Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandcpyle

Has anyone built Don Gardner's Sandy Creek?

jandcpyle
7 years ago

We really like this design and wondering if anyone has built it? Would love to see some photos if available. We will be building in the Upstate of SC

Comments (28)

• jandcpyle
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Kim! I was wondering how your house was coming along. We haven't started anything yet, we are living out of the country right now, but should be returning to the Upstate later next year. We won't be too far from you, up near Traveler's Rest. Still looking at plans and making wish lists. Hoping all is going well for you!

• Kim Taylor
    7 years ago

Hello Cheri! All is coming along well. The builder's schedules has a Dec 20th completion date!!! Starting to get excited!

Are you guys working with BMW? I ask because that is very popular lately. I had a friend whose husband spent 2 years in Germany and she went with him. They just got back ~ August. I've spoken with her a few times at church since she's been back.

We used Paradise Builders... if you'd like any tips, let me know. My email is Kimela.Lanford@gmail.com. Also, if you're home for the holidays - let us know and we can let you know where the house is located so you can take a look.

Safe travels.

Kim

jandcpyle thanked Kim Taylor
  • lola2324
    7 years ago

I am interested in seeing pictures and any suggestions you may have about the Sandy Creek plan. We are considering this plan and the Westlake, they are very similar. Thank you greatly!

• Kim Taylor
    7 years ago

Hey lola2324! So sorry for responding so late. I just saw your message. The Westlake was one of our favorites also! We have met friends who are building that one nearby. Final inspections are being scheduled for our house and I will be happy to share pics/suggestions if you'd like to email me. Kimela.Lanford@gmail.com

• tealker79
    6 years ago

We are building the Sandy Creek on Ky lake as totally redid the kitchen. Would love to know if you did shelves beside fireplace or no shelves

• Kim Taylor
    6 years ago
    We love the look of the freestanding fireplace, so we did not put up any shelves beside it.
  • Ashley D
    6 years ago
    Hi we are about to break ground soon building the Sandy Creek also! I'd love to pictures if anyone wants to share! Especially the kitchen and master bath
  • Kim Taylor
    6 years ago
    Ashley, go to the Donald Gardner website. They’ve recently added new pics of the Sandy Creek.
  • Ashley D
    6 years ago
    Hi we are about to break ground on the Sandy Creek. Would love to exterior and interior pics if anyone has them. Thanks son much!
  • Julia White
    6 years ago
    Kim I saw pictures of your build on don Gardner site. We love your interiors. Would you mind sharing where you found your front door. I noticed you added a regular door to garage how much did you extend the garage? We were planning to do that also. Thanks we are hoping to start our retirement home in a couple years and I am getting my list ready to talk to builders. We are building in NC near Blowing Rock. Anything else you would change now that you have lived in this floor plan would be greatly appreciated. You built a beautiful home!
  • Kim Taylor
    6 years ago

Thank you so much Julia! We are happy to answer any questions you may have.

We extended the garage 4' for the man door which also allowed us to add a powder bath to the main floor for guests.

Our double entry doors are from the Breezeport Collection and can be purchased from any Builders First Source or whichever lumber supply company you are using.

Can't really think of a thing we would have changed - except perhaps extending the bays on the back of the house to the lower bedrooms also. The downstairs bedrooms are already a great size, but this would have added more windows, light and a nice window seat to each bedroom.

Are you building this plan or a similar plan?

• Ashley D
    6 years ago
    We added a third window across on each side. Which made the lower bedrooms, master bedrooms and breakfast area larger. We haven't gotten to far. Would love to pics of the kitchen if anyone has any
  • Julia White
    6 years ago
    Kim Thanks so much for answering my questions. We are going to talk to builders this year and get some idea of costs and to be sure this plan fits our mountain site. We are also planning to make the bedrooms areas bump out to match the upper level, so hearing you mention that helps. Where did you add the 1/2 bath and did that add space to the laundry. I want a bench and drop zone in the back area by garage. Did you have Gardner modify your plan or your builder?
  • Julia White
    6 years ago
    Ashley adding a 3rd window sounds great. Would love to hear how your build goes. Did you have Don Gardner change the plan or your builder. We are contemplating some plan changes also and just wondering if the builder can make them or do we need to figure them out first before buying a study set of plans and have Don Gardner do them with the changes. Thanks for your help. Would love to see pictures of your build.
  • Kim Taylor
    6 years ago

Ashley, if you'll send your email address, I'll forward some pics.

• Kim Taylor
    6 years ago

Julia, We modified the plans ourselves with the builder. I believe it will depend on how many items you are changing and to what extent. Our powder bath is in between the laundry and pantry. We added a window in there as well.

The drop zone will work well for you at the end of the hall where the closet currently shows in the plan. It will be a little longer as well if you add the man-door extension.

• Ashley D
    6 years ago
    Hi Kim, my email is ashleynicoledalton@gmail.com. Thanks so much and looking forward to seeing pics
  • jkennedy44
    6 years ago

Hi Kim, we are looking at home plans and picked our builder and lovethis home!!! Any pictures (other than what is on Don Gardner’s site and tips would be greatly appreciated! Also I have seen estimated building costs on some of his plans but don’t on this one. Didn’t know if you would mind sharing. My email is jennie.g.gavin@gmail.com

• Kim Taylor
    6 years ago

Hello Jennie, we are on the road today but I'm emailing my phone number to you if you'd like to schedule a chat. We will be glad to answer any questions.

• Chris & Meredith Pugh
    5 years ago

Hi, I'm not sure if folks are still active on this thread but wanted to reach out. We are looking at building this plan with some modifications here in the Charlotte, NC area and wanted to see if others had build this plan in the area and discuss some things with you. The prices we are getting to build it are vastly different (between $400K-$600K. We are looking to expand the basement bay windows out to align with the top and to make some of the basement into liveable space (ie: moving closets behind the bathrooms to make each bedroom like a suite. We custom built a Don Gardner plan 10 years ago with all brick, HW floors, Granite, etc for $110 a sq foot, I've heard prices have gone up but not really sure how much. Would love to walk the house as well if someone within 100 miles is building one now. I truly appreciate your help and any input you can provide. Thanks, Meredith P.

• Julia White
    4 years ago

Hi Meredith,
    I was wondering if you built the SandyCreek. We are planning to break ground in early summer near Lenoir NC. We would appreciate talking to you about your build if you did build this. If you have any photos we would love to see them.

• Jo Oldfield
    2 years ago

I would love to see if there is anyone local to us that has followed through with building the Sandy Creek. We are building it now in Casar NC and would like to ask some questions.

Thank you!

• Julia White
    2 years ago

Hi Jo

We are building now. Its been a challenge with supply chain issues. We are hoping to move in January fingers crossed. I am happy to try and answer your questions. We are building in NC also.

Good Luck on your build.

• Jo Oldfield
    2 years ago

Hey Julia! Where are you guys located? I would love to connect. Are you on social media at all? Just trying to find a way to get you my phone number.

• Penny Woody
    3 months ago

Any suggestions for reducing the size of the Sandy Creek? We love this plan but have decided to downsize as our children are leaving home.

• Kim Taylor
    3 months ago

Hello Penny.

Have you considered leaving the basement unfinished, or maybe only finishing the downstairs living room?

There are several similar plans but smaller. Have you looked at the Silvergate or the WestLake?

Kim

• Penny Woody
    3 months ago

I will look at those plans. Thank you!