Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Door Color (Dark Grey or White) & Wrought Iron Columns

Pines Everywhere
7 years ago

Help!! Two issues. I just had my crazy orange brick / shuttered front / cedar shake siding house painted. It was blue and I went Dark Grey (SW Iron Ore). Picture of partial back which is all cedar shake shown first. Second is a photo of a proposed front door. I am going with an updated style trending to Craftsmanship in back (will frame-out all windows) and in front ... well ... it is what it is. Feedback on two Front items please:

1.) Keep the wrought iron porch columns (embrace the history) & paint them Dark Grey? If you hate the columns, tell me. I am conflicted about keeping them or replacing them with plain straight streamline ones.

2.) Which Door color would you go with .... Dark Grey or White? Comment on the door selection welcome too.

Currently, the columns are painted white and I've mocked up the photos below with a grey shadow. Currently the door is blue and I've mocked up the photos to show the two options.

Comments (17)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. It helps. I like the white because it embraces the surrounds on the windows AND the garage door is white.

A nutmeg/red may work but I am queezy about it getting drowned-out by the multi-colored brick. Most "POP" color doors have a grand entrance and gable over the door -- which I would love but can't afford now. Kinda going with blend into nature with some elegance and style -- 2.5 acres, lots of trees.

MMMmh oh the design. I have another plan in mind (that will be cheaper) and will mock that up. Check back if you can. Thanks Oly!!

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another consideration for any help -- same house -- craftsmanship door this time.

I like these too vs. the wrought iron option above. Still confused about those pillars.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I like the doors that Pine's has photoshopped but I don't think it goes with the era of your style home.

I agree with Oly. I like the black columns with a white door. I also am not a fan of the scrolling on the door.

I seldom like a pop of color on the door that doesn't relate to the rest of the house.

Side story: Once though, I was walking my dog and a house was gray with a yellow mustard door. It looked great.

Pines Everywhere thanked eld6161
  • Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ugg. Welcome to my nightmare and thanks. eld6161 -- are you saying era and style is defined by those pillars? I may kill them if that is the problem. I don't want a $$$ door that is the direction I am going to be constrained by those old pillars. Door is the priority to compliment brick / shutters and kinda classic or craftsmanship in nature.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I like the Option 3 door but with dark color on the pillars. I have used Iron Ore before on my shutters and I love that color!!

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks sabbath7 -- you may be getting close. I'm liking that door more & more. If the wrought iron columns get to be a problem -- they're gone. New pix mocked up.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I like it!!! Looks good!

Pines Everywhere thanked hooked123
  • Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tx sabbath -- I can faux finish those columns as an experiment to really minimize them. Above the door I plan to faux finish that drop apron same as the brick colors in a marblized fashion (very subtle to cover that white above the door. Maybe. LOL.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I don't care for the column/railings. The style is too ornate for the house IMHO. I like the craftsman door in and of itself, but I don't think that goes with the house either. The scroll door is too frou frou for my tastes, and does go with the railing (but, IMHO not with the house).

I think your house has pretty, simple lines and so should the door and columns.

If you wanted a unique front door, maybe a half light french door with painted muntins.

Something like this maybe?

Pines Everywhere thanked MtnRdRedux
  • Kitch4me
    7 years ago

I agree with Mtn. Those railings look to ornate for the house. I wood replace with wood columns.

Pines Everywhere thanked Kitch4me
  • Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Grrr. You folks are making great points. Thank you. I am at war with those columns anyway.

Mtn, thanks so much for the photos. That first one is similar to my home in front with multiple materials -- especially the siding on the garage which I have painted dark charcoal -- leading me to like a the "blackish" door.

The second photo I had used for inspiration when considering brick painting.

What
    about the "blackish" door options below .... I don't want half-half
    w/mutin bars as I have that now with blinds and it is wayyy too country
    for me.

I am moving toward craftsmanship style or traditional/artsy
    fartsy -- maybe 3rd one?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    7 years ago

I like the darker color for the door. Choice 3A is too orange and doesn't complement the brick.

Pines Everywhere thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I love the one on the bottom right. I think you can do almost any door color youd like. I like my front doors to be super glossy.

Pines Everywhere thanked MtnRdRedux
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

You have a great home and fabulous advice.....but those columns would HAVE TO GO!!

Pines Everywhere thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all. I read an old thread from GardenWeb about similar columns. It went on for years. LOL. Collectors adore them. Homeowners hate them.

I ordered 5 interior doors that are ready for install next week. I was trying to jam my exterior Entry door in that order but won't .... this is just too big of a decision with so many options.

I will monitor this thread and keep mocking up ideas. Hubby weighed in after Mtn suggested a more traditional look -- I may just paint the door I have black and stare at it for a month. Stay tuned ... and my sincerest thanks to all!!

• Jmc101
    7 years ago

A craftsman door is just not the right door for that house. Nor is anything with scroll work or frills.

When you replace the wrought iron, also consider going with only one post on the left side to hold the roof corner up. The second post on the right side isn't needed.

Pines Everywhere thanked Jmc101