Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genevam86

Which one of out the bottom 3?

emmabug
7 years ago
Top piece is my existing and will remain for perimeter. Only replacing island. Left, middle, or right?

Comments (35)

• Robbyn
    7 years ago
    Right!
  • emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!
  • Jill McK
    7 years ago

Right or I wouldn't change at all. The left two seems "cheaper" than what you currently have.

• emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your input! We have to change we have a dilemma with the existing island top.
  • Elle
    7 years ago

I agree with Jill.

• Linda Hurley
    7 years ago
    I think the right will look nice, it has the same colors scheme, the middle will be too busy and I think the other is too plain and looks cheaper.
  • Kimberly McCoy
    7 years ago
    The white tile with the 2 strips of gray running across it.
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

I'm with Rose, but it looks like we are outnumbered.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

The middle one is not even in the running. Take it out and look at the other two.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Right. Is that a different sample than the one in your other posting? Looks to have less pronounced veining.

Graham

• emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, it is Brittanica. Not the same.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I lean to the right, however, pics often don't show colors accurately. My logic is a lighter look on island will brighten room. I would also have shape of new piece for island give you 16" overhang so you could slip a couple stools under. Might need a couple corbels to support extra countertop. One more thing-consider changing single light fixture/pendant out for a 3 lite cluster and one ceiling plate. (Assuming one wire location). I will search and post a option to show what I mean.
  • Susan Mooney
    7 years ago

I too prefer the one on the right.

• emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sorry only one light was installed over island there are two now.

Thanks everyone. Y'all made that easy!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Dainolite 3-Light Round Fixture · More Info
    I am suspecting that the single drop pendant is because there is just one outlet on ceiling. So, I recommend you change that out for more light and more "presence" over island, especially if you extend countertop out over stools 12-18". The extension of countertop will also move people a little further away from cooktop. We don't usually put cooktops in islands due to the potential danger, but now that you have it, we work with it! So, keep going LIGHT!

• emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, our dilemma was the lack of counter over hang. Going to extend it greatly. :)
  • Jill McK
    7 years ago

Beautiful choices in your kitchen!

• emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Glad you have another pendant. If you extend, make sure the countertop has adequate support. You might need fewer stools or stools with narrower profile. Try to place supports so knees don't interfere. Going to be great. Very nice kitchen. Glad you can make it even better!
  • emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!!! I was researching the different supports and saw the hidden supports. Are these any good?
  • Becky Harris
    7 years ago

right!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    About the so called hidden supports not sure what you have seen but if it is "cantilevered" approach it will depend on material of countertop. Since you won't have a long expanse a fairly narrow support, one near each end, could work. You will have to be careful, because you have to maintain access to the under cabinets, unless those are "dummy" doors? If you keep overhang to 12-13" you might not need the supports. Talk to your countertop supplier. They should know best methods. However, you will probably need a carpenter to work on these for you unless you are handy with this type thing.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I have looked harder at your island picture and I think you must use metal/steel flat supports for your overhang. Because it appears you have a double bank of 24" deep cabinets the countertop sits on top. These brackets have to attach to edge of cabinets and they usually are attached to a pony wall. (Half wall). So I suspect, you will need an additional support of wood for these brackets attached inside the top of cabinet. Not a huge deal, but those metal flat supports have to be installed flush to cabinets, so the countertop lays flat. All completely doable. Just need good carpenter and stone installer. Is the right side sample Quartz? That is dense product so it might not need supports. All questions you can ask and make sure suppliers know what you want, a clean invisible solution. You might have to push for what you want, but hey that's what we do! Good luck.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

left

• PRO
    Rethink Contracting
    7 years ago
    @emmabug ask your stone installer about an aluminum honeycomb support product. Comes in sheets much more rigid than typical plywood for the sub counter and can allow a little more overhang without visible supports. There are also stone products that are already attached to the aluminum honeycomb that are often used in commercial applications. Good luck the kitchen looks great!
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    7 years ago
    I love the one on the right with the large veins in it. They complement your countertop. Looks like you are using Cambria Quartz. Great choice! Their installers will know how best to support your overhang. They told me that up to 12". (Fairly standard for seating) doesn't need brackets. They do however mount it on a piece of wood, likely plywood, but it's smooth to the touch on the underside. Very professional installers!
  • Debp
    7 years ago
    I like the one on the right too. Do you have room to extend the countertop on the one end as well?
  • emmabug
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, that is why we are actually replacing it. We need some room:)
  • jck910
    7 years ago

left

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    7 years ago

Maybe seeing a design of ours will help you make a decision? Notice the island.

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• loudon1
    7 years ago
    Right.
  • dagmarmc
    7 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen..... And I'd go with the one on the right.
  • PRO
    Sweeney
    7 years ago
    I would go with the right and stain the island and dark cherry to offset the white cabinets.