Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymemarie

need flooring help!!

jaymemarie
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I just purchased this home. It currently has a bit of a Tuscan look, and we will be renovating it to fit our more Transitional style. We actually also love some modern farmhouse looks, and industrial modern, but the front of the home is more traditional so we were thinking a transitional look would be best. Anyway, we are not fans of the tile that is here. We love grays or greige walls and this cream tone just won't work. We also plan to renovate the kitchen, with white cabinets and possibly marble backsplash, etc.

We need help with ideas for the floors. We are nervous to use wood as we have a dog and two rowdy little boys, there is also a pool off the back where kids could track in water. AND, my husband is not a fan of the wood look tiles. He's a woodworker and has a hard time dealing with fake wood. lol. I'd love any and all suggestions for a durable but chic flooring option.

Comments (15)

• Elle
    7 years ago

Solid hardwood?

jaymemarie thanked Elle
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    7 years ago
    Check out Coretech premium planks. it has a vinyl top layer and a composite core. I did a few floors for clients and ended up doing my whole house with it. Perfect for pets and pools.
    jaymemarie thanked Norm Walters Construction Inc.
  • PRO
    Alexis Dietrich Designs
    7 years ago
    Wood porcelain tile would look great. It's really durable and still gives off the rich look of hardwood!
    jaymemarie thanked Alexis Dietrich Designs
  • Dee Joy
    7 years ago
    Here's another
    jaymemarie thanked Dee Joy
  • User
    7 years ago
    What are you referring to when you say Tuscan? It has a 80 s and 90 s look. No Tuscan, except maybe the colors. You have very basic, builder grade materials. Oak cabinets, tile floors.
    What do you want to change? I highly suggest hiring a good interior designer to update your new home. You will get hundreds of comments here, but you need a well planned design.
    A designer will save you money by preventing design mistakes.
    jaymemarie thanked User
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    7 years ago
    Design mistakes? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    jaymemarie thanked Norm Walters Construction Inc.
  • User
    7 years ago
    Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to resale, believe me, you want something that is in keeping with the style of the home. This is a large space and is going to be a good chunk of change to redo. Better to have a well planned design, working with the clients budget, and style of the home.
    jaymemarie thanked User
  • leelee
    7 years ago

If there weren't design mistakes then there would be no need for Houzz Design Dilemma. Nobody wants to waste money and time and the hassle of installing floors or backsplash, etc. and then realizing how awful it looks.

jaymemarie thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Porcelain plank tiles? These come in lots of colors.

• leelee
    7 years ago

The whatever floors you decide on would look best if they were in all the rooms.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO the interior of a house can be different from the exterior style and I do that very often in my work. As for flooring hardwood and dogs don’t go together but i do agree a good designer needs to be involved in this remake as there are many things that need to be addressed to get this to a style you like ( all the arches for instance) I think you could do a modern farmhouse look in here but it will take $$$ and a good design so before the floors become an issue there will be lots of other things to do

jaymemarie thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • jaymemarie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone for all of your help! Luckily my husband is extremely handy and has worked in home construction, so we can do almost all of it ourselves. We do plan to stream line most of the arches, make the columns that cannot be removed more straight/boxed, etc.

we were thinking about maybe a dark gray tile (6"x24) laid out in a herringbone pattern. If we did tile we can flow it through all of the main living spaces to create a flow and not chop it up.

Do do you think a dark gray will feel too cold? We thought we could bring in wood touches to bring more warmth. A wood topper on the mantle, a few beams, etc.

thoughts?:)

• User
    7 years ago
    You have been given some excellent advice from the pros.
    I realize you just bought this house and want to make several changes to make it more your style.
    Don't change anything before you have a plan. It's great your hubs is handy and can do the work, but you can't attack this one project at a time. The floor needs to go with he cabinets, which need to go with the paint, which needs to go with the wood finishes, etc. You need a well thought out plan. Invest up front in an interior designer who will save you tons of money, by helping you with budget and design. She can source materials at her cost and pass them on to you.
    Interview at least three designers. Most will do an initial free consultation. It will be the best use of your money!
    Installing grey floors immediately will open a whole can of worms. Nothing right now will work with grey. Take your time, so you can enjoy your home for years to come :)
    jaymemarie thanked User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO if your hubby can do the grunt work you are way ahead budget wise and I think gray large format porcelain tile in a stacked patern will work better than hrringbone which IMO is a busy pattern for a large area KISS is a good rule for major elements in a home

jaymemarie thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting