Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcantonio_gw

need to add soil to a large raised bed- need advice on what to add.

marcantonio
7 years ago

i need to add soil to a large 16 by 4 ft bed. a couple inches. baged soils around here are costly and not much is available. i was thinking of mixing baged top soil with scotts so called topsoil which is mostly organic matter at a ratio of two bags top soil to one bag scotts. or perhaps a layer of top soil and a layer of peat moss. peat is expensive around here. any other suggestions?

Comments (16)

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You should add composted manure to that mix.

Has it dropped a couple inches over the last year? The most cost-effective solution would be if you could add your own homemade compost, but that doesn't appear to be an option. You could try getting it by the yard from a local place, but I doubt that will save you any money after delivery fees. Bagged manure and topsoil might be your best bet here, aside from taking shovels of topsoil from your own property.

Do you have room to start your own compost? That's really the best way to go, but will take at least a few months to get anything. I'm thinking long-term.

• marcantonio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think could even put a dent in the amount I would need to make home made compost. I have other plots as well. on the plots that are not raised beds I just add humus and manure at 1.69 per bag. but I don't really want to add it to the raised beds its very clumpy and heavy. plus I think I should add some mineral soil. another thing is the bagged top soil comes so saturated.

• marcantonio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ps. would you believe composted horse manure is 12 dollars a small bag at a nearby nursery. a little exaggerated I think.

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago

You would make at least 2 big piles. One for using, one for waste throughout the year, then alternate. At the very least, it's way better quality than what you're gonna buy in a bag...oh and it's FREE :-)

Can you mix this added soil into the existing soil or are you filling it in around plants?

What?! Is there gold nuggets in it?

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago

If you get anything from a local nursery, it's likely gonna cost you more money.

Do you have a home improvement store nearby?

• marcantonio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yeah we have lowes, home depot and Walmart. but they discontinued a lot of the products I liked its mostly scotts and miracle grow stuff.

yes i'm addind to existing soil to prepare the beds for planting. the soil is nice dark black I see plenty of worms. just that the beds are down a few inches. I always scratch in dehydrate chicken manure and a little lime after preparing the ground . then during the season side dress . for some reason every where I add peat moss things grow great but its just so expensive.

• zzackey
    7 years ago

Do you have some place you can start a compost pile? You can mix it with next year's garden soil. Kitchen scraps, leaves, grass clippings.

• qaguy
    7 years ago

A good digging will raise the soil level. My beds are always down 1-3 inches every year. Once I overturn all the soil, it's back to what passes for normal. As the year passes, the effect of watering and just plain old gravity will compact the soil. Digging it up and overturning will add air to the soil and thus add volume.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

i need to add soil to a large 16 by 4 ft bed. a couple inches.

For 2" you will need about 32 cf. That is over one cu-yd.

The least expensive : Check HD. They might carry something called "steer Manure Compost" > here in my area they sell one cf bag for ~$1.60. That is cheaper than top soil. Anything else (bagged) will cost over $3 per cf.

Sey

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago
    Wouldn't 32 cu ft be for 6", Sey? Maybe I calculated wrong.
  • Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

You are right Chris. My arithmetic sucks : hehe

Two inch is 1/6th of a foot, not 1/2. My mistake.

Now it is better on Marcantoni's wallet. lol

Sey

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago

Haha indeed!

If it is only 2", even better. You would be looking at like 11 cu ft., so that eliminates 2 more bags of soil right there.

• Michael Stevens
    7 years ago

Look for virgin soil then add peat moss. Where I live there are housing developments where virgin land is being cleared and they are advertising to get rid of the soil. Virgin soil is disease free and full of minerals. Just add humus and compost.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    7 years ago

Have you tried calling a local landscaping company that sells bulk products? Locally I can order compost mixed with sand by the cubic yard and have it delivered. It works extremely well.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    7 years ago

My experience (long ago) with "bagged topsoil" is that it is mostly cr*p. The Scotts name might, however, assure some quality. "So called" topsoil is likely to be an accurate description. I agree that you need to just mix compost into the topsoil you already have. I don't think peat moss will really serve any purpose, unless you're trying to lighten up clay. It's pretty pricey as well.