Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subdood_ky_z6b

As promised - tree planting report

subdood_ky
8 years ago

OK, after introducing myself to the Forum in a previous post, here is the promised tree planting report. Bear with the wordiness, I am not the best self-editor.

Apples (planted 4/1):

Novaspy, on G16 rootstock

Grimes Golden (2), G16

Liberty, Winecrisp, G202

Golden Russet, G222

Goldrush, G890

Honeycrisp, G210

Roxbury Russet, G30

Pristine, King David, M7

Apples (planted 4/28):

Macoun, Cortland, M7

Winesap, from big box store, unknown rootstock, supposed to be semi-dwarf

Pears (planted 4/1):

Orient, Pineapple, Callery rootstock

Pear (planted 4/29)

Moonglow, from big box store, unknown rootstock, supposed to be semi-dwarf

Peaches (planted 4/1):

Redhaven, Coralstar, on Lovell rootstock

Pecans (I know, not fruit, but I like 'em, being a native Okie), planted 3/27:

2 each of Caddo, Oconee, Lakota, Zinner

So, there you have it, 27 trees planted over the last 5 weeks. So tired of digging; in planting the pecans, the soil was really rocky with small stones, had to use a pick axe to get some soil out. My wife was about to bury me after that ordeal. The other sites weren't as bad. Plus, staking them was a chore. Would be nice if some of them could do without the stakes after a few years. I imagine the M7's would be OK in a few years, our soil is a nice loamy, clay mix. I would imagine the other apple rootstocks would need to stay permanently staked, correct?

Just glad to get those out of the way, now that we're getting into planting the vegetable gardens. Lots of bush-hogging, plowing, discing, and tilling to get that going. Our taters are coming up, last I counted we had 180+ hills, and our seven rows of corn are now peaking thru the soil after a week. It's been a busy April, obviously, and still got more to plant in May.

The apples and peaches planted on the 1st were from Cummins out of NY, they were very nice and thick, ranging from 7/16 to 11/16 inch whips. Most were straight, but a few had curves in them, may not have got the best specimens, as I ordered relatively late, in mid March. That would also explain the varied rootstocks, as I had to take what I could get with the varieties I wanted. All of these have sprouted either leaves and some have bloomed out even without any branches on them, which I didn't think was possible with such young trees, but I am still new to this. I've pinched the blooms off, and left the leaves, which I hope was the right procedure. Will all these leaves eventually turn into branches? If those blooms were left on they wouldn't have turned in to fruit would they? I really hope I didn't screw them up by removing the blooms.

The other 2 apples were from Wallace Woodstock in Wisconsin, I planted them last night. They were 9/16" caliper and even had some small branches. The Winesap was a 13/16" caliper tree in a 5 gallon plastic pot that already had leafed out with blooms as well. I pinched the blossoms, and left the leaves. It is over 6 feet tall, I hope it will survive the transplanting. The Moonglow pear also was from the same store, potted in a similar pot, it has many branches and leaves on it also, but no blooms. Guess I will have to wait until next March to prune both of them, as I don't want to mess with them now since they're out of dormancy and were in the pots.

The pecans and other 2 pears were from PlantMeGreen out of Florida. The pecans were 2-3 foot whips, which were mostly straight, but a few were quite curved. The pears were nice and thick. I think I've only seen a couple of new buds on the pecans and the pears, so maybe they're just settling in. They're not dead, I did a "scratch test" and saw bright green under the bark. Just have to be patient, I guess.

I'm not even sure the pecans will do well here, they prefer long dry and warmer summer days, ala Oklahoma and Texas, but thought I'd give them a shot. People have seen pecan trees around here, just don't know how productive they are. Black walnuts are prolific here, we have a couple growing on the farm, but I do not like them, the flavor is too bitter, I would like to try growing some English walnuts here. Anybody on this forum in this part of the country have luck with pecans?

OK, I said I'm done with my tree selecting, but I must admit, I've been looking at adding some more. I would like to have a couple of tart cherry, in addition to a couple more peach and apple trees to the orchard, but guess I will have to wait until next year. Should wait to see what the present collection is going to do before getting more.

Well, guess I will close this novel for now. I welcome all questions, criticisms, suggestions, comments, as I am still learning about this field. Have learned a lot already but need more practical, real-world info as well. Take care.

