Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanhinze

Cost comparison: granite vs. quartz countertops

Susan
7 years ago

Remodeling our kitchen. Quoted Silestone White Diamond $4000 over Mayfair White granite for the same space. Does this sound like a reasonable price difference?

Comments (18)

• ngranum
    7 years ago

It is hard to know without knowing your total sq ft, but my experience is that quartz is significantly more expensive. I am getting ready to install 63 sq ft of a fairly high end granite and it is $2500 less than Cambria quartz.

Susan thanked ngranum
  • Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate this for a point of reference.

• jaybar
    7 years ago

I've just gone through this and learned that like granite there is a large fluctuation in price between different quartz brands. And if you have to go over one slab the costs will go up because the fabricator will have to purchase more than one slab. That may be the issue with your pricing. Or one of several other things

Susan thanked jaybar
  • Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, I never considered the slab cost factor.

• chellefnp
    7 years ago

Just as a comparison, in my area I could do a lower level granite for $55 sq/ft installed with all the cuts, etc or Cambria quartz at $70/sq ft and up.

Susan thanked chellefnp
  • beachem
    7 years ago

Quartz and man made stones are now more expensive because of demand. In fact, I was looking at reclaimed stones that were in pieces and oh my, it was close to $200/sf.

Susan thanked beachem
  • Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I agree. If one reads sites and posts from even 4 years ago, one finds that price and demand has somewhat flipped between granite and quartz.

• Lisa
    7 years ago

Our quotes were mostly for Ceasarstone, but they were between $5K and $6K for about 65sf. We originally wanted quartz because we wanted a simpler countertop than granite, but we fell in love with a slab of granite when we were at the showroom (Millenium Cream). It was not too busy but had more interest than the quartz. It was one of their cheapest granites, and was only around $4K.

I can't imagine I'd want to spend $4K more for a quartz unless there were no granites I liked. There are too many other places in the kitchen where that money can be used!

Susan thanked Lisa
  • Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I agree- it depends on the particular granite one is looking at. We are looking at a low-mid-grade granite, so I'd understand a price difference, but $4K for the same space seems like a big difference. We saw a granite slab called "Jurassic Park" that was so way cool- $10K/slab!

• Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your reply, chellefnp. Even with a $15-$20/sq. ft. price difference, I don't understand a $4000 difference. Our kitchen is quite small.

• Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I totally agree with you, Lisa! I'd like to do quartz, but a kitchen remodel is expensive as it is- we can totally use the money elsewhere!

• User
    7 years ago

Maybe get another quote (?) When I installed granite I got more than one bid and different fabricators had access to different stone yards, and the prices all varied.

One slab I liked was on sale at one stone yard and normal price at first place I visited.

Susan thanked User
  • Susan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes! I feel that our hands are tied because we are going through a design-build firm.

• jaybar
    7 years ago

As I mentioned earlier the fabricator may have to buy 2 slabs of Silestone. I suggest that you get several different quotes. CAmbria and Cesarstone will be more expensive, and Silestone is moderately priced. Another consideration is maybe the Quartz is harder to cut and the fabrication costs are higher.

Susan thanked jaybar
  • freeoscar
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What is it that makes Cambria and Caesarstone more expensive than other quartz? Is there a meaningful difference in quality?

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You'll hear people talk about breton technology when it comes to quartz.. Some use it, some don't. Cambria does.. With quartz getting so popular it doesn't surprise me that more companies are making it or putting their name on it. LG does it now... I found a remnant piece for my master bathroom. It's Hanstone brand- Paid $1050. Cambria wanted $1600 (for the same looking white quartz)... No thanks..

• omelet
    7 years ago

Per Cosentino North America, Silestone is manufactured in Spain with Breton technology.