Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnoort85

Canning hot sauce

tnoort85
7 years ago

Looking for a suitable mango hot sauce to either pressure or water bath, and I'm having trouble finding a recipe to work with that is "canning safe". They all seem to be freeze or refrigerate only.

Does this seem to be something that could work?

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, minced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 habanero peppers, including seeds!
  • 2 cups mango fruit, chopped
  • ¾ cup vinegar
  • ¼ cup honey

Comments (11)

• annie1992
    7 years ago

That seems to have sufficient acidity for the vegetables, but canning with oil is generally a "no-no". Do you intend to puree that, or cook it down? Density is also something to be aware of.

No one can guarantee you that it's safe, of course, unless you use a recipe from a trusted source that has been tested for home canning.

Why do you need oil in hot sauce anyway? I've made several kinds and none of them have had oil in them.

Annie

• tnoort85
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I could easily do away with the oil, as I had planned. I've never used oil in hot sauce either, but maybe that's helps give the thicker texture. As for the method, I was thinking just puree. Although, cooking it down would be nice for the onion, I'm thinking i could get roughly the same results with puree.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

The problem one gets into with puree is the unknown length of processing time needed. Density becomes an unknown then dealing with puree vs. diced/minced.Most of the approved recipes call for 15-20 min BWB processing but they contain more acid too.

This will be a do-at-your-own-risk recipe.

Dave

• tnoort85
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So as far as a sauce of this type goes, you recommend I stick to the freezer/refrigerate? Don't try to can unless I'm open to getting sick?

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Yes, sorry. Mangoes are not acidic fruit to begin with so it is hard to 'get by' using them vs. most other fruits. So when using them, plus all the other low-acid foods, that is likely why, as you said, most all the instructions are for fridge/feezer only.

Dave

• tnoort85
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The low acid is why I was thinking pressure canning may be an option, and even more so with the added vinegar. I was really going out on a limb with this I guess.

Is there a limit on freezing time for something like this? I'm new to food preserving, we have always used or distributed for immediate use out of our garden, so this was never really something that was a problem until the garden expanded.

Thank you for all of the help.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Pressure canning might be an option but the problem is the amount of time needed has never been calculated. Closest I can think of would be peaches for 10 mins @ 5-10 lbs depending on altitude. But we don't know what the effect of PC would have on the mango quality in the end. Can't think of any mango PC recipes to even make at guess at it.

Freezer time - again a guess based on other fruits - would likely fall into the 6 - 9 month range. But that is based on the decline in color (darkens) and texture when thawed, not any safety issue. So safety wise it could easily be 1 year+.

Since you are new to food preserving please do keep in mind that the #1 rule in safe home food canning is that you cannot safely reserve your own recipes. Unlike with cooking there is too much science involved in canning to use recipes that are not first tested and lab approved for canning. So many thousands of approved recipes are available that it really isn't worth the risk of using unapproved ones.

Take the time to explore NCHFP (the canners primary source) for all the details.

NCHFP

Dave

• tnoort85
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Luckily, I found this to be able to ask questions and get reliable answers from real people. I think I will continue to search for this sauce in a canning recipe. I will keep note of all of this for future reference, and really get into studying the source you sent.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

tnoort85, I think it's a very good idea to keep looking for a canning recipe that's similar, especially since you are new to canning. As you get more comfortable you'll find more recipes to try. (grin) At least that's what happens to me, I start looking for a recipe and find a dozen more!

Annie

• tnoort85
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The sauce is about the only thing I haven't had any luck with. We are about to start the Apple butter in about an hour, just finished peach/blueberry jelly... Way better than store bought, we didn't know what we were missing, and my pickled hot peppers are already becoming my neighbors favorite. This canning thing is a ton of fun, and can't wait for the next. Now to start using the pressure canner.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

Yup, it's an addiction, and a delicious one!

The pressure canner will open up a whole new world, from soup to beans, meat, fish, all kinds of goodies. And then there will be more recipes, LOL.

Happy canning, I just took my yearly Fair entries in and this year we included Beer Jam made by my granddaughter, we'll see how that goes.

Annie