Comments (14)

• sean_campbell36ny
    8 years ago

Did you get the G890 goldrush from Cummins? I've had trouble finding that rootstock, and it always intrigued me. I am curious as to your feedback from it (may take a few years to get any however)

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sean,

Yes, the G890 Goldrush was from Cummins. I didn't pick it based on the rootstock, if I can remember. I think I wanted a thicker caliper tree (this was a 11/16"), and it just happened to be a G890. I didn't want any of my trees to be super small (i.e. G65, G41) or close to standard size (too long to start producing). Just about all my selections were 40-70% of standard.

Based on your login name, are you in NY state? I was wondering if one could go to their nursery in Ithaca and pick up some of their product, or are they strictly an online/catalog outfit.

Yes, it's just a 3 foot whip with some leaves on it now, with no branches, so guess I'll have to wait a couple of years, I guess. Am excited about seeing how all my trees do, but will have to wait and see.

• lucky_p
    8 years ago

subdood,

Pecan grower from Western KY here (AL native, so I know what you mean about liking 'em). You should join the KY Nutgrowers Assn. KNGA

Only one of the varieties you planted that I have growing here is Lakota. Hasn't produced nuts for me yet, as I just grafted it a couple of years ago. Lots of pecans that'll likely do OK for you - but I'm not sure that the Southern varieties you selected are gonna fare well - but you may be OK.

I've been taking some good northern/midwestern pecan varieties to a friend in Bath Co.... so far, he's got (Converse)Major, Posey, Kanza, and Oswego growing. Will be a few years before they bear nuts, but I have no doubt that all of them will be hardy and productive there.

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lucky,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know the southern varieties may not fare too well here. I did try to find some Major, Posey or Greenriver varieties, which should be better for my location, but they're hard to find online. Nolin River Nursery is about the only site that offers these types, but they were sold out. So I went with the ones I could get at the time. I probably ordered them too late (March), so my chance of getting what I wanted were diminished. But, we'll see how the ones I do have pan out. Might get lucky with them.

• sean_campbell36ny
    8 years ago

I'm a few hours away from Cummins, I'm sure they would let people drive up there and pick out what they want. they probably have some larger caliper trees for sale for pickup as well. (just a guess)

With all those different rootstocks mixed together how did you end up spacing them in your orchard? just curious

also have you decided how your going to train them? central leader? modified? tall spindle?

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    8 years ago

I'm also concerned about your experiences with the G890 rootstock. I Planted 22 Honeycrisp trees a week ago with that rootstock. It just was the best option available to me at the time of selection. I've been plagued with uprooting Apple trees once they set fruit. Even though this rootstock should be selfstanding I pounded a stake next to each new tree while planting.

• lucky_p
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

dood,

I'm hedging my bets - I've got mostly northern/midwestern pecan varieties, but also have a few Southern types(including Stuart & Mahan, for nostalgic reasons) - and a few ultra-northern selections.

Any idea what seed-strain the understock is beneath those pecans? There's some risk of losing the whole deal if you get another winter like '14-15, and they're on Southern pecan understock. Sure would be best if they're on something like Giles, Major, etc. You might wanna contact the nursery and see if they can give you that info.

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sean,

I kind of based my spacing of all these different rootstocks on what I found on orangepippintrees.com. For the G16's. I gave them 12 feet, for all the others, about 15 feet. That's prob more than they need, but I didn't want to worry about them crowding each other out. I thought 15 feet for the 40-70% of standard rootstocks was plenty, especially if I prune them properly. I hope I'm not wrong! By the way, the spacing between rows is about 18 feet.

The site I listed was very informative about all the different rootstocks. I based a lot of my variety selections on what they had to say. I wanted a good mix of modern and heirloom disease resistant trees, with some good russets thrown in there. I had to get the other apple trees from other places as Cummins didn't have any of those in stock. The reason I got a couple of Grimes is that people around here rave about them, and it's a local variety, from West Virginia. One of my Grimes had already put out blossoms, and it's just a 3 foot whip. I pinched those off, and left all the leaves. I hope those blossoms weren't supposed to become new branches!

I don't know yet how I'm going to train them, still reading up on that. But, prob leaning to a central leader type. Still learning as I go. A few months ago, I knew nothing about rootstocks, grafting, fireblight, etc. Again, you or anyone, please let me know if I'm doing this right. It's a big investment and I want to do it right.

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barrie

Wow, that's a lot of Honeycrisps! Are you like a commercial orchardist? What were the rootstocks you had that blew over? Did you stake all your trees? I wonder where you are and your soil type.

