Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melnnoa

Living room/dining room layout

melnnoa
7 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for fresh ideas in my living room furniture layout. I need to keep all the pieces, but I'm not sure I have them in the best places. Thanks! This picture is to scale.

Comments (18)

• User
    7 years ago

Looks good to me. You have nice conversation area with the two couches facing each other. The only other thing I would add is some end tables for the couch against the wall. When I lay out my furniture plans on paper, I get the overall feel I am looking for and once the furniture is actually placed in the room, I usually will tweak it maybe angling some pieces or moving them a bit closer for further.

• xarcady
    7 years ago

Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve? Like not enough seating when friends come over, or an awkward traffic pattern? Or is something not functioning, like not enough light when you try to read at night or no place to set down a drink or snack, or when you sit down you can't see the view out the window? Or do you just want a fresh look to the room? (I have a habit of rearranging furniture at least once a year in at least one room in the house. Or from room to room. Just to keep things interesting.)

• 2pups4me
    7 years ago

I'm noticing that there are no chairs around the dining room table and it appears to be quite large for the space. Any chance of going with somerhing smaller?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Where is the kitchen? Is it open to that area? Do you have actual pics of the space(s)?

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling the downstairs (and master) bath. We added a shower downstairs for my older girls to use instead of sharing with their younger brothers in the small full bath upstairs. In order to add the shower though, we had to push out the wall opposite the piano 3+ feet which has changed the dynamics of the room a little bit. It closes in the dining room area more and therefore I wanted to make the living room space more open feeling if possible. I've gotten rid of a dresser that held our tablecloths/dish towels that was behind the loveseat and we have a glider/ottoman that I'm going to try to move into another room as well. So I'm mostly just looking for a fresh perspective on the room to see if I have everything the best way possible. The sliding glass door makes it hard to give more room near the dining room table since I can't put a long couch on that wall. And I need as much seating in that area as possible because of our large family.

I hope to post pictures once our house is back together. Right now all the furniture in that room is smooshed together in order to paint the walls.

The size of the dining room table sort of includes the chairs, at least when they are pushed in and not in use. It is a boat shape table and can fit 12 if I stick two at each end. We are a family of 6 so we often need to use the table at full size.

The kitchen is through the door next to the dining room, is not open to this room. When you are sitting on the far back wall (where the long couch is) you can see the staircase going upstairs. Thanks for the ideas!

• xarcady
    7 years ago

I wonder if putting the loveseat where the single chair now is might work. That would give you more of a sense of a conversation area, with the back of the love seat to the dining table. Then put an end table between the sofa and loveseat for books, a lamp, drinks, etc.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So here are a couple of pictures of where we are at so far. I couldn't put the side bar near the sliding door because I couldn't light candles under the sconce there. I put it back between the long couch and breakfront (where it was originally). I think we are happy with this furniture set up, the glider will be moving to another room when all construction is done. We repainted this room and now I have to put pictures back on the walls. I had pictures of our kids over the couch before but I'm thinking of moving them to over the piano instead and putting art work over the couch. Any opinions on that? I know I need a new rug too but haven't figured out what kind yet.

Living room so far...

Living room before...

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

The living room layout looks like it's working well. It might be nice to have a small end table where the basket is by the slider. Then you could have a reading lamp and a spot to set a drink or book.

To me, it looks like you need to choose between the break front and the side bar. Right now, it feels like train cars lined up in a row (been there, done that). Those large furniture pieces need some visual space around them to let them breathe and not compete. Personally, I like the casual airiness of the side bar as I think it goes better with the feel of the rest of your living room decor. The dining room doesn't look like it needs a large break front, especially if you often have the table set up for big family meals. I'm guessing that it's usually set up big, considering all the cuties over the couch. ; )

The family photos would look nice by the piano. May I suggest that you get larger matching frames and mat the pictures? White mats would look great. When you hang the frames, go ahead and drop them down lower on the wall. The middle of the pictures ought to be at eye level, about, 5 feet off the floor. It's pretty common for folks to hang art work too high, but it looks and feels better lower. : ) A large piece of artwork with some colors from your throw pillows would look great over the couch.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the idea of new frames for the kid pictures, any suggestions what type of frame? I think since we are in earthquake country I don't want to put a large piece of art over the couch. The kids might end up back there and a music poster over the piano.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Simple frames in either black/dark to match the dining room furniture or white to go with the bar would work. Try "Museum Putty" (Amazon carries it) to secure your artwork. Sometimes it's also called earthquake putty.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Having pictures lined up over the couch in a row is not a good look. You can buy a large painting canvas without a frame which won't hurt anyone falling down. If you must have family pictures in the public spaces of your home I would cluster them together instead of having a row. You also never want to put art work so high that it looks disconnected from the furniture, as was already mentioned. As for the rug, I would get a much larger one which will go partially under the furniture and make that whole area look larger and more interesting. I agree that a small table with a lamp would be a good idea.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, we have an eating area and small family room off the kitchen.

Our table placement is sort of determined by the chandelier hanging there and its actually too close right now to the bookcase wall for our long table, but I don't have the money to move it.

A banquette is an interesting idea, we did consider a bench when we bought the table but worried about different sized people being too far/too close from the table.

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If I were to get something like this for over the couch, in three squares, what size squares would you recommend. The couch is 7' long and the ceilings are 8' high.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/221806908/canvas-abstract-print-set-of-3-multi?ref=shop_home_active_34

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

I like that top pic, L.L.!

I'm hoping some of the experts will chime in on the size of the paintings. In the mean time, have you considered maybe painting your own? One of my favorite bloggers did this, and it looks pretty achievable. htmlHandmade wall art This might free up funds for moving the chandelier or for a banquette bench. : ) I love seeing people support etsy artists, and I also love saving $$. It's your call. : )

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm planning on making my own wall art for my master bath remodel, I'm not sure I'm comfortable, or have the time, to do the living room. I'm still contemplating moving the kid pictures and where to put them and if I can afford new frames. Aaron Bros is having 1 cent sale so I have to figure this part out by tomorrow

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

That's great you're going to do your own art for the bath. How exciting! Maybe if you like how it turns out, you'll be emboldened to make more. Or maybe not... You'll know more when the time comes.

I'm not familiar with Aaron Bros, but it's possible to use mismatched frames from yard sales or thrift stores and then paint them so that they all one color so they look more or less the same. The matting can be trickier to diy, but Amazon, and some arts and crafts stores, have relatively inexpensive precut mats available.

Some might frown on this idea, so I'll quietly whisper it: I've seen very nice paintings at our local Family Dollar and Dollar General. I found a large painting that gets all kinds of compliments in my dining room that I picked up on clearance at Family Dollar for $15 this spring. It makes me smile whenever I see it. I really like it and the price worked well for us. Hobby Lobby has their wall art for half price this week. Do they run sales like that frequently? Idk

• melnnoa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I got some art up on the walls tonight, in the dining room and over the entry console. I know they aren't all museum quality pieces, but sometimes you have to balance your desire to have a well decorated home with real life.