Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Survey: Fukusho or Meiwa kumquat...which do you like better?

And why? Not that I'm going to get one or anything....just wondering...;-)

Comments (10)

• User
    7 years ago

Oh yeah? Then why are you asking???? :)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL...It's just an academic exercise Vladimir...;-)...

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve! I have read that Fukushu are bigger and juicier, but that the juice is a blend of sweet and tart. How can that be? The meiwa is supposed to have less juice, but sweeter. I'm just thinking of which my kids would be more likely to eat. They are quite healthy. I looked up their nutritional information. Yeah, but I'm sure neither can hold a candle to a snickers bar ;-)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I chose my fruit trees for fruit that is neither sweet of sour. My favorite Apple is the Arkansas Blacking. Not sweet, not tart, but packed with flavors that I have no words but that I like them. I had a mill sweet lemon. Same as above. I now have a New Zealand lemonade tree from pip that should fill the plate very nicely. I have 14 seed grown red haven peach trees. I like to pick the peaches when they have color but are hard. Nothing beets a crisp crunchy mildly sweet free stone peach. My hardy Chicago fig has been a real success beyond my wildest expectations. They taste very good with their mildly sweet flavor.

I don't eat snickers or any other candy or pop. the juice of the lemon will dissolve the enamel off your teeth faster than a snickers bar will.

Here on the garden web's snickers forum every one seems to be buying the trees that produce the sweetest mandarins/oranges or the most acid lemons/lines.

My portfolio is complete with 2 Fukushu, 1 Meiwa, 2 New Zealand lemonade, and 9 Hardy Chicago fruit trees. Tine to lean back and kick up my feet.

The fukushu fruits can be squeezed for baking Fukushu meringue pies and the remaining peal and flesh should prove to be mildly sweet.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve! I wish my Chicago hardy had taken. I have a brown turkey, black mission (NEVER had fruit from that - it must be on strike), LSU purple, Peter's honey fig, and some other unknown variety given to me by someone in my neighborhood. They are just out in my yard, no protection. For what it's worth, I don't eat candy either. I am still waiting to hear from someone who has an opinion on the meiwa....

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Laura, the Fukushu fruits are quite a bit larger than the Meiwa...almost twice as big. They are about the size of a mandarine orange. The skin is more yellow colored than orange/red. They are pretty seedy. They are not as tart as a nagami, closer to a Meiwa. The skin peels off easily. It is a pretty tree too. I like the taste of a mandarin better, but they are edible out of hand. At least mine are. The flowers and fruit start later than most of my other trees waiting for these hot sunny days of summer. It bears a lot of fruit and they ripen fast. I think my fruit is staring to be ripe by the end of October after only flowering and fruiting in late July early August. The tree is worth having just for its looks!

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Steve and Cory!!! That tree sounds perfect! I'm not sure they are easy to find though...

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

http://www.logees.com/changshou-kumquat-fortunella-obovata-fukushu-1517.html

To enable you to get one easily here is Logees link.

My tree stays much more compact and prettier than the one pictured though.

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks Cory!! As Vladimir would say, you're an enabler ;-)