Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Streaming audio hardware

mtvhike
7 years ago

I stream a lot of audio from the internet on my iPhone, sometimes connecting it to external speakers. In my other home, I have a Yamaha RX A1010 receiver which will stream the audio I want, but I need another, more modern device. When I went to the local Best Buy, I was told that most modern "streaming" devices are using Spotify, Pandora, or other paid subscriptions. The streaming services I use are hosted by the radio stations which are the sources. Most, but not all, are NPR stations. Any suggestions?

In addition to this desired device to connect to my new home theater system, I would also like a table radio which also streams. Bose makes one but its $275 price tag is a little steep.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Aire Theater Designs
    7 years ago

I would look at Sonos. They are compatible with more services than anyone else but ESPECIALLY radio stations which it sounds like would be a key feature based on your info above (NPR).

Their unit that integrates with the RXA1010 is around $349.00 and the secondary units start at $199.00. Here's some write-ups we've done on their products.

http://www.airetheaterdesigns.com/blog/itemlist/tag/sonos

Good luck!.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you for linking me to your Aire Theater designs blog. You recommend Definitive Technology over Sonos, because of their higher sound quality. Does their product line support high resolution audio (such as from SACDs)? A local (Long Island, NY) home theater dealer recommend a product line from Blue Sound. Any comments regarding them?

• PRO
    Aire Theater Designs
    7 years ago

I'm not familiar with their products. My concern with any newer product in this arena is functionality and wireless performance. There are MANY potential issues with wireless streamers...this is one of the reasons that guys like me like Sonos' line. The things just work and they have lots of features. Most of my peers stay away from all of the other streamers out there because we don't want to stake our reputations and/or waste time on potential issues (ex: "Why did the music stop streaming, why did TuneIn suddenly disappear, why won't it play my library, etc.").

What type of music do you want to listen to in high-res? Ex: existing CD library, streaming services, etc.?

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Primarily existing CD library, including SACDs and some newer on-line sources, including FLAC DSD files from Acoustic Sounds.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm pursuing my quest for streaming hardware. After I visited a friend who has a Sonos system, I was pretty impressed. I went to the local Big Box store which sells the Sonos line, and they actually recommended Bose equivalent. There are other streaming hardware systems out there, which I guess are incompatible with each other. Yamaha and Bluesound are two I've heard of. Bluesound claims to support higher resolution formats. Any comments from you pros?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    6 years ago

Personally we prefer Sonos. We have experimented with HEOS (Denon's equivalent), Yamaha's MusicCast, Airplay in various licensed products and a few others. From an app standpoint, all pretty good with each having slight advantages and disadvantages when compared against each other. Some have a harder time syncing up their audio output when playing in multiple rooms, causing a slight echo effect when the different zones are close together. Sonos does this pretty well. Lutron has partnered with Sonos to offer up an audio "Pico" for local zone control, furthering its attractiveness. When paired with a Lutron Caseta lighting system for example, you can add a 3-way lighting circuit Pico and a Sonos audio Pico in a 2-gang Lutron Claro wall plate with NO wiring. Pretty slick! From a sound quality standpoint, we feel Sonos is the best so far. Adding to this the equivalent easy of use to the app and negligible if not non-existent multi-room echo effect we feel it is the best buy.

Notice I say "so far" however as new offerings come out every day. For example, one product offering that could greatly effect our Sonos recommendation is the Apple HomePod. At $349 retail is it aimed directly at Sonos so we will see what happens when that comes out at the end of this year .

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your input, again. You mention the echo effect, which I assume is a time delay between different rooms. When my speakers are hardwired, there is no delay (that I can detect). So there is a small delay in the different branches of a Sonos system? I would like to play several rooms simultaneously and, of course, a delay would be undesirable. I like the Tune-In app my friend has. I did notice that one station was frequently dropped, but others were not. Is that a problem with the station?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    6 years ago

So wireless syncing of audio signals across multiple zones is not an easy thing to do. Personally I don't think anyone corrects this issue perfectly. However, Sonos almost does and gets the closest to no echo from the products we have tested. So I can't say there is no effect at all and it is the exact same as wired speakers. However, I can safely say the echo effect is so slight you may not notice it at all. Free streaming audio stations (which is what much of Tune-in is) are not 100% reliable. Many may actually be broadcast using pretty sketchy equipment by only 1-2 people. So with some stations, yes dropping out is an issue and can't really be corrected (assuming nothing is wrong with your network). However for all the major AM and FM stations you hear on an AM/FM radio this is generally not an issue.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Have you tested Bluesound products and can you make a comparison with Sonos, regarding sound quality and this echo effect mentioned above?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    6 years ago

I have not tested no. Bluesound is going to be able to process higher res audio than Sonos can if that is an issue for you, but Sonos does CD level quality process which is fine for most. One thing I might question on Bluesound is how much Wifi bandwidth it uses. With 1x Sonos piece hard wired and the rest wireless, Sonos creates the SonosNet network on which it communicates and streams, minimizing bandwidth usages on your overall notwork. Not sure on Bluesound. If you haven't already done so you might want to check out some shoot-outs of the various models like this one to gather some more data: https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-wireless-speakers. Not my blog, but useful data.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't realize WiFi bandwidth is significant, other than for streaming video.

Sponsored
More Discussions