Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Mackinac Island/Traverse City Favorites

rubyclaire
7 years ago

My DD and I are taking a little trip to my home state to show her where I grew up and enjoy a little change of scenery. We will be in the Detroit area a few days then head up to Mackinac Island and the Traverse City area. For those who have visited (or lived in) this northern part of the lower peninsula, what are on your "must see, must do" lists? We don't have a ton of time - just a week - so we have to hit the highlights. What do you recommend?

Comments (13)

• User
    7 years ago

We're north of Troy and I've always wanted to go up to see the Pictured Rocks Park

https://www.nps.gov/piro/faqs.htm

rubyclaire thanked User
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Climb Sleeping Bear Dunes...there is a classic picture of me sitting alone in the middle of the dune crying because my dad wouldn't carry me. Maybe 50 years later, I can make it without crying or needing to be carried!! Also, thanks for the suggestion about the view of the bay Delilah.

Lukki - thanks for the tip about Pictured Rocks Park. I'm not sure I've heard of it so I will do more research. Looks beautiful!

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I live in MI and have traveled north a lot. If you need a good restaurant in TC, try Stella's. It's a bit pricey but the food is amazing! It's in the basement of the old mental hospital, and the grounds are gorgeous. Agree on Pictured Rocks and Sleeping Bear. Other ideas: M-119 Tunnel of Trees, wineries, Headlands International Dark Sky Park (relatively new and so cool). This is a web site I use quite a bit when we consider a getaway weekend or longer. http://mynorth.com/northern-michigan-vacation/northern-michigan-attractions/

rubyclaire thanked Bluebell66
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bluebell - great suggestions! My DD will love Headlands - very cool! Thank you so much!

• User
    7 years ago

You're very welcome, if you end up going by there, please be sure to post about it. I've heard it's quite beautiful.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will do - thanks!

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

A drive up either side of my beautiful home state of Michigan is a treat for the senses. Mackinac Island is gorgeous, but the town can become extremely crowded in the Summer. We've stayed at the Grand Hotel, which is lovely and so memorable. Just a visit for a meal and some time out on their long front porch rocking and enjoying the view is worth the trip. But, I also recall during that same trip, walking down the sidewalks of the town and it being so crowded that I couldn't turn when I wanted to in to the shops. I was carried along with the crowds. It was that bad. It is a lovely place, though, and remember, there are no cars allowed on rhe island. Take the ferry over and rent bikes or take a horse-drawn carriage.

One of my favorite beach towns is Lexington on Lake Huron. Picturesque with many, many great little shops, a few good restaurants, a pretty marina, views and beaches. Ahhhh!

rubyclaire thanked LynnNM
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Lynn - I am hoping Mackinac Island won't be crazy crowded but that may be wishful thinking! We are staying at the Iroquois which is supposed to be a little bit away from the crowded main drag. We will pop into the Grand Hotel as it is legendary. We plan to rent bikes to see the island. Thanks for the tips - we are looking forward to it! I haven't been back to Michigan in 25 years or so but it is where I grew up and have fond memories of our trips to Torch Lake, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Mackinac. It is a beautiful state!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here's an important tip for bike riding on Mackinac...wear a cheap rain parka. Due to all the horses, when you ride, the back bike tires kick up poo onto your back and legs. Don't get me wrong they keep it pretty clean but it's still there.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

And for anyone not familiar with Mackinac Island, it's spelled with a "C" on the end but is pronounced Mack-in-Aw.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi all - just a quick trip report. We had such a good time in my beautiful home state of Michigan. In Detroit we went to a Tigers game and the Detroit Institute of Art among other things. Stayed near the DIA at the Inn on Ferry Street which was great for us.

Mackinac Island was perfection - loved our hotel (Iroquois) and would highly recommend. Attention to every detail, luxury linens, great location. We biked the 8.2 mile perimeter along the water and we were lucky to have ideal weather.

Went to Headlands Dark Sky Park in Mackinaw City and that was a crazy but fun experience! Met another mother/daughter duo and we had great fun. Drove to Traverse City via M-119 through the Tunnel of Trees. We did have dinner at Stella in TC and it was delicious! Went on to climb Sleeping Bear Dune and taking the park's scenic drive along Lake Michigan.

Beautiful state and great trip! Did not make it to UP or Pictured Rocks. Next trip :)

http://www.iroquoishotel.com/mackinac-island-photo-gallery

Arch Rock on MI

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

• lefleur2
    7 years ago

We have stayed at the Grand Hotel twice. Big $$$$ but, oh my, what an experience ... we were treated like royalty ... and we felt like royalty too !!