Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimb1

Dining room table / hutch help

kimb1
11 years ago
We recently bought a new house and our dining room furniture doesn't fit in the new space. The trim is knotty pine with a stain color called elkhorn sort of a muted grey brown, the floors are dark brown, the paint is Benjamin Moore's nantucket fog. I'm leaning towards putting an ebony table regular height and longer there (76"x40" extends to 106"). It will obviously need a bigger rug under it. I'm looking at a hutch for our china (white) and also to move our decanters out of the living room. I really like this one at room and board
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=3406&catalog=room&category=rm_dining_spaces&subcategory=din_cabinet_stor

What are thoughts on color? I can't decide between the shell stain or the ebony stain. I also thought about maple because our island has the a maple butcher block top but don't see that looking quite as nice. The room dimensions are 10'x12' - 12' on the wall with the pantry. The overall room is `30x'30. The pot rack in the corner will go away once we have a hutch for storage. I know it still needs pictures etc. I'm thinking a triptych above the hutch with some bright oranges/pinks/greens in it.

Comments (90)

• Carolina
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll have to go with the first option, that hardware looks good too. And I'll see if we have something like gorilla glue here (why not, we Dutch need good glue every now and again too ;-)).
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think the first option would be easier, especially if you have a metal bit for the drill. Glad I could be of help! Now off to learn for a week.
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    Have fun ;-)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    After several months of back ordered product, followed by cancelled orders, then picking new chairs, then receiving damaged chairs, we finally have a usable dining space. We are still looking at chandeliers to replace what we have but like having a usable space and how it's all coming together. A special thanks to the Houzz community for all the advice along the way.
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A couple more views
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Great choice of chairs. Sorry to hear it didn't go smoothly. But the result definitely is great. New chandelier or pendant light will definitely have a big impact. This one just looks wrong :-) For a quick fix at low cost: Ikea
    BÖJA Pendant lamp · More Info

Knappa Pendant Lamp · More Info

IKEA 365+ BRASA Pendant lamp · More Info

Hektar Pendant Lamp · More Info
  • PRO
    Light In Art
    10 years ago
    We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we have beautiful fixtures that would look fantastic over your dining table and would light up the room. We have the Plice and/or the Galaxy. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks @carolins. We may end up going to something like that. I'm voting for holding off 6 months or so and getting something nice. My husband is voting for changing ASAP. I agree it just doesn't fit. We've never been a huge fan of it but didn't get any choice. I've seen a few that would look great! Did you notice the rug? We went with a jute rug in a neutral but cool tone. I love it, the dogs love it, and so far it doesn't show too much dog hair! Thanks for all the advice!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Yeah, I did notice the rug and wanted to mention it, but forgot while searching for the Ikea options. Great colour and size. Love how it all came together. I can understand you wanting to hold out for something really great, always a shame to spend money on something that you don't really want, but this current chandelier brings the whole dining and kitchen area down. Such a shame....

For example:
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I actually really like that one. And the price too! I'm leaning away from white will have to show my husband and see :) thanks!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    My pleasure (it's probably not the correct size in my mock-up, keep that in mind ;-))
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Room looks great :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    The capiz rectangular from west elm, which I own and love :), also comes in this color. Also west elm carries this mercury glass look. I also have the BOJA from ikea and it's a bit smaller than carolins pic. But it's still a good size. I really love your room
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I just scrolled up to see the 'before' again. Noticed that even though you have more and larger furniture in that area, it looks much bigger :-) How cool is that?
    Funny that mforr (who's my Houzz-design-sister) came up with the Capiz chandelier. Since I suggested it too, somewhere above, haha. There's a reason why we've adopted each other to be sisters ;-)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I saw your post above and thought I might expand on it, I thought you made a very good call. I always think you make good calls sis :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    It's in my room in the natural Capiz, but in kimb1's room I think the dark version might be very cool. But the mercury glass one is really cool too. Tough call :)
    The ikea ones are a great in between look if you want to wait on the more expensive ones. You should sign up for west elm email updates, those chandeliers go on sale every once in a while, plus they have a lot of cool stuff to look at in all kinds of things. Very cloudy right now, not best pic for the close up
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes everything fits the space much better than before! I knew it had potential and what we had just didn't work. I think some of the early commenters were worried about the space looking too small given that it already looked small with our furniture and rug. It is amazing that it looks bigger / roomier with more and bigger furniture! I will have to look at the west elm chandelier again. I was worried about giving the space a "direction" with a rectangular chandelier before but with the table and hutch it definitely has one now.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Could I have said cool any more than I did, lol :D
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    This is the "lights on" look
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like the mercury glass one but we have all brushed nickel metal so far for fixtures and hardware. Can I add the black metal? It seems like it would go with the dark furniture just don't want it to clash with other fixtures. The price isn't too bad.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think you can go black with the chandy finish. It's not as if it's brass or gold tones, black is a perfect neutral. Plus the chandelier is its own special feature in room. It can be a statement, so it doesn't have to follow "rules".
    I think it would look very dramatic in the room. What do you think carolins? :)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I might really like the grey capiz too. I like the lights on pic of it. Hmm can't get it to save but like the soft glow it has.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Here you go
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    It think it's cool! :-D

