Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzi

A couple of Q's for Gardengal&Mike from across the pond

houzi
7 years ago

Hi guys,just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Gardengal,I've often seen you recommending people take samples of sick plants or suspect soil to their 'local extension office'..what exactly is an extension office?..Who runs it? how is it funded? is it free to use by anyone? The reason I ask is because I wish we had something like it here!

..and Mike,I've got some Circinatum rootstocks,a plant that isn't really grown much here except for the occasional cultivar.Looking at them leafing out now the leaves are quite pleasant to look at.I'm sure you must have some in your 'Forrest' :)..what do you think of this plant? is it a nice tree?..any fall colour?...I was thinking of saving one and growing it on so any info greatly appreciated

thanks for your time guys.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Very nice explanation of the program!! Depending on where you live - rural or urban/suburban areas - local extension offices are either focused on assisting home gardeners or farmers. Soil analysis (in some cases), plant disease and pest diagnosis, the issuing of publications dealing with items of horticultural significance or interest and the compiling of lists of suitable plants are all resources one can find through the extension service. And they are usually free (soil testing sometimes comes with a fee, as do services of the plant pathology labs).

The extension service is also the source of the Master Gardener program, which was developed initially to relieve some of the demands on the extension agents and utilizes trained home gardeners volunteers to assist other home gardeners with questions and advice on gardening and horticulture. In fact, the MG program was started here in WA state in the early 70's and is now active in all 50 states and Canada (they operate under a different but similar system).

houzi thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • houzi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thankyou for the detailed explanation Cearbhail &GG,I've been wondering about this for quite some time...I'm quite jealous.To be honest I wouldn't have a clue where to get anything analysed.If it would cost our government anything to set up and run,there's no chance of us getting a similar set up here ha ha.
    As you said cearbhail,it sounds like a place worth a visit to anyone,and that Master Gardener scheme seems a great idea GG!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"that Master Gardener scheme seems a great idea GG!"

In theory it is :-) Gardeners helping other gardeners is a wonderful concept and is what's behind the success of these forums. However, the program often attracts personality types that take the title of 'Master Gardener' a bit too literally. Some tend to become a little arrogant with what is just some very basic training - certainly nothing that would qualify them for being a "master" or "expert" at anything!! But there are just as many, if not more, members that are helpful, gracious and quite knowledgeable in their own right and lack the arrogance and condescension of the self-proclaimed know-it-alls.

• houzi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes,a lovely concept.Shame about the big heads though I hope they are few and far between,I wonder why they joined if they're gonna be like that.

Ah well,though we'll never get a similar scheme here I've always got you and this forum :)

• Mike
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Houzi, I live near a small town called Maple Valley. It used to be called Vine Maple Valley. :-) There are a lot of Vine Maples here growing as an understory tree. They have better Fall color growing with more sun than deep shade. No water in the Fall and plant in good draining soil for the best Fall color.

I like the tree a lot and have some planted right up by the house. They rank right up there with most Japanese maples in my opinion.

Here's one showing some Fall color growing over the bluff behind my house. Looking northeast.

Mike

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Botann/IMG_0512.jpg

• houzi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me Mike.Well it looks a cool tree there,nice and open which is what I like...s'funny...for no reason at all I didn't expect a nice red fall colour,an added bonus.If you rate them that's good enough for me.One of my little fellows will be saved now but it's got a long way to go.
    Cheers again Mike :)