Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sowmya_k76

Common tree in San Jose CA

Some kind of nut tree?

Comments (12)

• marinaka Ito_10a
    7 years ago

Also the leaflets are even numbered, unlike ailanthus which has odd numbers with one at the end.

Sowmya K (San Jose, CA) thanked marinaka Ito_10a
  • Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    7 years ago

More likely Chinese Pistache...a commonly planted very drought tolerant tree in urban areas where hardy

Sowmya K (San Jose, CA) thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • Sowmya K (San Jose, CA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

By any chance the tree above is from this nut? I see these nuts frequently around here and germinating and producing similar leaves.

Its a quarter near it for size comparison:

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Agree with smivies.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Are the nuts edible?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

The nut pictured is somewhat out of focus but certainly could be a walnut. Postache has different fruit. Were there green or dark brown husks in the same area? What does it look like when cracked open?

Original Author
    5 years ago

I was hoping to save that nut to plant, if its an edible one. But just found out another seedling lurking around in one of the pots, squirrels must have put the nut in there. Are you guys sure its Chinese pistache? The nut doesn't look like came from such tree

Original Author
    5 years ago

Anybody :-) ?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Sowmya, things are getting confused. Your latest plant is clearly a nut of some kind but that doesn't mean the previous one is the same nor yet the original one from 2016. To me the latest leaf doesn't look like the very first plant's leaf. The edges are more serrated and the leaflets are slightly staggered rather than directly opposite. And, although it's hard to see the ends of the leaves in no.1, it doesn't appear to have a terminal leaflet, whereas your latest one does.

Sowmya K (San Jose, CA) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought both are same, let me examine more closely in day light tomorrow. But any idea of the nut from recent pics?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Both pictured nuts appear to be walnuts.

Sowmya K (San Jose, CA) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville