Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Trying to choose greenhouse size for my citrus

I'm in the market for buying a greenhouse kit that I can build for my yuzu and satsuma mandarin to be in during the winter. The yuzu is getting quite tall and is close to the ceiling in my house and bringing them outside through my narrow door is quite a job. Both are about 9 years old. I found a pretty nice greenhouse that I'm interested in but has different sizes-10x12x10 tall or 10x8x7.5 ft tall. Should I get the one that is 10 ft tall? I'm not sure if my citrus will ever reach over 10 ft in height including the container? Or would the 7.5 ft tall greenhouse be enough? My yuzu is about 6.5 ft tall including the pot and my mandarin is a lot less due to dieback every year and skipping growth on certain years. There is quite a price difference(550$ difference) in them so I want to make sure to make the right decision.

Comments (14)

• Silica
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Purchase the ten foot tall greenhouse. Once your trees are growing the greenhouse they will need the height.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

I agree - go big or go home !! 😀 I always err on the side of generosity......figure how big the structure needs to be to fit your current needs, then add to it. Greenhouses, terraces, patios or decks, the width of walkways or planting beds - they and the landscape overall will benefit from a size larger than imagined.

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thought I’d end up needing to go with the big one. You guys are right, better to have it bigger than smaller for a peace of mind if I’m already paying a lot for it.

I am having the greenhouse on my patio which is concrete. Can I just build the greenhouse on that or is it better to build a wood base for the greenhouse? Wood base I would be using bunch of 2x4s and plywood. I guess with the wood base it would be raised so less problems with water. Is it worth it? I would have to spend an additional several hundreds for lumber.

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

The greenhouse should come with instructions for building it. You could contact the manufacturers if that info. is not on their website. You'll also need to research heat/insulation for the winter.

If the patio is solid why would you need plywood?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 months ago

If these trees are to remain in pots you can sink a well to place the pots in. 4 foot is easily diggable

Original Author
    2 months ago

My patio is probably not evenly level but if I use a wood base I can adjust the leveling accordingly. Like placing slates or shims under it. And then on the wood base with plywood you know its flat and level so I'll definitely know that the greenhouse can be placed on that evenly. It has no floor btw. Also I think concrete gets colder versus wood? And then as I mentioned if its raised a couple inches with the wood base that will help with water issues.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 months ago

Inside the greenhouse concrete is the same temperature of the air and the ground it sits on. concrete insulates from outside temperature better than dirt. You can build a 3 foot tall insulate wood foundation and buy the cheaper greenhouse. Will you be taking the greenhouse down come summer season.

• Silica
    2 months ago

Greenhouses by their VERY nature are extremely humid. I n a couple years the wood will begin to rot. If you use wood use red wood are impregnated green board . On my greenhouse I used a cement foundation.

Original Author
    2 months ago

No I’m going to keep it up all year round. This is where I want the greenhouse. From one pot to the other end and down across to where that weed is. Think this is a good enough base just as is? If I don’t have to use any wood I definitely won’t

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

Looks ideal without any wood. But, as I said, the greenhouse instructions will tell you how to erect it and whether it needs a base.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last month

I don't know ir something like this would work for you. It uses half the glass for the same row area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhJJuScry0&list=UUFK_KAaRv17u-9fUxJndszg&index=16

Original Author
    last month

Well I gave it some thought and I’ve decided I will not get the greenhouse kit atm, instead I’m going to settle with one of those pop up greenhouses of similar size that I can set up in fall and take down in Spring. It’s just not worth the cost at least right now, as I only wanted one just to overwinter my 2 citrus trees. I’ve propagated plants and grown veggies without much issue in the past without a greenhouse so I’m going to hold off for now.

• floraluk2
    last month

I may be wrong, but I doubt a pop up plastic greenhouse will protect citrus in 7a. It will not be frost proof. If you can insulate and heat it it might work.

Original Author
    last month

I do plan on buying a space heater and heat it. I might actually change spots to put it and place the greenhouse against my house. It’ll still be on the patio but maybe slightly less sun than the center of the patio. But having it right against the foundation will keep it better insulated.