Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Favorite Summertime Movies You Love?

LynnNM
7 years ago

As much as I love watching new releases (we're seeing the new Star Trek movie this weekend), there are some movies, really, DVDs, that I love to rewatch during the Summer months. Why? I guess because they put me in a happy, Summer mood. On too-hot-to-do-anything-else Summer afternoons, or weeknight evenings while DD is home from college (and DH is working on charts in his study), she and I enjoy rewatching some of our favorites together. I was wondering if you have any that you personally love and enjoy rewatching? I'm looking for inspiration as DD recuperates from her recent tonsillectomy (Ugh!!!).

Some of my personal favorites that come to mind:

• Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • The Help
  • Chariots of Fire
  • Life of Pi
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • Secondhand Lions
  • Casablanca
  • Field of Dreams
  • A Room With a View
  • Overboard
  • Signs
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild

As you can probably tell, we seem to have quite an extensive DVD collection (LOL).

Comments (27)

• deeinohio
    7 years ago

One of my favorites: What about Bob? Bill Murray and a gorgeous lakehouse! What could be better? I also rewatch Overboard whenever I run into it during a channel roam.

LynnNM thanked deeinohio
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Love Overboard, Secret Life of Bees, and What about Bob. Some others: Finding Nemo, Jaws (you KNOW what's going to happen), Vacation, Bull Durham, Paul, and RV (a kinda stupid Robin Williams movie about a road trip in an RV; I may have the name wrong).

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Summer School with Mark Harmon and Kirstie Alley...dumb movie, but fun. Any Gidget movie.

LynnNM thanked Fun2BHere
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

Jaws -- just screams summer for me!

LynnNM thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • User
    7 years ago

220, 221. Whatever it takes. Love it!

Summertime reminds me of big blockbuster movies. I'd like to get to the theater to see the new Ghost Busters.

LynnNM thanked User
  • patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Lynn, how long has it been since you've watched Tootsie or Birdcage? I could never watch either one enough! Someone mentioned RV(i think I must like RW, God rest his soul)since I seem to love all his movies. When oldest DD, GS, and myself saw it at the theater, DD and I laughed so hard GS was so embarassed he moved away from us! The last time we watched it on tv we laughed just as hard! Good thing GS wasn't there. Lol

LynnNM thanked patty_cakes42
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Enchanted April.

And Jaws-ha.

LynnNM thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Dee, I've somehow missed "What About Bob". Thanks. And, yes, isn't "Overboard" funny?

Outside: just recently watched the fantastic "Finding Nemo" again as a prelude to going to see "Finding Dori". Thanks for the "Paul" suggestion. We went ahead and watched it again last night. So funny!

Fun: I remember those Gidget movies! Are they even being shown anywhere these days?

AK: I love that movie and we have it! Thanks. I'm going to suggest that to DD today.

LLLC: the first time I saw "Jaws", I was living on the ocean in South Florida. It scared the heck out of me! Definitely a Summer movie!

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mimi: we want to see the new "Ghostbusters" movie, too. That, and the new "Star Trek", which we're going to see Saturday. I still have the original "Ghostbusters" station house (huge toy) stored out in our garage for our 32 y/o son to take home some day . . . hopefully soon!

Patti: I love those movies, thanks for the reminder!

Cyn: "Enchanted April"? I loved that movie! Another to add to my list. Thank you!

• always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

I never had a chance to watch Secondhand Lions. Robert Duvall is in that right?

• loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

Secondhand Lions is a wonderful movie. Duval, Caine, Osment. Fantastic boy coming of age movie -- adventure movie -- funny too!

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My mom always watches really snowy, cold movies during the hottest part of summer. From the days before central air : )

So...my two favorites are Where Eagles Dare and Breakheart Pass. Both Alistair MacLean movies and both have great casts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OpMRRgTseI&index=2&list=PLC57EA4951F864C83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgchjFBd3Y

LynnNM thanked Lavender Lass
  • mitchdesj
    7 years ago

We just watched Tallulah on Netflix, a new release, really enjoyed it, with Ellen Page and Allison Janey.

