Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmpbp

Same floor tile or different floor tile in all bathrooms?

jmpbp
7 years ago
Hi, we are remodeling all three of our bathrooms. Do you think it's better to keep the same floor tile in all three bathrooms or is it better to do different floor tile in each?

I've heard arguments for both...
-same tile:
Pro-shows consistency and continuity
Con-too much of the same tile

-different floor tile:
Pro-makes each room unique
Con-too busy to have a different look in each room

We are planning on having the same color vanity and similar counter tops in all bathrooms. We will be using slightly different light fixtures, handles, towel bars, accessories in each room. The shower tiles will likely be slightly different also.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Bev
    7 years ago

It depends on if you want to look at the same tiles when you go to the different bathrooms. If it were up to me, I would want different tiles in each bathroom and decorate each bathroom differently because there are so many beautiful tiles and bathroom decor out there! Doing them different not only adds variety but you could also use different color schemes as well--How fun!

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

While it is certainly your preference, in the hundreds of projects we've done, I don't recall using the same tile in all bathrooms. Commercial projects often would choose that option, but not residential. They can all be different while remaining consistent with your style and the architecture of the home. At the very least, you could use different variations, sizes, and patterns. Good luck with your project.

• Gina Gilgo
    7 years ago
    I am using the same tile in two of my bathrooms as well as the laundry room, but have different counter tops in each bath. The master bath is completely different.
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

This totally depends upon what you want. If one of the bathrooms is a powder room, I'd make it completely different than the other two - go wild. If all three are full baths, then, I'd put in different floor tile, just to have a different feel when I walked into each one.

• ecpt
    7 years ago
    I think using the same tile would be ok, but I'd rethink using the same vanity in all. As someone said earlier, it runs the risk of looking builder-grade.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

As Talianko Design points out, the single biggest factor will be if you can SEE all three bathroom floors from a single viewing point (this would be rare...but it has happened).

If these are all separate entities (can't see two or three of them from a single point in the home) then you can do what you want...different or the same...the choice is yours.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

My bathrooms have a vintage / cottage look. They have mosaic tile - except the mast which will if i every redo it. Two match just because I had left over tile. The other is the same but with a black square instead of white. All the vanities are different too, but again in harmony style wise.

I've been viewing Parade Homes and find many repeat the same everything in all the bathrooms, except more tile in the master. I'm finding it a little boring, especially when the same vanity and tiles are repeated in houses in the same neighborhood. I am pretty sure I do not want my neighbors to have the same bathroom (and sometime same kitchen) as I do.