Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

Sourcing materials - use all one store, or multiple stores?

helaurin93
7 years ago

So the contractor I selected wants me to use only a particular plumbing supply store (large chain, NOT a home depot/lowes) for all plumbing supply, fixtures, etc. It's supposed to be priced at his discounted contractor pricing, and some things (13, to be exact) are cheaper there. However, when I looked up each item on the proposal, I found that about 30 items are available from other stores at a cheaper price. When I added up the difference, I would save about $800 if I bought those other items from the cheaper stores (places like Houzz, wayfair, efaucets, plumbersstock, build.com, saveonfaucet, etc.)? The total plumbing supply and fixture order is currently roughly about $11,000, so saving $800 isn't necessarily something to ignore. (This is for two full bathrooms, and I'm going to have to go into debt to do this).

What would you do? The contractor made it clear that even if items are the same manufacturer, model #, packaging, etc. - he feels that the quality of the items through other stores isn't the same as from the professional plumbing supply store. And my other concern is that if I order anything incorrectly from his chosen store, I'm on the hook for a restocking fee (15% if it's a regularly-stocked item, 25% if it was special order). And that's a concern, as I found errors in the original proposal list from the plumbing supply store (instead of 8" widespread faucets for the vanity sink, for example, the rep put in the stock number for a roman tub faucet set)

Feeling a bit frustrated.

Comments (11)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If $800 makes or breaks a home build, then you are not in any financial shape to build. It will cost FAR more than that to fix the damage from one bad fixture flooding your home. Remember that the plumber provides NO WARRANTY on any product that you furnish. It's all on you to get it right, and to know the difference between cheepchinesecrap knockoffs that only look good and the real thing.

You engage a professional for his knowledge. Not just his skills at wielding a pipe wrench. He's offering you that knowledge in his link to a local showroom where he trusts the quality. If you choose to disregard that aspect of the selection process, then good luck with your build. You're going to need it if you are trying to second guess and micromanage the people that know more than you do.

• leelee
    7 years ago

I would save the money and wait until I could afford to pay for the job before I went into debt. Really.

There will always be something else that comes up that will be expensive. It's a universal rule. When you go into debt then your car will go out or your kids will need braces or there will be an expense you just couldn't foresee but it will happen.

When you borrow money you are paying interest. So don't forget to factor that in. If you're planning on using a credit card and paying a little per month then it will cost you hundreds if not thousands in interest. And if you fall behind on payments it will get worse fast.

Get serious about saving and you'll be so proud of yourself. If you can't seem to save, how do you expect to pay off the $11000 + interest?

• leelee
    7 years ago

I'm not sure your contractor doesn't get a kick-back from this store. P S ?

• User
    7 years ago

Most professionals let the difference between wholesale and retail pay for the time spend creating the list, and delivery and checking in of the products. That isn't a ''kickback''. It's part of the compensation package for services rendered. Or, they allow the homeowner to have their wholesale rate and just charge a straight % on top of product for the service. If the service is provided, you don't get out of paying for it one way or another.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Our plumber also guarentees the work when bought through him- if that's a consideration. He comes back out if we have ANY problems with fixtures/plumbing in the first 2 years. Luckily, his prices were all about the same as we could find elsewhere (and two significantly cheaper!).

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    7 years ago

1. @Architectural Novice I have discussed it with the
    contractor; he claims that even when it's the same manufacturer, model #, etc,
    that all manufacturers have a "pro quality" version that they only
    send to pro houses, and that the other stores (HD, Lowes, etc. all get a
    "second" version). I know that sometimes there are similar
    versions of the same product, where perhaps the pro supply houses might get
    all-metal, and a similar version with some parts made of plastic - but the
    model numbers are different in that case. So I don't get his concern in this
    issue.