LynnNM thanked mitchdesj
  • amykath
    7 years ago

What about Bob is hilarious! I also love Rushmore. I can watch it again and again. Bill Murray is the best.

LynnNM thanked amykath
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

On Golden Pond.

A Room with a View is often overlooked by many, but is so funny and sweet. Great book too, of course.

LynnNM thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Oh, Secondhand Lions--we love that one. A summer movie with a poignant ending is 'The War' with Kevin Costner and a cast of brilliant kids. Sometimes one of us will still burst out with "Dang-ditly-dang-ditly ..." and everyone joins in.

'The Sound of Music'--always a favorite, although it spans the seasons.

LynnNM thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • cmm1964
    7 years ago

National Lampoons vacation with Chevy Chase and a very young Anthony Michael Hall and a small cameo of the late and very funny John Candy.

LynnNM thanked cmm1964
  • User
    7 years ago

What About Bob is one of our family favorites. Whenever anyone swoons over food at dinner we all laugh over of that scene at the table with Bill Murray. We watch it often here at the lake. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the kids yell "I'm sailing!!" when we're on the water.

LynnNM thanked User
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, you all have talked me into "What About Bob". I'm putting it our Netflix list. I was in Walmart yesterday and picked up "Forrest Gump". We have it, but not on DVD.

And, yes, "Secondhand Lions" is a true gem of a movie. The brothers, Michael Caine and Robert Duval, are priceless in this. Gosh, I love that movie!

I'm looking into all the rest mentioned here, but have been gone for part of the day and now need to get ready for our Friday pizza & DVD night . . . and feeding the dogs before the next rain hits.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I'm going to throw out one because I love Scotland. It's an oldie called, "I Know Where I'm Going" which is a precursor to another great one, "Local Hero." Another Scottish one, "Dear Frankie." Some others--Outsourced, Hector's Search for Happiness, The Whole Wide World, French Kiss, and of course, Dirty Dancing. I also liked the Addams Family Values movie, which has a fantastic summer camp parody. Since summer means road trips to me, some others are "The Electric Horseman" and "Smoke Signals" and "Harry and Tonto." And the all time "fun day" movie is "Roman Holiday." Maybe "Starman" for another road trip kind of movie. or how about "If It's Tuesday it Must Be Belgium" which is an oldie but a classic. I love old movies so YMMV. I suppose maybe "A River Runs Through It" but that one is sad. "The River Why" is a good scenery movie if you like fishing, but my SO thought it was boring. Apparently James Duncan, the author of the novel, didn't like it either and sued to have his name disassociated with it. The book is great if you like water and fish. Speaking of so so movies with good scenery, my dad loves "The Proposal." I think he has a mild crush on Sandra Bullock. Don't we all!

LynnNM thanked l pinkmountain
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

Just to add a little levity, I thought Secondhand Lions dull and a rotten tomato. I've been surprised by how well liked it is here, I didn't think it was popular.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Second Hand Lion's is one of my all time favorite movies. It's the best and funniest feel good movies ever. You'll come away with a big smile on your face!

LynnNM thanked Oakley
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

For some movies a little bit like "Second Hand Lions" there is "Northern Borders" with Bruce Dern and Genvieve Bujold (two standout performances) and "Unstrung Heroes" which is sad but not the "same old same old" in a movie.

LynnNM thanked l pinkmountain
  • prairiemom61
    7 years ago

The Sandlot. Funny, touching and definitely a summer movie.

Lynn, we have the Ghostbusters ambulance. DS played with it til there's not many parts left but the grandsons still play with it.

LynnNM thanked prairiemom61
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Prariemom, we also have the Ghostbusters auto and more. Speaking of which, DD and I went to see the new Ghostbusters movie yesterday afternoon. Great CGI, interesting plot, several great lines, but overall just an OK movie in my opinion.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

Moonrise Kingdom

Jaws