Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mponce17

Granite or Quartz? Need to find counter to match my backsplash.

mponce17
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We love the backsplash but can't find a granite slab to match. Any suggestions? Or should we use Quartz? The granite in the picture is Bianco Romano, but I don't think it works.

Comments (67)

• User
    11 years ago
    What is the stone of the backsplash? I wouldn't put real marble next to a marble look quartz, but if its a different stone (I have a limestone in my kitchen that looks like that) a marble look quartz could work. Cambria torquay in the attached photo is supposed to be one of the more natural looking. I would encourage you to see a large scale slab in person. Otherwise I like the idea of a solid quartz with those tiles.

http://houzz.com/photos/697103
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all you great ideas. If you find anything else to help me find the perfect match please post. I will add more pictures as we continue the project.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    sam0705 -- lovely! I will look for this. I really do not know what type stone it is, but it looks like limestone. Definitely not marble.
  • cprav7
    11 years ago
    I like the granite look!
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    11 years ago
    Let's start off with saying I may be a bit biased about the countertop material, but have you considered concrete? A quality concrete artisan could custom design a countertop to match your backsplash in an almost endless array of colors, styles, textures, and designs. If you have an interest or any questions regarding concrete, I'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    TMCD -- Hmm...never thought of that. That would look very nice, but custom sounds expensive.
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    You need to go with a solid, OR, very slight repeated pattern found in quartz. Granite will distract from the focal backsplash. I would go with a darker color to not wash out the lighter cabinets. There needs to be definition.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    How will darker look on the dark "Kaffe Color" island cabinets? Any color suggestions on the solids or quartz?
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    on your island, do not be afraid to change the counter top. I have seen where reversing the colors looks incredible. Example, use a darker Kaffe type color as the counter top of choice on the lighter cabinets, and use a lighter colored top on the island that plays off the lighter cabinets. You can use granite like you have in your original pictures on your island and I bet it will look amazing.
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    11 years ago
    Concrete is fairly relative in cost and care as granite and other natural stones, and can actually be more cost effecctive depending on design such as circular pieces, edge detailing, etc. Attached is a link to a concrete countertop FAQ's page I created to help homeowners and builders alike decide if concrete is a material they may be interested in using for their projects. Again if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/concrete-countertops-faqs-by-twisted-minds-custom-designs-dsvw-vd~346684
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    possibility for the darker quartz color on the counter, and like I said, I;d go with the granite you have already show in your original pics for the island.
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    Diamond Brown is the name of this color
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    Saddle Brown - Zodiac Brand by DuPont
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    drsmitty74 -- mixing colors I have seen, but will it look good to mix materials, like quarts and granite? I like these warm colors. I will look for samples of these and test them. Thank you!
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think the Diamond Brown may match best.
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Personally, I think it looks great. Talk to your local Granite/Quartz supplier (not Lowes or other similar store) and ask if anyone has done it or if they have pictures. Sometimes they have great photos of previous projects.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Beautiful backsplash. I love it. I have light cabinets and a dark granite top and it is beautiful so I would go with a darker granite top to go with that backsplash. Original one was too busy. The two samples above look too dark against the backsplash.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I'd go very plain with the beautiful backsplash. Silestone quartz. Here is amazon gray Silestone quartz counter.
    Barn Restoration in Harding Township, New Jersey · More Info
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @bevballew -- Thank you. We love it! Can you post pictures of your dark granite? I agree the Bianco Romano appears too busy, competing with the backsplash.
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    Here is exactly what i was referring to. Only your cabinets are the light color and your island is the darker color
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Friends with black granite suggest against it. They say it is too difficult to keep looking clean.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I have a black and brown combo. It is the blotchy look, if you know what I mean. I will take a pic tomorrow. I love it. It does not show dust or any debris that may be there accidentally when wiping up. Why do they not like black? I bought a house and was thinking of putting black in a kitchen. I have black with the sparkles in my powder room and it is fine except it does show dust after so many days if not wiped down.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    They find that it shows dust and finger prints more than lighter stones. A combo "blotchy" look may be a solution to that though. I will look for your pictures. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    Hi mponce17,

I just want to clarify what someone said earlier about Calacatta. That material is a high end marble NOT a quartzite. Your backsplash may be a travertine.

If you are still interested in using natural stone, I think that a granite called Copenhagen would look wonderful in your kitchen! It has some movement to it, but the colors will complement your cabinetry and backsplash (which are both beautiful!). Here is a link to view what it looks like: http://pmirock.com/vLots.aspx?ID=1120&z=Granite

Another option is Taj Mahal Quartzite (natural stone). Here is a link to view some slabs. I prefer the lighter slab on the right: http://pmirock.com/vLots.aspx?ID=1048&z=Quartz
  • Lisa
    11 years ago
    Stoneshop...I am now VERY concerned as I just put a few slabs of calacatta on hold under the impression that it is a quartzite. The warehouse I am purchasing it from gave me this information. When you say it is a high end marble, does that mean it has better durability than regular marble? Thank you and sorry to take this up on your thread mponce17!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Here is my black and brown blotchy granite. Let me know if you need a better pic.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Here is one more from a distance.
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    Bevballew- Looks like Baltic Brown.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My husband and I like the Taj Mahal Quartzite very much. The Copenhagen, although beautiful, appears too busy for us. I will contact PMI to see if they have dealers in my area. I will post what I find, please check back.

Thank you for the clarification. I should have known my backsplash is Travertine. Marble is not the look I am after and I agree with most that I need to complement my cabinetry as well as my backsplash.

Your suggestions have been very helpful. Thank you!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think by higher end he means calacatta is an expensive (beautiful) marble.
  • mponce17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @lcskaisgir -- your questions and comments are welcome. It is all related to why we are all having this discussion. I too think "Stoneshop" meant more $$$ -- I will add that I have heard that marble is not as forgiving in the kitchen. I mostly see it in bathrooms...thoughts on that?
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    lcskaisgir,
    The issue with stone is that many places are going to categorize different colors as different materials. Our shop and our suppliers categorize Calacatta as marble. Your warehouse may classify it as something else. Do you have any photos of the slabs?

sam0705 is correct. By high end, I mean that this marble is usually on the more expensive side. If you are very concerned, I would ask the warehouse for a small sample of the stone. Then you can do some testing on it yourself to see how it holds up. Put some lemon juice, red wine, and spaghetti sauce on the sample and let it sit there for a little while to see how the materials responds.

mponce17,
    I thought that you would feel that way about the Copenhagen, but I just had to throw it out there because I love it so much :) Glad that you like the Taj Mahal! I'm not sure if PMI has any dealers other than the warehouse over here, but they may! If not, I would call some of your local slab warehouses to see if they have it in stock.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Loved stone shops suggestion. Thanks re telling me my granite is Baltic brown. Have had it ten years and did not remember name. I love granite in a kitchen. When pulling something out of oven don't need a hotpad...but I do take the hot item off the granite asap. Marble difficult on counters. I have marble on my kitchen floor and anything acidic wrecks the finish. I would never put marble unless there are finishes that preserves its beauty with not much worry as to what goes on it.
  • Lisa
    11 years ago
    Considering all the options that have been presented...I vote for Taj Majal!!!
  • drsmitty74
    11 years ago
    Here is a pic you may want to see. It's the Taj on light cabinets, and also on dark.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 years ago
    I'd recommend going with a slab that's darker and can bring out the backsplash and cabinetry as well. Something similar to our Terra Di Siena granite countertops could work. You can see them and other samples here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

Our counters come with a lifetime warranty, and they're scratch, heat and stain resistant. Good luck with your choice!
  • PRO
    VIVIR Design!
    11 years ago
    Mponce - Love the tile. I am partial to the quartz materials. We also spec other solid stone materials but quartz is the best in a kitchen that will actually get used. Plus the manufacturers have warranties that range from 10 yrs to a lifetime on the materials where the other materials usually dont. Just something to think about. This is an investment and you want to make sure its protected.
  • PRO
    VIVIR Design!
    11 years ago
    oh and Sam0705...you are right the Cambria Torquay is absolutely GORGEOUS! I have it in my showroom right as you walk in and it is a "Jaw Dropper"
  • iamchickaddd
    11 years ago
    I found this recently...it's quartz...but I don't know the name of it.
  • iamchickaddd
    11 years ago
    Also, what is the name/manufacturer of your backsplash?
  • Pam
    11 years ago
    I like what you have picked out and think it will look lovely, but wanted to show you the Zodiac quartz I have in my kitchen. It looks like it would go well with your backsplash and the color is a happy medium...the color is Toasted Almond.
  • jean25
    11 years ago
    Quartz Zodiaq Capppochino (sp) would look great with this.
    DuPont makes it.
  • jean25
    11 years ago
    Justone- your kitchen is gorgeous. Happy with Zodiaq? It's prettier than granite...I am a realtor and people are not as excited about granite as in the past.
  • Pam
    11 years ago
    Thank you jean25! I have never had granite but I've no complaints with quartz...it's been 4 years and no scratches yet, have in the bathrooms too.
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    8 years ago

Taj Mahal Quartzite would be gorgeous as would San Luiz Granite.

• dottiecarrano
    8 years ago

If you're settled on that absorbent stone/tile behind the stove I hope your back is in good shape. Scrubbing the backsplash and grout behind the stove of splattered grease and bubbled tomato sauce stains is a real pain and you have to do it continually. Under-cab lighting will show every miss and smear.

Think practical and long-term and consider the next buyer when you're ready to move.

• mkuyekawa
    8 years ago

What did you decide on. I, too, am building around a backsplash I love.

• PRO
    Kristin Smith Interiors
    7 years ago

Also, the stone for the backsplash is porous, and may hold onto any oil that is splattered on it.

• bstecks
    7 years ago
    Try quartz Verona Calcutta.
    It's hard to tell the exact of your backsplash but I think we looked at something similar.
  • acm
    7 years ago

Guys, this post is four years old! Probably they figured something out by now.