Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

What sort of window treatment for odd window arrangement

arkansas girl
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The window is like this one but this is not my house :)

In the front of my house, we have a large picture window but it's split into three part. Where I live in NE Ohio, it's on every other house just about. You have one large square window in the middle that's about 4" square so it is not all the way to the floor, it's above the floor about 3 feet. OK so on each side of this one large window you have a narrow window that's about 1 1/2 feet wide and the full 4 feet high. So it's split into three parts. Right now I have the curtains that came with the house, they are floor length sheers which look OK but here's the issue. Under this window I have my heat and a/c duct work so the curtains interfere with the air coming out so I'm constantly having to tie them up which looks stupid...HA! I would like some sort of a blind on there but we do open the two side windows which are the only windows that actually open up, the large middle one does not open, it's one large pane of glass. Any suggestions? I'm baffled. Would you have to put three different blinds, one for the center large window and two small blinds on each side? Seems that one large blind would be so heavy.

Comments (20)

• shadylady2u
    7 years ago

It's called a Picture window. Not odd. I have one. You can do any kind of shade or blind you like and there should be a separate one for each window.

I have wood blinds on mine and before that I had relaxed Roman's. I have a radiator under mine, so I have stationary panels on each side. You can hang panels or not. Depends on your likes.

arkansas girl thanked shadylady2u
  • arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK so splitting the blinds up is the way to go then. That's what I thought would work best as far as being practical, but I wasn't sure if it would look OK. I always call it a Picture window but I wasn't sure if that was correct so I didn't want to sound stupid...HEEHEE!

Another question: When attaching the blinds, do they attach to the wall above the wood trim frame or directly to the window frame wood trim?

• shadylady2u
    7 years ago

It's a preference thing for the most part. I like inside mount, so if there's enough room inside you can put them there. If they need (or if you like them) to go outside, they should go on the wall, not the outside wood trim, unless that would be the only option. Sometimes space, the kind of wall, etc. will determine placement.

Sometimes you need to put them outside because the window/s are really crooked or maybe you prefer a continuous look, or need to block more light, or there just isn't any room inside to mount.

Otherwise, I think inside looks more attractive.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

If you want to use a valance above and want the edges of the shades to butt so when they're down, they look almost solid, then hang them above the window frame. If you don't want a valance, then you can inside mount them, each shade will fill the space between the mullions. When they are down, you will still see the wood between the windows (the mullions). Just make sure, if you do the inside mount, that there is enough room so the windows going up won't interfere with the shade.

Inside mount, mullions showing:

Dolores Street Residence · More Info

Outside mount, shades butt, wood frame covered. Here they used individual valances, but you could also do a single valance over the whole window.

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

• arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh wow, that last set of blinds would look wonderful in my living room! I love how they are mounted! Those are called Roman shades, right?

• missouribound
    7 years ago

My mother has a picture window like that, except taller. She has vertical shades on it now but used to have pleated drapes. Both treated the three windows as one. I don't care for the verticals but she likes them because of her dogs.

arkansas girl thanked missouribound
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Yes, those are called roman shades. If you look up roman shades on line, you'll see they come in several variations...with and without a valance, hobbled, with a border or not, etc.

arkansas girl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Anne
    7 years ago

I haven't read the responses but I had a previous house with that set up. I used matchstick blinds.....One large on center window and one on each of the smaller windows. I also built a wood valance about 12" deep( Meaning from ceiling) and upholstered it in a fabric that worked in the room. I liked the look but matchsticks are more casual so just a thought. I always pulled them up during the day.

arkansas girl thanked Anne
  • arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is similar to what is currently on the window, the valance is attached to a wooden built valance box:

Similar to my valance

Mine is a country blue MINUS the tassels (LOL!). Then I have the pleated sheer ivory curtains for privacy.

It's all very 1990's. It's not really ugly, it just doesn't work for the windows being over the vents.

Edit to add: Here is a picture(s) I found from before we moved in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

It's very heavy and "dated" especially with the swags and jabots, not to mention it blocks a lot of light. I think you'll like a switch to the roman shades.

arkansas girl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I had a similar window in my last house. At first I was going to do a valance and drapes like your picture, but in my case also the heating register was right below the window and I didn't want to interfere with it, I couldn't afford to block any of the heat from radiating. So I got the valances, liked them so much that I just got skinny blinds (inside mount) to do in the three windows under the valances. I toyed with doing roman shades but decided it looked ok with the blinds and I liked the convenience and multiple options for opening and closing that they provided.

arkansas girl thanked l pinkmountain
  • Anne
    7 years ago

What is your budget? The roman shades are beautiful but can be pricey, especially for the large window. It is why I ended up with Pier One matchsticks (and I really like the casual look). You could also do a curtain or sheers that end at the window ledge but I am not a fan of them. IMO

• pkpk23
    7 years ago

You can get deflector that goes on top of the register to deflect the air out into the room instead of straight up- clear lexan with magnets on bottom to hold onto register. Really not that noticeable in use.

Roman shades would be lovely but are usually expensive. If you can sew, they aren't hard to make but are labor intensive.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

You can get wood slat blinds (Lowe's is inexpensive) but keep in mind if you need privacy at night. Many don't provide it unless they're lined with fabric.

• User
    7 years ago

I have three separate windows in the front of my house. Almost the same size as the ones on the side. It's an old house and so I prefer my current window treatments. Lace curtains on each of the windows and linen curtains at each end. The side windows are dressed accordingly.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Yes, if you need privacy, plain reed or bamboo blinds, when closed at night and have a light shining behind them, might as well not be there! Easy enough to make fabric liners IF you sew, which I do not. I really had to test out my blinds for privacy because I lived in close proximity to neighbors, and some of them were nosy! I never did anything in my living room I wouldn't want someone to see, lol!

• arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm going to have to mull this over. I'd like some sort of blind because it would be the most practical. I'm glad to learn that splitting it up into the three blinds is OK. I think that's what I was mostly confused about. I was looking as I was out walking the neighborhood and for the most part, it looked like most people have the same curtains that I have, there were a few verticals which I don't care for, very few wood blinds but there were some and even a couple with shutters. OH and I forgot to address the privacy issue, we don't have any bright lights in here that anyone could see in. Right now, it's just sheers which are private enough.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Re privacy, the best thing is to take a walk outside at night with the lights on inside to see what others can see. Sometimes it's surprising how much or how little they can. When looking to purchase the blinds, hold the sample up to the light and see how much you can see through it. Matchsticks from the outside in at night are like no blinds at all. I have wood blinds in my craft room that do not provide much privacy but are for light control. I use them in the sunlight more than at night.

• practigal
    7 years ago

During the day no one can see into my house because of the thermal window covering and screens so I leave the cellular shades open all day unless it is in a heat wave then I leave them down for the extra installation.

I don't know what kind of windows you have, but if you are thinking of changing them for some more energy-efficient windows then I recommend that you change the window first and then buy the window treatment. If you do it the other way around it is likely that the existing shades won't work with the new windows.

Another consideration is whether there will be a TV in the room. If there's going to be a TV in the room you may need to get some of those room darkening shades so that it blocks the glare on the TV set.