Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

Don't you love dragonflies?

User
7 years ago

I have a green dragonfly that comes to hang out every time I'm in the courtyard. He just sort of flits around from leaf to leaf, following me. I have no idea why he lives in the courtyard, except maybe that he can find a lot to eat around the plants. I leave him a little bowl of water with one of those plastic scrubbers in it for him to land on, so he isn't thirsty. I put it under the taro plants where it will stay cooler and he can get some shade. It's nice to have a garden pal.

Comments (15)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was thinking of putting in a shallow water feature for them, but it would give the cuban tree frogs somewhere to breed, and we have enough of them.

• garyfla_gw
    7 years ago

Hi

I keep two garden pools so have lots of DF .Amazing how many varieties there are with many different sizes and colors .and they are the masters of flight for sure!! In spite of having dozens of them ay any given time still have mosquito and hover flies lol The large nymphs are capable of catching baby fish yet they seem to ignore tadpoles .

Remember seeing a fossil of one from the devonian era You could immediately identify what it was ,except that it had a 27 inch wingspan!! Too bad you can't see a living one!!?? gary

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    7 years ago

I've got a lot of dragonflies this year.many different colors.it has made my girls happy to chase them around the yard.

• gnappi
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a lot of them in my yard. At night I sometimes go out to squish weevils on the leaves of trees and see dragonflies spending the night in densely leaved branches.

They make for a good photo op too.

• nicole___
    7 years ago

Yes I like dragonflies!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice shot, gnappi!

Nicole, I love that pilllow!

• gnappi
    7 years ago

+1 On the pillow

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Yes! Love them!

• annafl
    7 years ago

I love dragonflies! When I was battling cancer thirteen years ago, a sweet lady acquaintance told me that in Japanese culture dragonflies are a symbol of long survival. She then gave me a dragonfly trinket she had wrapped in beautiful paper. For a few years almost every member of my family gave me anything with a dragonfly on it. Earrings, chimes, stuffed dragonflies, glasses, you get the picture! I still have every one, knock on wood, and I'm still here to tell this story! We have lots of dragonflies in our garden, and I think of that nice woman often.

• garyfla_gw
    7 years ago

Anna

I just crossed 6 years with my lung cancer and my oncologist wants to credit

the cyberknife for my survival , I refused the chemo because of the side effects in spite of her best advice . Actually it was the dragonflies all along!! lol

Another pet scan in August will reveal if I made a good decision?? Crossing fingers for a negative scan as chemo is the only option now .

I should have raised more dragonflies instead of giving up the cigarettes?? lol. Wife is undergoing radiation for a malignant tumor in her sinuses and so far seems to be working1Anyway good luck with yours Maybe those dragonflies really work?? gary

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anna, what a lovely story. Gary, I refused chemo for breast cancer once, and I'm still here as well. I do believe in the power of the universe, so maybe my little green fellow is my good luck charm after all.

• Carolina Girl (Zone 8b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love watching them in my yard. I had one light on a porch post and witnessed it having a mosquito snack. My grandmother called them mosquito hawks.

• whgille
    7 years ago

Beautiful pictures and pillow!

Ana, very inspiring story and your positive mind probably has to do a lot for your well being, congrats!

Gary, you are a Champion! hope to hear good reports from you.

D, I am glad that you are a winner in your fight against disease, keep up the good spirits!

I hope that we are all taking care of ourselves, our family, and the environment....

Silvia

• annafl
    7 years ago

Gary, I will say a prayer for you and your wife to have perfect scans and results. I remember when you were going through your treatment. Six great years so far, that's great! Dirtygardener, that's wonderful for you too. I don't want to give the impression I didn't go through chemo or other treatments. I underwent six very aggressive cycles of chemo and then took a chemo pill for five more years. I had young children at the time and I had to do everything I could. The dragonflies helped too, of course.

Carolina girl, the clarity and beauty of that first photo is amazing! Thank-you!

Silvia, thanks for your good thoughts. As far as I'm concerned, I'm cancer free. I appreciate your thoughts about taking care of ourselves, our family, and the environment. That's what I live by.

Here's a blue one from my garden.