Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamondindave

Planning a cold hardy citrus shopping spree

calamondindave
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Luckily I live only about a couple hours from two nurserys that sell cold hardy citrus, Scott McKenzie farms and Woodlanders. On my next free day (If there's no ban to do so) I'm planning to go on a citrus run and purchase some trees for planting in ground. Here's what I've currently narrowed the choices down to:

Prage Citsuma

Thomasville Citrangequat

Dunstan Citrumelo

Calamandarin (I'll keep this in a pot, I just want one)

Citrus Taiwanica (Nanshodaidai)

Citrus reticulata 'Keraji' Mandarin

Citrus reticulata 'Changsha' Mandarin

Besides having two Citrumelos already, I've never had the other varieties. Anyone have some and would like to share insights as to their cold hardiness and flavor? Or perhaps would like to suggest another kind to consider? I live in NC zone 7b. My experience with citrus trees have all been in pots. Perhaps I should wait till next spring to plant in ground?

Is it legal to transport citrus from SC to NC? I'll check on that first.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I don't think you have any issues with moving them between states. If you see Stan, please tell him I said hi! I have the Prague citsuma and it is very tiny, so I can't comment on that yet, but I know there is someone who grows the thomasville in DC. My Prague citsuma is growing up and will spend at least a couple of years in a pot until I dare plant it in the ground. You may have to do that also as the trees Stan has are pretty small. Enjoy your trip! I wish I lived closer!

calamondindave thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Laura. If I see him I'll tell hi for you. I've read some good things about him and his citrus farm.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the link, Steve. Reading it reminds me to look for grafted cold hardy trees (or from cuttings?), seeing that ones started from seed takes especially long to go to fruit.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Make sure to ask Stan about that. When I talked to him the only Thomasville citranguequat were from seeds, not grafted. He said he might have some this fall though, so you may be in luck.

calamondindave thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

It is Ok to graft a Thomasville citrangequat to a Thomasville Citrangequat seedling. I did that with meteor sour cherries. I dug up a root and grafted a 2 bud twig from the same tree. It worked out very nicely. Grow seedlings from your favorite fruit then a year later graft twigs from the same tree to that seedling rootstock,

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Hi dave do you have any pics of your citrumelo? I just got one this season too, so curious how they look with fruit/more mature.

Can't go wrong with a mandarin! Isn't changsha supposed to be very good?

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

How hardy is the changsta one Hobby?

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't have current pic of my citrumelos, but I can take one tomorrow. Here's a pic of one last november when I got them both:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3516645/advice-for-planting-citrumelos

They have grown a lot since then - no fruit yet. I planted 5 calamondin seeds today, and I was thinking they will probably bear fruit before the citrumelos do. The citrumelos are really dark green and have been trouble free. Stayed outside through the deep freezes and suffered no damage.

I've wanted to find a changsha for a long time.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago

It is possible to grow Satsuma mandarins in zone 8a, in a warm spot against a south-facing fall. Satsuma is more cold-hardy than many other mandarins.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

The differences between zone 7b and zone 8 is take zone 8 cut it in half and add 4 weeks of temps dropping 5F degrease colder in the center. You still have the original harsh anti citrus weather at each end plus you get 4 more weeks of pure citrus hell in the middle. Not only that but you loose 4 weeks of growing weather by cutting out the BEST 4 weeks out of the center of the growing season. A half a zone is MUCH harsher than it feels like on paper.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    7 years ago

I hope you have success. It's going to be hard in 7b. Definitely need to ha e a plan for covering them. I would wait until early spring before planting out.

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Hi Laura, I think the chnagsha is hardy lime a kumquat.... how the is the vacay? :)

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm in a warm 7b, probably only about 40 miles from zone 8. Our winters can be very mild one week, then real cold the next, but usually not bitter cold for very long. Last December a Calamondin seed sprouted outside around Christmas! (Link to that..). Its in a pot doing well today.

I will probably have to help the trees along when the freaky cold temps come. There are some really good ideas for doing that shared on this forum.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

• nembden
    7 years ago

It's better if you wait till spring to plant in ground. If you do it now, they will het stressed by the heat since their roots haven't setteld in yet. Then Winter comes while they're trying to recover..

The citrangequat is decent. I have one in 7b/8a that puts out a lot of fruit. a 5 year old tree from seed with 20-30 fruit. It flowered again last month, and set some more fruit. Decent limeish taste, and I do zero protection.

For sour citrus, it does ok if you like limes. My wife is a lemon person so she doesn't partake. I tasted Changsha before as well, and it is also decent but get used to seeds. There is a seedless Changsha which might be out in a year or two from UGA.

It's the best chance for sweet hardy citrus.

I had a taiwanica but gave it to a coworker, as I have way too many citrus now.

It has not fruited yet.

calamondindave thanked nembden
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Go ahead with the Changsha. The only reason I don't have one is I could not find the seeds or a tree of its kind. seeds are fun to spit. When they breed the seeds out they will probably remove its cold hardiness. Expect to pay through the nose for this new seedless tree.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nembden, thanks for the advice. It makes sense. I should wait for spring to plant. Sounds like you have a good citrangequat. A 5 year old seed grown tree putting out that much fruit already is very great.

poncirusguy, perhaps ask Stan to hook you up with some Changsha fruit/seeds? If I ever get some Changsha fruit I'd be glad to share any seeds.

Stan has both Prage & Thomasville in stock now. I'll try and get some of those. Changsha is on my must get list also. And I may try planting some of my older Owari's in a well protected spot. And my citrumelos will go in. I'm planning for 12 outside trees altogether.

Now I just have to get my wife's approval for spending money on this project. Somehow I think that be harder to overcome than any cold. lol..

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Dave Did you get the Citrus Spending Appropriation Bill through the House yet. If so Did you get a Citsuma Prague and how is it doing. Do you know what it is grafted on.

Steve

calamondindave thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Steve, I have one of those grafted onto flying dragon I think...it is very slow growing and has lots of thorns. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think it was flying dragon. It did bloom on one branch last summer, but the fruit fell off.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No Steve, I haven't got the OK yet. We had some unexpected house expenses that hit us kind of hard, then came the holidays, property tax, etc. Trying to rebuild the gardening budget before spring arrives. Will be driving by the McKenzie farm in late March. Hope I can come back with some new citrus this time.