Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldisnew2015

Basement of 1940 Colonial - pic of wooden support beam w/ jacks

oldisnew2015
7 years ago

This is the main wooden support beam running the length of the house along the basement ceiling. House is approx 4200 sq. ft in size with the original and addition portions. The house seems in remarkably good condition for its age and appears to be well cared for with updated HVAC, 400 electric, new windows, new plumbing, insulation and high end kitchen. We'd like to possibly finish the basement space (as you can see on the left they went around the tree beam support with HVAC ducts) and we're just generally concerned with this support. We have not had an inspection yet or had any contractor or engineer friends weigh in... Anyone seen this in an older home?

Comments (19)

• oldisnew2015
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Northeast Pennsylvania - no earthquakes thankfully ;) The HVAC duct work was done over 10 years ago going around the wooden supports, not sure when the jacks were added but we noticed the wrench for adjustments too.

Homeowner of 40+ yrs is a retired general contractor of a large regional firm so we'd like to think this fix/setup is acceptable but we're definitely going to check into it if we proceed with this property. Gotta love old homes!

• oldisnew2015
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, jn3344! I am hopeful its a structural non-issue (and just an eyesore) we kinda really like this house otherwise.

I'm thinking if it needs periodic adjustments it might not be finish-able space unless we can somehow access it.

• c t
    7 years ago

I have something similar in the basement of a 150-year-old home.

oldisnew2015 thanked c t
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

My old house was an 1898 home and we had to add one of those supports to replace the log support that was there originally

oldisnew2015 thanked cpartist
  • oldisnew2015
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And bottom line is no big deal structurally? (finger and toes crossed)

• midcenturymodernlove
    7 years ago

That is scary looking. I would want that professionally done, with proper footers. Agree with SaltiDawg completely on this one.

oldisnew2015 thanked midcenturymodernlove
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

And bottom line is no big deal structurally? (finger and toes crossed)

It was fine for ours, but we were the ones who had the new support put in. And it never moved and we didn't have a thingy to tighten it. Definitely get it checked by a structural person. This may be why its been sitting on the market so long.

oldisnew2015 thanked cpartist
  • ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

No one here knows that the jacks need tightened on a regualr basis. Where did y'all come up with this one? The tool in the picture is not what is used to tighten or loosen the jack posts anyhow. Ask your inspector about it and go from there.

oldisnew2015 thanked ncrealestateguy
  • oldisnew2015
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ncrealestateguy - I think you may be right about the tool not necessarily being needed for the jacks. The homeowner had a few other tools and workshop nearby that isn't in the photo. I also failed to mention the jacks were locked with pins. We will surely have a structural or civil engineer give us his .2 cents as well. Thanks for the input!

• newgardenelf newgardenelf
    7 years ago

You need to determine the structural integrity and if it's okay, replace with lally columns. Those jacks are meant for temporary use not as a long term solution. I once had an insurance inspector tell me those can let go and in fires can collapse causing irreversible damage. They come up in inspections all the time and you may not care but when it comes time for you to sell the buyer might so better to have current seller address the issue if possible.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

We have a similar metal support in our 1948 house. It was here when we bought the house 32 years ago. I assume at some previous time there was a problem as this is clearly something added later. No problems for us in 32 years!

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

Salti, there are two types of adjustable floor jack posts, one that is not load bearing and one that is. Both are adjustable and the last one is both IRC and IBC compliant.

The OP needs to determine which of these exists here.

• oldisnew2015
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Having it inspected next week!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

It's just like yours. And yes, the house was inspected when we bought it and no one said anything. I do live in KY where we're not as manicical about codes as CA and some other states. Floors don't creak, no cracks, it's doing its job.

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

You know what I mean Salti... one design is approved for permanent load bearing and one design is not.

• loto1953
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The column supports in the above picture are not currently approved for permanent structural use in the US.

Telescoping 2 piece posts with pins are shown in the above photo and that is not approved for permanent use. The supports must be a minimum of 3" in diameter and secured at the top and bottom and random sized chunks of wood should not be used as shims at the top.

Yes there are thousands of homes with the telescoping supports but that doesn't make it right.

I built our home 3 years ago and used the correct supports (1 piece w/adjustable end) and they cost about 3 times as much as the temporary posts and had to be special ordered to the correct length...cost and availability is probably why you see the incorrect supports used.

Column Supports

• nancylouise5me
    7 years ago

These supports are very common in our area (Historical homes, 100+ years old). Nothing anyone gets excited about. Our house has 3 in the cellar. Floors haven't sagged or developed squeaks more since we have been here. Have them inspected, let the pros tell you if they are ok or not. But like I said, common and acceptable way of support.

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

Common, yes. Acceptable? To some and not to others.

Persoanlly, if the home was in an earthquake zone, then no. Otherwise, I would be ok with it.

I see these quite often. Even if the OP does not care for them, and the seller refuses to replace them, it is a fairly easy fix, and falls under a DIY job for a lot of people.