Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkalzamora100

kohler prolific or stages 33

lkalzamora100
8 years ago

Our reno is coming along slowly but we are making progress. It is time to make a decision on a prep sink so I can get countertops. Our main sink will be a 33 Kraus farm sink. Our prep sink will be in the island which will likely be 81x45. Right now the two contenders are the stages 33 or the prolific. I am leaning toward the stages for the accessories and my husband is liking the prolific for the three levels. This sink will be exclusively used for prep.

Do any of you have any thoughts on which I should choose? Is there any other sink which I should be considering? Galley sink is just to pricey for us.

Help me make a decision or I will never get countertops.

Comments (11)

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

I have the Stages 33 for a prep/pot sink, really like it. It is large enough to wash the pots, pans, baking sheets etc. I like the ledge, don't really use accessories other than the cutting board.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

The principal difference between the two is the way it's used. They are very different.

Stages is designed for prep cooking essentially as it comes with mis en place bowls.

Prolific is designed for clean up and for those who wash using a tub and want an integral dishrack that fits into the sink. Prolific also has accessories for washing and cutting so it's flexible.

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those are exactly my thoughts. The stages is designed for prep and the prolific for clean up. As we already have a clean up sink so I don't want any clean up in my prep sink. Also the prolific cutting board is way too small. My husband is pushing for the prolific saying that he will make me a larger cutting board. I was hoping that someone could come up with an additional argument that would help sway my husband. I have gotten my way on almost everything, so I want him to have this choice.

Do you think I would I regret getting the prolific?

• rococogurl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Re prep. The colanders work nicely. Those can be adjusted on the tiers inside for scraps to compost if you want. Those are handy. You can always throw a long cutting board over the top of the sink and then scrap off into it. The drain in that sink looks great btw.

My hesitation with the Prolific would be no metal sink grid at the bottom. I would use the dish drainer pieces lower to drain stuff -- like a sink grid.

But it still can be used as a prep sink and it's a great one.

There's also this one which I just stumbled on -- you might check it out. It's a Ruvati, similar with a larger board. Perhaps a good compromise.

• mrspete
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I vote Stages. I really like the idea of three ledges, and a cabinet maker could mimic the ledge (which I'm 100% sure I'd like) in a countertop ... but the thing I don't like about the Prolific is that the ledges are "angled", and I am afraid after-market accessories wouldn't sit nicely on the ledges. I also remember saying to myself that I didn't like the Prolific's drain as much, but I don't remember why.

Of course, this is conjecture, not experience speaking, so if anyone owns this sink and says differently, I will bow to that experience.

• User
    8 years ago

I have the 33 and it's my only sink. I use all the accessories, it's plenty big to wash all my pots and pans. I also bought a railing rack to let things drip dry.. It fits across the ledge area. When not in use it rolls up and fits under the sink.

If you use the search feature you will find many threads discussing this topic complete with the ledge issues and what people did for their renovation.

• ediblekitchen
    8 years ago

" I was hoping that someone could come up with an additional argument that would help sway my husband."

Why you need the Stages:

1. It is designed for prep (accessories, larger cutting board, ledge, etc.)

2. It comes with the sink grid

3. It is a better quality of stainless steel (16 gauge)

and you think you would regret it if you didn't get it.

If that is not enough of an argument for the Stages, I don't know what is.

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I decided I just have to go with the stages. Poor Hubby. He has to give in with everything. Although it did take 11 years for him to finally give in with replacing our floors..

• smm5525
    8 years ago

I too am debating between the two but leaning toward Stages since it'll be our only sink. I don't know about having the cutting board set into the sink in the prolific. Seems kinda awkward to chop into the sink perimeter.

• Lisa
    8 years ago

I wouldn't want the Stages 33 if it were my only sink because the bowl is smaller, but since you are looking for a prep sink only that seems like it may be the best choice. (I'm laughing about your poor hubby, because I'm having trouble giving up any decisions myself.)

Since we are only going to have one sink, it will be the Prolific for us. Actually this thread helped solidify my decision. It seems like it can handle both prep and clean up well. My only real concern with the Prolific is the sharp corners on the sides. I hope they are not hard to clean. I'm not too concerned about using the cutting board. It is the drains lower in the sink that I love and having a smaller wash bowl and colander will be useful at times.