Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weberriver

Help with identifying this fragrant pink rose, please?

weberriver
7 years ago

I know it's a long shot, but hopefully someone will recognize this rose. It was planted no later than the early 2000s and could be much older. It's very fragrant, with a scent I'd describe as fruity/wild rose-like. It doesn't seem to like setting self-pollinated hips, but it will accept pollen from other roses and has been successful as a pollen parent too.

The bloom is similar to Belinda's Dream, but this bush has noticeably rounder leaves.

Thank you very much for any help!

Comments (27)

• blocke19
    7 years ago

Frederic Mistral?

• cecily
    7 years ago

Where are you located? How large is the bush by the end of a growing season? Winter hardy? Much BS?

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in northern Utah, zone 6b. Winter hardy: apparently yes. It survived the nasty 2013-2014 winter without protection, and as I recall, didn't suffer notable damage. It's a gradual grower and tends to spread outward more so than upward. So it's one of the shorter plants in the garden. Blooms often have fewer/smaller petals in the summer heat, unfortunately I don't have a photo of those. I don't remember seeing BS on it before, but that doesn't have a strong presence in this garden anyway (thankfully). This year we have had mildew and rust -- it got exactly one spot of rust, and while its leaves stayed clean of mildew, a few of its buds were badly damaged by it.

Frederic Mistral is a possibility, but I'm not sure about it. Color and petal shape seems off.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

I think it looks like Belinda's Dream. Not sure that one is scented thou.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is similar to Belinda's Dream. But based on pictures at helpmefind.com, that one has longer leaves with deep serration, also really dark green. I've never seen leaves like that on this bush. Also, this one's blooms appear more prone to nodding than Belinda's.

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

The chances are that it would have been purchased locally from a nursery. You could try asking at a local nursery, especially one which has been business since before 2000. It does look like a fairly recent cultivar, I would guess one released not earlier than about the mid eighties, and likely more recent than that.

• noacceptance772
    7 years ago

I have a feeling it might definitely be Queen Elizabeth http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.245728

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Too many petals for Queen Elizabeth, which also has little if any fragrance. It's not BD, either. Medium pinks are the toughest to ID, because there are so many good ones. Whatever it is, its' a keeper.

• pugetsoundgardener
    7 years ago

QE nas a different shape and only a very mild fragrance.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, we have a Queen Elizabeth too, and this unknown one is very different. Also the QE bush is about 4 feet taller than it, haha. Your QE is beautiful, pugetsoundgardener!

• pugetsoundgardener
    7 years ago

Thanks! It's about 8' tall, and I'm really happy just to know what it is! We inherited a bunch of roses with this 100 year old house and I'm still trying to figure out what I have.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's similar to my situation -- I inherited my grandparents' rose garden. I've been trying to ID them for a couple of years now, and so far have only found the names for three. It's fun but also frustrating, lol. So hopefully you will have more luck than me with learning the names for all your roses. And how lovely it must be to live in a home with so much history!

• pugetsoundgardener
    7 years ago

I have two positive IDs so far, one possible ID and one complete mystery. Plus I just put another rose up in hopes of an ID. It's sure interesting having such an old garden! If you have older roses the Antique Roses forum is a good plan to ask.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I saw your thread in the antiques forum and also the one you posted here about your unknown pink #3...it's funny because that one looks a lot like my Queen Elizabeth! Even though your first pink rose was ID'd as it (and that bloom is a similar color/shape). Maybe the first one is the climber version, the canes look like it could be? *shrugs*

• pugetsoundgardener
    7 years ago

Well QE has hips, so I think that disqualifies pink rose #3 which this one doesn't. They seem to think it's a bit more modern than QE as well...

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

First Prize and Bewitched are lovely, but they don't look like they have enough petals, and shape is different.

• cecily
    7 years ago

It resembles some photos of Sonia Rykiel. I haven't grown that one myself.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I looked at the HMF page for Sonia Rykiel. The bloom form looks like it favors more of a cupped, old-fashioned shape. It appears that it sometimes has an yellow tint to it too, which I've never seen with this one. Mine is always a light pink. Gorgeous rose though.

One thing I noticed about the rose today that may help an ID -- the scent has changed with the hotter temperatures. Now it smells strongly of lemonade/citrus! Really incredible scent. I wish there was a way to convey it here.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some more pics I took today.

Peeling petals back to see the stamens. This rose is a pollen machine. I used it on a couple Westerland buds this year, and I probably could've made several dozen crosses with the pollen from just one of these roses. Can't say the same for Westerland's pollen, sadly.

• littlesmokie
    7 years ago

Jadis aka Fragrant Memory? Or Perfume Delight? Both varieties have fabulous fragrance--among the very best--and both can have very double blooms that quill like your mystery rose.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Perfume Delight's color is too dark, but Jadis is like mine. Can't find photos of blooms that really resemble my rose's form though.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

How about the nodding The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Oh never mind the petals don't roll back on TIMF.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a list of other roses I've found to be similar, but not quite right.

Arrillaga

Lady Alice Stanley

Savoy Hotel

Simone

St Elizabeth of Hungary

Mum in a Million

• littlesmokie
    7 years ago

You might add Sweet Surrender to your list of "ruled out" roses. Another very similar bloom form, color, possessing fantastic fragrance, with a growth habit like your photos. However the blooms are much flatter and never quill.

It is also definitely not Frederic Mistral.

• weberriver
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Got a pic of this rose bush's altered summer bloom -- new blooms formed in the heat don't like to quill, old blooms still do: