Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debnc06

Need help remodeling exterior

Diane D
7 years ago

Wish List · More Info
I purchased this foreclosed home recently. I love the large windows but the exterior and landscaping really need updating. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments (17)

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    Is the front door in the photo? Once the entrance is identified, we can make suggestions.
  • acm
    7 years ago

I think landscaping will be the biggest improvement here. The house itself is unusual, but I don't really see features that need "updating" except maybe a shade of paint...

• Diane D
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The entrance to the house is located on the side which is not shown in the photo. The very center front is just lattice in front of bare brick, not a door.
  • Steph
    7 years ago
    Landscaping for sure. If it's possible it would be cool to put a door in the front... If not I'd put a big push... "Rose of Sharon" or a funky shaped tree.
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

Why are they all windows, I wonder. Wouldn't some French or sliding doors give some nice access to this side of the house? Maybe create a semi private patio by introducing a low wall or solid fence about 15 foot in front of house? This has a very 70's Solar look to it!

• Diane D
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the private patio idea :)
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

My thought is I doubt all of those windows are to code. Depends on your budget, but I'd definitely re-work what's going on with those and add French doors for sure. This is the side yard? Is this what is visible from the street or ? It needs to be clear where the front door is. I would definitely remove the mess in the middle front and make this look like it is actually the side yard and not the front.

• Diane D
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The view in the picture is from the front street side. There is no front door, only a side door which is not visible from the street
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

The International Residential Code 2015 only requires 8% of the floor area of a room to be glazed; this is more like 45% from the looks of it, and probably was to capture passive solar (does it face south?)

• Diane D
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Very interesting. It faces southeast
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I do understand that Fred S, but in some municipalities, if you do a certain amount of work on a building you may be required to bring some things up to code and in some cases, as in where there are too many windows in a certain amount of linear feet, it can be a structural/engineering problem. The OP did not specify how much work she plans to do on the dwelling.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

And in this case the side door is you "front door," as in the one your guests will use. Therefore, it needs to be obvious to guests where to go when they arrive. That is what I meant by "front door." From your photo, it is not obvious, so landscaping to bring attention to the entry door would be helpful.

• lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- I think this house needs modern windows ... less divisions and frames. Larger store front windows in thin black frames or the girded style that are called loft style windows . There is also Nana walls for opening onto the patio . They accordion fold open , Look at Houseandhome.com -- look at the feature home for this week -- they have used the loft style in the foyer . If you look at the home tours you may also see them featured .

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Living in California, I have many photos of bi-fold doors, garage-style doors, if you want to look....

• pat1250
    7 years ago
    No offense Delap, but those veneers look kinda cheap. If stone would ever be considered (not sure why) something more realistic might suit.
  • PRO
    Delap flexible stone LLC
    7 years ago

Thanks for your opinion, however, is not a stone, it's a tile made of the marble!