Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buffy3_gw

Rug or no rug? Round or square?

buffy3
7 years ago
Do I need a rug underneath my table? It is 4ft by 5 ft 1 ". If so does it need to be round or square?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Magda Interiors
    7 years ago

I think round rug will look nice since the table is oval shape. Square might not work, if not round then rectangle will work better.

Magda

• buffy3
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And also what size would be best?
  • PRO
    Magda Interiors
    7 years ago

6'x7' should work, you want to have rug extending beyond the table so the chair sits on it.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Rug should be 8x9 or 4' wider and longer than the table. You don't want it to run into walls or furniture on the walls though. Perhaps an 8x10 rectangle would suit. Use painter's tape and tape that out on the floor to see.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

I agree with deco. Are you looking for a traditional rug or a more modern rug?

If you go with a round rug, you will most likely be more limited in rug options.

• PRO
    Superior Hardwood Flooring
    7 years ago

If this is your first time placing a rug on a hardwood floor, be mindful of the fact that when a rug sits on a hardwood floor. For an extended period of time and in a particular area with a high amount of sunlight, you can eventually get a color variation from the rug covered flooring to the other flooring.

Direct sunlight does effect a wood flooring's coloration over time but with rugs or mats it can create an inconsistency in the color of your floor.

http://www.superiorflooring.ca/education-center/warranty-registration

If you look at our warranty for our products you can find such information towards the bottom of page 7.

Best of luck with your rug search!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have done both. I now have no rug and find it much better. Many other ways to add color and personality than a crumb catching rug. IF this is in a place of rare use than that would be another thing, but if it is the main eating station then I would forgo the rug;)

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

now see, if crumbs are heading for the floor i'd rather the rug be there to keep them in place than have them skittering every which way.

the idea of marking where the back legs of the chairs are when they have been pushed back for ease of sitting and standing is good. better to have no rug than one thats too small to function. but if that size would be too close to the walls to look good, then skip it.

• Angie K
    7 years ago
    I say add a rectangular rug. Will add warmth and color.
  • buffy3
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much. I used to have a rug and then got rid of it just wasn't the right texture and size so before I purchased another I thought I would get some good ideas. Great ideas to all. I do have long curtains that aren't up yet to warm the space but I think a rug will add some also. We rarely eat at the table mostly at the ballpark!
  • Kat B
    7 years ago
    OP-I'm having the same dilemma right now. Love your space. GL! You had some great feedback. Hoping I'll get the same. :)
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

oh gosh margo if my cat is going to hurl she'll find her way to the oriental in the library just in time.....

• User
    7 years ago

Ain't that the truth!!

• PRO
    Farhadian - Esmail & Soehne
    7 years ago

Very nice sweet Home!

Just to give a recommendation according this photo ( without having seen other rooms) you need a rectangle rug. And yes, you need a rug, for sure. Such a nice place and space and no rug ??

And for sure, for this room, you need an original handmade persian rug.

If you would go into modern style, you should also choose something in 100% natural materials and 100% natural colours, like this:

Lori Baseri · More Info

And very well mentioned " Superior Hardwood Flooring ", some rugs may change the colour by coming into contact with sunlight. In Normal, synthetic used colours will change their shades, 100% vegetable used colours will not change their shade.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

No rug if you're doing drapery panels. Maybe there is a better light bulb for the pendant? Maybe a contrasting color in the china cabinet.

• Ann
    7 years ago

No rug.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County