2. @Sophie Wheeler It's not that
    $800 will break the bank per se, and trust me, if I didn't need to go into debt
    to do a full rebuild of two bathrooms, I wouldn't be doing it. The house
    is a slightly older house (about 45 years old) and the previous owners didn't
    do anything in the bathrooms. After we moved in, we found out that the
    master shower tile/wetbed is failing - water leaks from the master shower into
    the room below. We also have a significant mold issue going on in the master
    shower, which was not evident when we bought the house - the house had been
    empty for over a year. The master shower is tiny (30"x32") , closed
    off and there's no ventilation fan. We had several contractors look at it, and
    they all told us the same thing: the only way to correct the leak and mold
    issues are to completely gut the bathroom down to the studs, and then rebuild
    from scratch. As far as the other bathroom, it turned out that the wax ring for
    the toilet had failed, but we didn't know it until the little mosaic tiles
    around the toilet lifted up from the subfloor being damaged. And prior to this,
    there had been a leak in the combo shower/tub area, and the plumber that the
    home warranty people sent out accidentally chipped the porcelain tub near the
    overflow. They put something over it, but that came off and now the tub is
    rusting and chipping near the overflow, and leaking into the subfloor as well -
    and damaging the subfloor, and the ceiling to the room below. The contractors
    who looked at that bathroom also said it needs to be a full gut-and-rebuild,
    because the need to be sure that the joists weren't damaged. As far as
    trusting the contractor, I am trusting him insofar as he says the only brands
    he installs are Moen and Kohler; he won't install brands like Delta, American
    Standard, etc. From what I can see, Moen & Kohler tend to be much
    more expensive than other brands. Similarly, he won't install any
    cabinetry that is found in HD or Lowes (like American Woodmark, Kraftmaid,
    etc.), so I'm purchasing cabinetry from a cabinet store he uses. Also, the
    contractor hasn't really spent any time checking over the list. I described
    what I wanted in terms of plumbing to the supply house person, she sent me the
    list of items, and I've been checking it over. I found a couple of errors (for
    example, she was going to order a roman tub faucet set for the sink in the
    vanity), and she corrected that on the list. On the new list, I found another
    error, so when they open Monday, I'll let her know about that.

3. @leelee I really didn't want to go into debt, but if you
    read my comment above, I don't have a choice. It''s either
    gut-and-rebuild two full bathrooms, or allow the leaks and mold to continue to damage the
    house. As far as learning to save because life is always throwing curve
    balls, I am quite aware of that. I basically had to restart my life about
    6 years ago, when I got divorced and had to pay off my spouse in order to keep
    the house I had owned before we had even met, and was lucky he didn't file for
    spousal support against me, because I was flat broke. In those six years, I
    managed to save some, sold my old house, bought the house I'm in now, bought a
    new car (and paid it off), paid off about $21k of my $40k in student loans and
    refinanced the rest at a lower rate, pulled my credit score up to 809 (most
    recent score), was unexpectedly called to become a kinship
    second-time-around-parent (and just adopted this year), paid off about $45k in
    credit card debt (and for the past 1-2 years, I've been paying off any credit
    card charges every month to zero balance), and have saved up about just under
    $20,000 cash to put towards the bathroom renovation costs. This despite the
    fact that in the past five years, my position was eliminated twice at two
    different jobs (one was literally the week after I bought the new house, and
    then again last year, I was just a few months short of qualifying for a pension
    and my position was eliminated. It took me a couple of months to find a new job
    that works well with me essentially being a single parent). I generally try to
    save about $900 a month, but given that this bathroom renovation is likely to
    run about $45,000 all told, I'd need to wait and save at the same rate for
    another 28 months. I'm not willing to let the leaks continue to damage the
    house that long. So what I am doing is using a couple of credit cards to
    float the rest of the cost at 0% interest (one for 21 months, the other for 15
    months with 1.5% cashback on all purchases). I figure I'll end up
    charging about $25k total for the bathroom work. $19k will go on the 1.5%
    cashback card; if I throw $600/month at it, after 15 months, the balance should
    be down to $10k. My current employer also does an annual bonus, which I
    can safely count on about $3k after taxes, so when I apply that to the
    remaining balance, I'll still owe about $7k. I'll need to hope for a
    decent 3% balance transfer at the end of 15 months onto another card. The
    other $6k in costs will go on the 0% for 21 months card; if I throw $285/month
    at that each month, it will be paid off within that timeframe. It's not the
    ideal solution, but it's what I can manage. Of course, all bets are off
    if my job is downsized at the new employer; but I've been extremely lucky to
    find work relatively quickly. And no, I don't know if he's getting a
    kickback from the specific stores he is sending me to. He did agree to let me
    price around for countertops at somewhere else other than his cabinetry store,
    which was good - the cabinetry store was quoting me around $2,800 for a
    54" countertop and a 25" countertop. I found what I wanted elsewhere
    for $1,700, so that was a good $1,100 saved.

4. @Sophie Wheeler The contractor
    hasn't really spent anytime creating or checking the list. So far, it's been
    between me and the plumbing supply place he sent me to. I've been the one
    catching errors so far - like when the plumbing supply place listed a roman tub
    faucet for the master bathroom sink rather than the 8" widespread I
    wanted. (there's no tub in that room, and she had no other faucet listed for
    that room).

5. @Renee Texas The contractor
    says he'll address any issues post-construction. So far, he hasn't even
    produced an actual contract for me to look at though.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Just stay with the contractor. The buck stops with him. He orders; he installs. $800.00 is small change to protect you should something fail.

Sure, he probably has an account at the store. So what? He has the connection; you don't. Penny wise; pound foolish.

You order a faucet from an on line store. Contractor's plumber installs it...he won't guarantee it. Why would he?

Faucet is horrible; leaks, etc. On-line store...what kind of service will you get? You pay to remove the faucet; you pay the shipping return; you have no faucet; on-line store doesn't respond; on-line store finally sends you a replacement; you hire a plumber to reinstall. You pay for it all.

You should not go into debt to do any remodel and if $800.00 will put you in jeopardy, then I am concerned that you are in over your head, financially, before you even begin the project.

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    7 years ago

JudyG Designs Thanks for your feedback. It's not that $800 will put me in jeopardy, it's that the project keeps growing in cost. I had originally thought I would go with mid-priced cabinets, tiling, fixtures from HD or Lowes, using brands like American Woodmark, Daltile, American Standard, and Delta. Instead, all of the materials are significantly higher-priced; just the plumbing supplies are about $11,000. Cabinetry is about $3,700. Countertops, $1,700. Don't know what the tile will run yet. I'm told the electrical work will be about $8,000. I just never realized that brands like American Standard, Kraftmaid, Diamond, Delta, etc. are considered cr*p by contractors, and hadn't figured so much on product costs. As far as not going into debt to do any remodel, if you read my comments above, I don't feel I have a choice. The existing bathrooms are leaking through to the rooms below, the subfloor is being damaged, as well as the ceiling below too.

• Chikka BangBang
    7 years ago

Are you happy with the contractor and his or hers references ? Have you talked to his previous clients ? Maybe talk to the supply store and see if they have a clearence rack... try go down and talk with one main person and try to make them work with you..

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

There're plusses & minuses to both. The contractor probably likes single source. It simplifies logistics. I'm getting ready to reno a bathroom & I'm going w/ local source who's slightly more expensive than online, but he's worked w/ me to specify every widget & gizmo I'll need. There's value-added in that. If there's something your contractor's store doesn't carry, he can still use contractor's license to get discount somewhere else w/o setting up account. We have "A" Gen'l Engr'g license & owner uses it all the time when buying mat'l for his rental units. On other hand, during my K reno I scored really good deals on appliances that I bought directly. If you've vetted contractor & you're confident he's top-notch, the $800 may be money saved in long run by quality of his work resulting in getting it done right the first time.

helaurin93 thanked Bruce Crawford