Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladkins707

Front Flower Bed Design Help

ladkins707
7 years ago

We recently took down an old tree that hid our house for years! I now need to get my front (west facing) bed (left of porch) cleaned out and spruced up for a low maintenance bed. I have a few ornamental grasses (all minscanthus, a couple morning light and one that is solid green) elsewhere in the yard that need splitting. I want low maintenance, so I thought of using those and maybe some salvia (Little Night) or English Lavender in front of grasses. House if 40' wide, so I probably have a good 18-20' to work with (depth around 5') Zone 6 Michigan. Thanks for any tips!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    7 years ago

Given the size of your area, we agree your
    grasses, will work… BUT we believe you may want to find something that will
    occupy space. In specific, the space on the front wall of your home, directly
    to the left of the porch is bold and ought to be softened or broken up. In
    addition to shrubbery that can work, we would suggest the possibility of window
    boxes to break up the hard surfaces.

In addition to that, we would suggest the
    possibility of increasing your flower bed size to include more shape and
    greater balance and symmetry for the property. We would achieve this by
    stretching the flower bed around to the side of the home and out from the home
    itself. Utilizing flower bed shape; outlining the entrance and creating
    planting specific zones; would add depth and excitement to the property. In
    addition, we would also create a division or outlining or defining of spaces by
    using either a retaining wall material, or an ultra reasonably priced option
    can be found with decorative landscape edging. We have a number of options available for you; subject to the finished look
    you wish to achieve, the Pro Aluminum Edging or our Stone Edge Decorative Edging are viable tasteful and inexpensive options for you.
    {www.yardproduct.com}.

Given your zone 6 location {USDA Hardiness
    index not Sunshine Climate index}; your choices for plant material are vast,
    the planting season is long {mid-end of March to end of November} and
    conditions are favorable to plant material that does not require hot or dry
    weather specifically.

Examples: Full
    sun perennials

Full
    to part shade perennials

Deciduous
    trees and shrubs

Conifers

To name a few…

Hope this helped!!

• ladkins707
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate all of your suggestions. I love the stone edging and will definitely look into a window box. That particular flower bed does actually wrap around the house, but because of the elevation and sidewalk, I would not be able to change the shape.

• liserb1357
    7 years ago
    a japanese maple in the area where the tree was would be nice. are you having the stump removed? mulch that area and plant with your ornamental grasses or lower growing plants that look nice with maple. are you looking to plant another tree elsewhere to help with shade since your home is west facing? not sure what zone you are in, but an evergreen tree in your yard would be nice. layer your foundation plantings and plant in drifts...3 or5 plants together, taller in back, preferably evergreen and then build out with shorter shrubs
  • liserb1357
    7 years ago
    just saw that you have a beautiful evergreen in the front!
  • liserb1357
    7 years ago
    sorry, i must need to eat...saw your zone and other info!!! will post later if i think of anything productive. don't mind me.