Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enajdiddy

Help brightening up living room

enajdiddy
7 years ago

Hi,

Accidentally posted in the wrong section the first time. I've never posted anything on here, but I need some ideas for brightening up our living room. We moved in not too long ago, and have slowly been adding furniture. Most of what is currently in here will need to stay, except for the two club chairs which I would like to replace. I actually like whimsical patterns, but have been afraid of making a mistake so everything is pretty plain. I am also installing sconces around the fireplace, but am not set on placement yet. Any ideas for making the room more cheerful? Thanks for your help!

Comments (21)

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Lamps, art, curtains!

enajdiddy thanked Vertise
  • akl_vdb
    7 years ago

Can you put the couch facing the fireplace/across the fireplace and have the 2 chairs that have the dark pillows on them flanking the fireplace?

Not sure if that makes sense, it just seems that by the walkway area..the people sitting in the chairs are staring at the back of the couch/people's heads.

Looks beautiful though!

enajdiddy thanked akl_vdb
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

Love your sofa. I'd remove the club chairs altogether. They're the wrong scale for your sofa. I'd replace them with the slipper chairs. I agree about moving the drapes lower.

enajdiddy thanked k9arlene
  • Sandplum1
    7 years ago

All good suggestions. What about something whimsical on your throw pillows. This may not be your cup of tea, but it would draw in the green of the room next to it.

enajdiddy thanked Sandplum1
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Lots of good suggestions. I especially agree about more lighting and moving the TV someplace else, if possible.

• dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

sandplum1 - Where can one find that pillow? Love it.

Pink

• dandyrandylou
    7 years ago

Use mirrors.

• Elizabeth Z
    7 years ago

Warm colors like red, coral, orange, golden yellow, etc can make a room look very cheerful. You have a great neutral backdrop, so choose whatever colors make you smile. Mercury glass accents or other shiny metal accents can also add cheer.

enajdiddy thanked Elizabeth Z
  • Sandplum1
    7 years ago

Pink: It's actually a throw pillow cover on eBay. There's actually a "matching" blue one as well. Here's the link: Throw Pillow Cover Link

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

A very nice room already. It seems as though everyone watching the TV would be craning their heads to the right. If you do keep the TV up there, which is not optimal because it can cause lasting neck problems, I would place the couch facing it, and then finding some smaller chairs to put where the couch was, perhaps in a striped pattern with cream and blue in it. Frankly, the blue pillows are rather dull. I've seen some wonderful pillows at etsy.com.

enajdiddy thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • enajdiddy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I am definitely going to look at updating my throw pillows and lighting. The TV is hard, I don't know where else I would put it since that is the only "family sized" room in the house, but I agree that that isn't ideal. I will keep brainstorming on that one.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

New throw pillows. I'd check out IKEA (love their velvet pillows with down inserts) and H&M. And, of course, HomeGoods if you have one around. They are so inexpensive that you can change them out with the seasons.

enajdiddy thanked nosoccermom
  • Lisa Samson
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think that you just need some strong pops of color everywhere. I would add some bold red patterned drapes, and some colored patterned pillows on the sofa and chairs. You already have some big pillows that you can probably just make some pillow covers, plus add a few colorful throws, and you are on the way to a very comfortable, cozy room. To me, your walls are screaming for some small, colorful, framed paintings. If you're willing to paint, maybe light yellow, or gray (leaving the moldings, wainscoting white), that would put it over the top.....beautiful! Good luck! This room can be a classic beauty....but it will take a while to evolve!

enajdiddy thanked Lisa Samson
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I see only 2 lamps for what is a good sized room. I think the fastest way to lighten up a room is to, well, add light!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

It's such a pretty room already, you just need to add the icing. I agree with those who suggest moving the couch to face the fireplace and put 2 chairs facing each other between the couch and fireplace with the coffee table in the center. I'd also chose the slipper chairs because of their scale, but they may not be the preferred TV watching chairs for your family.

How much room is there from the end of the couch where it is now and the wall facing/opposite the fireplace, behind the camera? If there is enough room, you could add a sofa table with a lamp or lamps on it behind the sofa (in the new suggested arrangement. That would bring some light to the middle of the room.

ETA: I reread that you are replacing the armchairs. That opens up the options so much. I'd find a style you like and then search for that style made in a fabric you love, or have them custom made with your fabric, if that's in the budget. I don't think you can go wrong if you pick something you love, but if you are unsure, post choices here for opinions.

These may not be your taste, but may help you start thinking about what you would like:

Maybe not blue, but an all over print:

enajdiddy thanked Olychick
  • enajdiddy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@olychick, I love that second chair! Thank you. Unfortunately, the room is too narrow to move the couch to face the tv and have a sofa table behind it. I originally had the sofa facing the fireplace, but it felt cramped with the chairs. But, I think the chairs are too big right now, so I may be able to reconfigure once I get them replaced with smaller ones. I have curtains made from Bowood fabric (below) in my dining room which is adjacent, and just sent to get some pillows made out of that as well to match. I think those might end up going in the green room, so I need to get some other fabric to coordinate with that. I also have light green "Melrose" wall paper in my entryway that leads into this room, so maybe green accents?

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Do you actually use the slipper chairs behind the sofa or are they there just because you have them. If you don't really use them, why don't you put them in place of the larger chairs and find another place for the club chairs.

• PRO
    International Treescapes, LLC
    7 years ago

adding some plant accents or a vertical wall garden can really liven up a space. If you don't want to mess with live plants, there are some high quality artificials out there that look very real.. the green would look nice in contrast to your neutral color scheme.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Add light. Is this a one story house? Could you add a skylight?

• elunday
    7 years ago

Second the suggestion to add plants. I'm trying to really study the photos of interiors that I like, and I noticed immediately that most have lots of plants. I think they really brighten a space and give it, well, life.

I have a history of having the blackest of black thumbs, but I've resolved to be a better plant parent and keep them alive--you should see the watering reminders I've put on my phone. You can find lots of info online on tough plants, and then you get to buy cool, beautiful flower pots that can also add pops of color.

Good luck! It's a beautiful room.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH