Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letsgobird7b

Re: haworthia cuttings rooting question

letsgobird7b
7 years ago

I bought 10 haworthia cuttings from EBay over a month ago, I ported in a perlite/soil mix but very heavy on the perlite. I've sprayed the soil about once a week but it always feels dry to me

okay, my confession is that I lifted each up and looked at my progress, they ALL are growing large finger like roots but none have the little hairy roots yet

is this normal? Should I change to a more organic mix? Should I actually give a little water now?

i can actually see new growth in the center of a few of the plants, just a tiny singular leaf forming. I promised my sister I wouldn't pull them up anymore (okay I confess I've pulled them up more than once) but it's so exciting and a bit nerve wracking waiting for signs of life

Comments (9)

• lmontestella
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sorry, but until you commit to STOP lifting them out to check, giving you any advice is wasted time.

No disrespect, but it's neither cute nor funny & is actually damaging the very roots you're trying to grow.

Sorry but if you wish to garden you're going to have to learn some patience.

Lena

letsgobird7b thanked lmontestella
  • letsgobird7b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you both for your kind words

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

Haworthia have fat succulent roots. If those are growing, the plants are fine.

• robinswfl
    7 years ago

If you have roots -- then you are doing well. Haws can lose their roots without your even looking sideways at them -- and then grow them back again in a couple of months. People who are telling you NOT to pull them out of their pots are telling you correctly. This will damage the plant as it grows its first roots. Most of my haws are in some form of gritty mix and they do pretty well considering the ghastly heat we have in SW Florida in the summer. But I have a couple in soil/pumice and soil/perlite, and they're doing okay too. For me, gritty mix is better….turface & grit. The main thing is -- try to find the right conditions for YOUR plants to enjoy life and thrive. Bikerdoc is a veteran haw grower who really knows his stuff. I am a total amateur compared to him, but I do the best I can with my local conditions, limitations and plants. My haws grow in spurts -- sometimes a ton, then not at all for months, then more spurts. Let your plants show you what they can do. New leaves and especially new pups are thrilling occasions, so bask in their glory. And leave them in their pots for now…..haws REQUIRE patience.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Thank you, Robin. The compliment is humbling but I am certainly not a veteran grower. I have lost plenty of Haws. The important thought to take away from all of this is do what works for you. As I said earlier, I can't grow these in any mix containing organic material. My friend, who I have mentioned in other threads from Charlotte, grows all of his hundreds, maybe thousands, of Haws in organic based mix and they are pristine plants! For the life of me, I don't know how he does it.

Haworthia will grow in "spurts" because the hot summer weather will make them go semi-dormant, just like in their African habitat. Summers are hot and dry. They use those big fat roots to "pull" themselves deeper into the ground for protection. Spring and fall rains and lower temperatures cause a rebirth. Our group who bought plants early this year made a mistake because it was too early following South Africa's summer heat and drought conditions and the plants hadn't started to grow. We learned a lesson that we should have known: You buy South African Haworthia during our late fall.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

That whole southern hemisphere thing is easy to overlook.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Letsgobird - Post a photo! I'm curious to see what Haworthia you bought. =)

I do my best not to disturb my rooting Haworthia. If I accidentally knock them over then I will check for root progress, otherwise I am very careful not to disturb them when watering/shuffling pots around.

Howard - I really don't know how your friend does it either. Despite the overwhelming quantity and soil mix, they all look fantastic.

Still waiting on some of mine from South Africa to start growing again. I think most of yours are further along. Need to do some catching up!

• hookilau
    7 years ago

Fussing with succulents has proved to be a no-no for me.

They don't hurry up and do a damn thing, unless you find something else to do.

I put them in the right mix for my climate, admire daily, remove dried and shrivelled leaves (some folks don't even do that!) water as needed, provide light accordingly. Summer outside, winter as necc inside.

That's it. I don't even fertilize other than Osmocote beads sprinkled into mix when I do a yearly re-pot.

I'd love to see some pics too =D

PS: no peeking until re-potting!!!!