Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Very bright orange rose?

treeguy123
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

What is a commonly sold rose in the last 10 years that is very bright hot orange/salmon color? I've seen it planted in a few yards, and I love it. It seems to just glow because is so bright and vivid looking. The closet picture I've seen is 'Livin’ Easy' rose.

Like this picture:

Photo Link

Are there any other common sold roses that look almost just like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (31)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Westerland maybe?

treeguy123 thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • romogen
    7 years ago
    treeguy123 thanked romogen
  • fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    7 years ago

Try contacting the poster jim1961, who posts on this forum - I think that's his photobucket album.

treeguy123 thanked fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Jim has Easy Does It, but he may have had Living Easy in the past. see if you can find Meilove orange on Help Me Find Roses. That rose just glows orange. It comes in other colors, too, and those may be listed. The orange may not be sold here yet. Diane

treeguy123 thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

I left Jim a message on the Spring is Sprung thread that he frequents, but he said he might be away for awhile. Meanwhile, there are some good suggestions here.

treeguy123 thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Actually that picture link I posted is of 'Livin’ Easy' rose.

I found it by searching 'Livin’ Easy' rose in google images

Here is the post with that image:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1703338/livin-easy-rose-question

I was just wondering if there are any other commonly sold roses in the last 10 years that look like that 'Livin’ Easy' photo of Jim's. Sorry for the confusion. :-)

I would love to have a disease resistant rose that continuously bloomed and had color like that image of 'Livin’ Easy'. I'm just not sure if the rose I've seen at other peoples house are 'Livin’ Easy' or another very bright rose that looks similar. It has to be likely sold at big box stores every once in a while to be the one I've seen.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    7 years ago

Vavoom is Very bright orange, it's pretty popular, sold at a lot of nurseries, probably big box stores too.

treeguy123 thanked ratdogheads z5b NH
  • vasue VA
    7 years ago

Easy Does It shows that vivid orange in cooler weather (thought it was Westerland when it began to bloom this week in the temp pot crowd, Patty), but in the heat mellows to a blend of salmon, rose & amber here. Continuous generous bloom for me & a nice moderate fragrance. One of Weeks Roses "Easy-to-Love" series which includes Livin' Easy. http://www.weeksroses.com/_RoseGroups/EasyToLove.html Available at most garden centers. Jim has a photo on HMF, where you can find more info by clicking any of the tabs. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.58853.0&tab=36

Then there's the older Tropicana which often shows up at the box stores.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6073&tab=1 

treeguy123 thanked vasue VA
  • seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Can you get a photo of the rose and a bush shot? That would help narrow it down I think. There are a lot of really hot orange roses it could be but with out knowing if it's an HT or floribunda or whatever it would be hard to say which one it is.

treeguy123 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • romogen
    7 years ago

Disease resistant, Gingersnap is not. Livin' Easy is bright orange for several hours but then fades to peach for its duration:

Vavoom is tangerine and a difficult color to blend with other roses. In that shade, Adobe Sunset is better.

Both About Face and Anna's Promise are pretty disease resistant (AP bellow):

If you are open to Hybrid Teas with more blended colors consider Octoberfest or Veldfire. The following pictures from my garden show you bud and faded flowers to let you see how they age:

Octoberfest

Veldfire is an older variety:

My new favorite I got from Home Depot and Lowe's is Miss Amber (Coiner), a relatively new introduction that takes two or three years to settle in, but wow:

If you want something darker, consider Dolly Parton:

A disease resistant, vigorous grower with great burnt orange flowers is Remember Me -- Livin' Easy's father. The bush and leaves are really beautiful. I don't have a bud picture handy -- it's a showstopper at the bud stage--but here it is towards the blowsy end:

treeguy123 thanked romogen
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish I could get a picture, but I only remember one location, and it's far from the main road right by a house.

Thanks romogen for the info that 'Livin' Easy' fades to peach, I don't want any hints of pink color.

I would like one that retains a vivid bright or "glowing" hot orange color which is even has the look of "glowing" in the shade (small amounts of red or yellow mixed is fine), disease/pest resistant, everbloomer or very long blooming, and preferably glossy leaves if possible .

'About Face' in google pictures looks like it has too much yellow in what I've been looking for, And 'Anna's Promise' would have too much pink hue.

It looks like 'Octoberfest' and 'Veldfire' might fade into more of a pinkish color.

'Vavoom' or 'Tropicana' both look very nice to me, I wonder if it's one of these I've seen, or even 'Miss Amber'.

This pixelated zoomed in picture of 'Livin' Easy' is right around color I love, but I would not want one that fades to pink hues.

I love the glossy foliage of 'Remember Me', but it probably has more yellows/darker reds and less orange compared to what I'm searching for.

• treeguy123 thanked romogen
    7 years ago

Oh yes, I agree with romogen. If you like brilliant, deep orange-red, Trumpeter is very beautiful. It will stand out in your garden and won't fade. There is a comment on HMF that it is black spot resistant. I've seen it at rose shows and it is eye-catching.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Trumpeter is nice, but that would be too much of a dark orange/scarlet/rose red for what I'm searching.

I think 'Tropicana' and 'Miss Amber' are the closest match followed by 'Vavoom'.

'Livin' Easy' would be a perfect match only if it did not fade to mostly a pinkish hue.

If the rose fades to a little pink on the edges, then that would be fine with me as long as it is almost fully orange with some small hints of yellow/red.

• Phuong Bui APAC-Vietnam-Always hot, rain alot
    7 years ago

I might be dense but I don't really understand this statement "Trumpeter is nice, but that would be too much of a dark orange/scarlet/rose red for what I'm searching"

because the same rose produces different colors in different locations or under different cares. When selecting rose, aren't we just expecting the form and the color in a certain threshold, and go from there? If you're looking exactly this red or that red, then picture is not reliable, IMHO.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Phuong, If you compare Livin' Easy Photos with Trumpeter Photos you can see there is quite a difference, with Trumpeter being closer to the red spectrum. I was looking more for bloom colors closer to the 'Livin' Easy' rose.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I got to take a picture of the one I've seen before, but it was far away from the road, so this zoomed in blurry picture is the best I have right now.

Any guesses of which rose this could be below based on the color and likely bought from a big box store?

Thanks.

• Ugo C
    7 years ago

Hi the new siracha Floribunda rose I bought have been blooming for about 2 weeks now and so far I love them, big bright orange that seem to glow and the color does not fade much as they age.

they have glossy leaves too.

treeguy123 thanked Ugo C
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow, what a nice glowing type color, that's a new cultivar I'd like. I'm glad to hear it keeps the color well.

I thinking the ones I've seen a hand full of times are most likely 'Livin' Easy' or 'Tropicana' . 'Livin' Easy' does have 'Tropicana' in its lineage.

7 years ago

It's Sriracha. There are no photos of it on Help Me Find. Ugo C, your photos would be a nice addition.

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

One that's extremely bright is Tequila Sunrise. I would have grown this rose if it was more fragrant.

treeguy123 thanked fragrancenutter
  • Holly Webster(7bNC)
    7 years ago

I'm a big fan of Veldfire. Mine is OR. I don't spray & it gets just a touch of blackspot here, even though blackspot runs rampant here in NC. Long lasting, lovely at every stage & turning into a nice column shaped bush. My phone doesn't capture the colors well. The rose is a glowing orange, shaded with egg yolk yellow. At end of bloom it freckles red on a soft coral petal.

treeguy123 thanked Holly Webster(7bNC)
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

I love my Livin Easy but I will say that on hot days it does fade quickly. Just don't want you to be disappointed.

treeguy123 thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Veldfire does look really nice. The lighter orange colors such as Vavoom and Veldfire are probably my second favorite. The more I think of it, I guess the ones I do like best probably do have a little hot pink around the edges. From a distance that hot pink around the edge seems to set of a bright glow when mixed with vermilion/orange colors, and sometimes a little yellow in the center area.

Thanks for the info on Livin Easy, that will probably make me hold of on getting it for now. Two people saying it fades to pink quickly makes it in more unlikely to be the rose I've seen. The one I've seen seems to keep a uniform bloom color on the bush.

• erasmus_gw
    7 years ago

Kanegem, Gingersnap, Zach or Zack, and Orangeaid have been pretty here.

treeguy123 thanked erasmus_gw
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I really like the look of 'Kanegem' and 'Zach' for the bright orange-red and disease resistance. Seeing there are so many bright orange-red roses, it will be hard to choose.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

We have Easy Does it right now but it starts out orange then fades to pink fairly quick.

Living Easy is one of those roses that does very well in some locations but not in others. I removed ours because of blackspot and anthracnose issues. The orange color on the blooms faded fairly quick in real hot weather if I remember correctly... I remember Living Easy glowed out there in the yard esp during cooler periods...

Living Easy in our cooler climate:

treeguy123 thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • treeguy123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, That picture is the perfect rose color to me personally, I love it. Only if it could stay at that color.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

Here is our Easy Does it rose bush but as you can see it fades also...lol

treeguy123 thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • vasue VA
    7 years ago

Two saturated coral reds are Fragrant Cloud http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1785&tab=1 and its parent Montezuma. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4366&tab=1 

Some of the photos at HMF show these with a pink cast, but for me they are both strong vibrant pure coral reds that hold their color till petal fall. Both bloom generously here on well branched bushy plants & are healthy no spray in this hot & humid garden. A climber with this same color is America, a child of Fragrant Cloud & grandchild of Montezuma. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.188

Grow all 3 & wouldn't be without them. The color really stands out & the fragrance of Fragrant Cloud & America is outstanding. Visitors often ask about the "orange" roses & actually mean these.

treeguy123 thanked vasue VA