I temporarily staked all my whips with 4 foot wooden tobacco stakes but have some 6 foot T-posts that will go in soon. I hope they'll work with these rootstocks. I have quite a few on M7, hopefully those won't have to be staked forever. I base that on on our soil, which is somewhat rocky, but is also nice and loamy. Our farm soil varies quite a bit, depending where you are. But most of it very good, compared to that gommy black clay we dealt with in North Texas. It was hard to get anything to grow in that stuff, but I think the oppressive heat had more to do with that!

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lucky,
    From what I read on the site I bought the pecans from, they're on Caddo rootstocks. Sounds like a southern type rootstock? That may not be hardy enough for our climate. All my varieties are rated to grow in zone 6, but zone 6 isn't the same in different parts of the country. Parts of New England are Z6, but pecans don't do well there.
    Hope we don't see another winter

like last year, otherwise my pecans might not make it. Just curious, how were you able to get Major or Giles varieties? I looked all over the Internet and couldn't find them. Guess I'd need to find a KY nursery and go get them in person.

You mentioned you sent some trees to someone in Bath county, we are not too far from there.

8 years ago

I have about 100 Apple trees. The Honeycrisp that I have (3) have sold out on picked apples quickest of any other variety so I'm banking on this being a variety of the future. I believe most of my trees are the EMLA26 rootstock. Some have been staked in almost every direction possible and still manage to uproot. I believe my soil is Hagerstown silt loam but it is very rocky. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a bunch of Apple trees laying over after a windy storm.

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barrie-

Honeycrisp sure seems to be one of the most popular varieties nowadays. From what I've heard it seems like a lot of orchards charge a premium on them, plus they seem to be higher in the stores as well. We're trying one of them (on a G210) as my wife likes them.

What other varieties are you growing and how have they done in your location?

I looked up Hagerstown silt loam, and it seems that that is kind of what we have here. It's kind of silty/rocky for the top eight inches or so, and a tan clay under that. We're on the side of a slope and have water veins running under our soil. I say that because if you dig deep enough, you hit moist clay. You are probably not that far from us in location or soil type, correct? We're in the western Appalachian foothills.

I planted our trees in a north-south orientation, and put the stakes on the south side of the trees as our predominant winds are from the south. Our apple trees are not too exposed to wind, as there is a hill with trees going up from behind them to the west, and a screen of trees on the north side of the property.

From what I read on G890's, they seem to be able to not need a lot of support, but I am definitely not saying that from a position of vast knowledge.

This site seemed to have some interesting info on various rootstocks, you may have seen it though:

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tree-fruit/commercial-tree-fruit-production/cultivars-and-rootstocks/apple-rootstocks

I also got some good information about rootstocks from a UK site:

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ho/ho82/ho82.pdf

8 years ago

My orchard has changed over the years. I used to have many MacIntosh, Red Delicious and Golden Del., but people just don't and those varieties anymore. My favorites are Smokehouse, Jonagold and Suncrisp. I have poor results with the Gala and Fuji trees that I have, probably due to location. Nittany is a good seller in PENN STATE country here. I also have a few Pristine, Liberty, Mutsu, Northern Spy, Rome, Ida Red, Jonafree and Winesap. Most of these are 25 years old or older and I've been cutting more down every year for different reasons.

After looking over the descriptions of different rootstocks I can understand the issues more. I used to have 2 Enterprise trees but both snapped off at the graft. One of those had almost uprooted as well. I miss that variety because they were one of my best keeping apples. The had no flavor when picked but the flavor improved after storage.

• subdood_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barrie,

Since you have so many years of harvesting samples, I'd like to know your opinions on the Liberty, Winesap and Pristine as those are some of the ones I'm trying out. I'd also like your comments on Jonagold and Suncrisp, as those are some I'd maybe like to try next year along with perhaps a Spigold, Kidd's Orange Red, Winter Banana and Summer Rambo. Also would like to add a couple more peach and tart cherry trees. Sweet cherries apparently don't do so well in these parts.

I considered an Enterprise, since it's supposed to be pretty disease resistant, but decided against it when I read about it not being too flavorful and have a thick skin. So, I picked something else. Smokehouse sounds like a good old variety, how is that Apple?

In that Penn State link it mentioned something about M26 trees breaking at the graft under high winds, so maybe that's something inherent with those rootstocks? I don't know if all your trees were/are on M26, but was wondering about that. Considering your trees are pretty old, maybe these newer Geneva rootstocks weren't around then? Though I did read that the G30 might have some weak graft unions with certain varieties, don't know if your considering that rootstock. It sounds like those G890's would be a pretty good RS for your Honeycrisp's.

OK, guess I'll head outside and check on the "orchard", while the weather's decent, it's been pretty dreary and rainy the last few days. But, I did hear a rumble of thunder, though.