Lol, no, I do think that last one is beautiful. I'll have a look at the westelm site and see if I have a preference. I'll be back.
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe I should reconsider white.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm back. Don't like the grey one. I like it 'on', but not 'off'. Looks too somber for your space. Would be different if it was in front of a window, but your dining area is in a darker corner.
    There are so many beautiful lamps. Just get a feel for what you absolutely love and until then... get a simple (Ikea) one that you really like.
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2150010&categoryId=cat1701013

Here is one that I love. It feels classic and modern to me at the same time. Price - way out of our budget right now.
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or what about something like this?

[houzz=
    Contemporary Chandeliers · More Info
    ]

Will keep looking :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Do you love me ?
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do except that one is iron and the one I like is nickel :)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    what site is that? I can't tell
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Well, I can't win them all :D
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    nevermind I found it :)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins - I like that. I'd like to do something like that over our island or a metal pendant
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Yes, I love that orb one too, carolins. It's a lot of fun and the color is good even when the lights are off :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    That metal pendant is... cool! There's no other word for it :-)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the metal pendant comes in 7" and 10" diameters as well as an 18" diameter maybe that would work above the dining table, or there is this round one with silver, maybe? Might just have to get a cheap Ikea one and keep looking for the dining. I just found them but I think the pendants are perfect for the island.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Cool for the island, not for the dining table. Too cool for that ;-) There's an ideabook about what size lamp you should put above a dining table... I'll see if I can find it for you.

Here it is, about size and height (follow the link under the pic)
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/hang-the-perfect-light-over-your-holiday-table-stsetivw-vs~784385

And another one with some useful suggestions perhaps:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-get-your-pendant-light-right-stsetivw-vs~251166

(love the Dandelions in that one)
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok so probably metal pendants for island and probably a cheap ikea for dining for now and keep looking. Now that it's getting closer to done I'm wondering about eventually painting it a shade or two lighter. All the dark heavy furniture really changes it. When we moved in everything was white and the space needed something. That was the easiest area to paint. I still like the blue but wonder about lightening it up a bit.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    What color did you paint it?
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ben Moore Nantucket Fog - just realized there really isn't a shade lighter so will probably stick with it.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I do like it.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Don't know what the rest of wall area is like, wonder if there's room for a mirror or series of small mirrors to reelect more light around room. Maybe something like these. I know the round is probably too light, but I love the style. Maybe you have room in a foyer :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Or this little one in multiples. 10" squares
  • kimb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hmm. I will have to think about mirrors and where I could place some. We do have one in the entry way and that area is lighter and brighter. Also because the paint color is too. I really like the muted greys/blues and so have ended up with a lot of that in our main living space + dark furniture. It's gone from bright white and sterile feeling to soft grey/blue/muted which is calming and relaxing, but now needs a little brightening up I think. I will have to post more pictures sometime. We have large windows and wanted to keep the views and so we ended up with roller solar shades that are charcoal in color. They let us have views but we keep down most of the time to keep the house cool in the summer. It totally changes the interior lighting. The answer is probably some bright accessories.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    It sounds lovely, brighter accessories are a good bet :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    West elm has a load of stuff on clearance right now, up to 70% off :)
  • pattiegoode
    10 years ago
    There is a Ballard discount coupon in Southern Living magazine this month, too. ;)