Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Please Critique My Pantry Design

oldbat2be
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I gave up on my earlier design, which was essentially a gorgeous but not particularly functional cabinet, and have a new design for your review.

As background, this will be a small walk-in pantry in our pantry off the kitchen, for dry goods and other storage.

By moving an interior wall (non load bearing, DH will take care of wiring) a little, I can have a rough opening of 60" wide x 45" deep.

Pocket doors are optimal for several reasons - number one reason is that they will be open for most of the time, allowing ventilation and for hands free usage. I also think they will add a little glamour too.

Existing space: The existing shelves give me 30 square feet of shelf space.

Here's my inspiration for interior shelving. I love the corner shelf treatment.

Spacious Kitchen Pantry - Riverside, CT · More Info

In my design, there will be 5 banks of adjustable shelves.

I'm planning on using similar pocket doors with glass, as in this picture. I won't have the depth shown here, nor the gorgeous shelves shown outside and my interior will be much smaller. Still, I want to somehow highlight/spotlight the interior from the exterior.

San Francisco Mediterranean · More Info

My plan: This gives me 50+ square feet of shelving. Side shelves are 8" deep; back are 13" deep. The floor you see in the middle is 41" wide x 26" deep.

I'd like to make the front view (view in, from the outside) as attractive as possible. I think vertical tray storage at the bottom makes sense. What else? That section is 19" wide.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• just_janni
    7 years ago

Mostly - I think it's brilliant. Not having very deep shelves in the corner is a good call. Like the verticals. Like the larger "focus shelves" in the center since you are going to have lights / want to highlight something. The ONLY thing I would change is perhaps leave something open at the bottom for some storage of a larger item - whether it's bulk paper towels or something else that needs to be stored in a "bin".

• amykath
    7 years ago

It looks great! Love the doors. Can not wait to see it when it is finished!

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Those little pocket doors are adorable!

I am so glad you've given yourself plenty of time to think through this space - we've seen several iterations, but I really think you hit the nail on the head. It includes the whimsical aspects you've showed us in the past, but is far more practical than some of your other options.

I would love to help you put things away in there once it's finished! Make sure you have plenty of shelves for each area, so you can group similar-height items together and minimize wasted head space.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Ooooh how lovely!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You guys made my day, thanks!

jannicone - the shelves will all be adjustable. I don't think this will be large enough for bulk storage (like the full Costco pack of paper towels), but I take the point. Loved all your comments:)

aktillery - Major crush on the doors here too, and am eyeing other places in the house where I might actually copy the setup.

annkh - Thank you for hanging in there with me. I kept coming back to the - 'open door, roll-out' (drawers) concept, and knew that a non-functional design would always bug me.

smm5525 - Thanks!!

kiko - what a gorgeous pantry - lovely eye candy. I would be interested in your conclusions.

• kirkhall
    7 years ago

Forgive me if you said in some other/older post...but, your "existing" picture is a picture at an angle. Is this new pantry planned for the same spot? And, if so, will anyone ever see it from "straight on" like how you are planning for your vertical shelves, etc? Or, will people mostly always see it from an angle, as your picture shows?

oldbat2be thanked kirkhall
  • oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

kirkhall - You raise an excellent point. Yes, this won't exactly be a focus point, but we pass through the pantry constantly (walk-through to garage on one side, and regularly used room on another. No one else will probably notice, but I'm hoping to smile every time I pass by.

practigal - I really, really appreciated your detailed comments and questions. Charging station is currently at the desk in the kitchen. Any Apple related charger disappears within hours of being plugged in, but that's another post :(. DH would love to keep his cordless drill plugged in but I think he can continue to make the trek to the basement (IXNAY). I can't think of any other appliances I might need to have plugged in and at the ready. I can see storing my rice cooker, panini, etc. here. To be honest, I don't understand the mixers, etc., one sees without water ready to clean up the mess. (I'm sure I'm missing something).

I don't see this space as a prep area at all - fortunately, I have good counter space in the kitchen.

Not enough room for round lazy susans (boy do I love them though and I do have them in two cabinets). I also really like the notched corner shelves I'm showing.

Fun stepstool definitely planned! (Suggestions...? 8 foot ceiling)

No vacuum, just broom and dustbin. I'm mentally planning what I'd like to store in here, and figuring out what goes where; your comment is spot on.

I'm not sure I'm following the recommendation for etched or stained glass, with backlighting. Any inspiration pictures? I don't think I want a door which says 'pantry', for example.

• practigal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have never dealt with this company so I am not recommending them (although they may be great, you need to do your homework), but they do have a great website for examples. sanssoucie

I have never understood prepping in the pantry...but it would be a great place for the bread machine etc. a bit of a pullout countertop might just be a nice landing area for grocery bags while you are unloading.

I can't speak to your husband's drill but the cordless electric screwdriver has my vote.

oldbat2be thanked practigal
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Hi, I am so glad I found your original thread Oldbat2be! Have you made any progress on your pantry? I'm thinking of doing a very similar step in pantry!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    7 years ago

smm5525 - Glad I saw this! I just last week ordered the custom pocket doors, pocket door hardware, and painted wood pieces and shelves for the interior. Lead times point to around Christmas for the doors, so I'm hoping for a completion by the end of the year. How goes your project?

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    7 years ago

Very impressive. Well thought out!

oldbat2be thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Oldbat2be, how awesome! We decided to do shallow cabinets in an l shape so we can use the floor space to open up the room more.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert