Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedojo

Kitchen backsplash

Jennifer
7 years ago
Hi! We just updated our kitchen. We put in awesome Antigo Bianco granite countertops. We also resurfaced our cabinets to be a dark brown matte stain. Our floors are dark brown tile. Really happy with how everything looks so far but I am so stumped on the backsplash. Please help!

Comments (71)

• N C
    7 years ago
    I would do a light gray oversized subway tile for sure!
  • PRO
    Home Probe
    7 years ago
    your counter tops are pretty busy, so I would go with the one on the far left. I offers enough compliments to tie everything together.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Gray tiles will not go with this granite. No predominate gray in it at all. At least, as far as I know.

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    Almond is usually darker than cream or off white. I'd do cream/off white. I like them offset like traditional bricks; lining them up looks contemporary.
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    7 years ago

Here's an example of really dark cabinetry with Bianco Antico counters

Kitchen - Lansdale · More Info
    and using a white tile with a pattern as the backsplash.

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    Skippack I like that!
  • N C
    7 years ago
    Cortona Kitchen · More Info
  • N C
    7 years ago
    University Park Remodel · More Info
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

Bianco Antico Granite countertops feature a soft gray background with warm taupe and pink flecks.

I think your granite would look good with a grey glass backsplash like this one from Lowes Allen and Roth Smoke 3x12

Allen and Roth also has a very pretty glazed ceramic tile in colors Pearl, Chocolate, and Fawn. I think you could use any one of those colors depending how light or dark you wanted to go:)

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Skippack Tile & Stone that looks beautiful! Do you have information on the tile? If anything, I am convinced on the cream coloured tile.
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Or white tile. It looks great!
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    IMO, a backsplash should be a solid color matching one of the lighter colors in your granite. There will be canisters, maybe a toaster and a mixer, or other things on the counters. It will look cluttered with a mosaic of colors on the wall.
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    7 years ago

Jennifer. glad you like the look. That particular tile is from Senio; I'm not sure where you are located, but look at specilaty tile places.

• PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've seen this glass backsplash with Bianco Antique and its my favorite option!

Looks great

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @WS Granite Tops
    Is that a grey? Do you have a picture?
  • PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago

Yes, its a light grey 3x6 glass.

I don't have a picture with both together, countertops and backsplash.

• User
    7 years ago

I like the idea of something creamy colored. Would go well with the floor. And would stop an overload of brown. I don't know if I'd like anything grey with your floor color even though it's pretty with the granite.

• ilesliemy
    7 years ago
    Gray will not be a classic look! Your kitchen is lovely.
  • PRO
    Mike Bridgman / Willson Kitchen Design Studio
    7 years ago

I agree with many of the others something solid in color. I think back painted glass would look nice.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Just trying to give support - this reminded me of your earlier sampling - not too bad - but idk what mix of materials is best.

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Opinions on these 2 colours?
    Am I on the right track??
    They come in 3 x 6 / 4 x 4 / 6 x 6 / 4 x 16
  • PRO
    JLD Kitchens And Design, LLC (732) 673-7132
    7 years ago

A mixture of stones onyx, pearl, etc works well with sepia stained cabinets along with ss

• N C
    7 years ago
    I like the lighter one in a large tile.
  • Ann
    7 years ago

Yes, you're now on exactly the right track! The lighter of those two looks fantastic!

• kjoy1
    7 years ago
    3x6 lighter one
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

lighter in large

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    I like the lighter one, but I think either would be nice.
  • ilesliemy
    7 years ago
    The lighter one in large!
  • kuikuis
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is obscure, so the best option for me is the proposal done by Carolyn Albert-Kincl

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    7 years ago

Maybe choosing a solid and lighter subway tile for your kitchen is best? Here is an example of a few kitchens we completed to get the feel of what we are talking about:

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

Issaquah Modern · More Info

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago

I think you should go even lighter than the lighter of the two you've shown us, and I suggest you look for a 4x10" subway tile. For sure you should not use a 4x4 or 6x6.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your input, I totally appreciate every word
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mosaic or no mosaic?

We're thinking of running a thin strip.

Opinions please!!
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Or maybe running a darker shade?
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

1st photo has me thinking 'she' is wearing too much jewelry / it's too much also with counter.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I read early comments about white tiles - it would make paint color terra cotta [?] look more bright and orange. What color are latest? It should be a match with counter's lighter color.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

You'll have stove hood?? maybe that would be place for combination tile with s.steel and stone.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We have a microwave/vent fan going in there. Nothing fancy.
  • User
    7 years ago

My vote is no strip of anything.

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago

No mosaic, please. Simplicity is what works well these days.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Gosh I'm back to color - is counter a mocha? almond fudge....

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Jennifer, I am not expert, but looking at your initial photos - and no 'detailed features' for stove hood, etc.... or even lighting to visually add to the mix ... I liked your same hues / seemed to me of: large floor tiles, medium-ish stone backsplash, and tiny flecks/ etc. in counters. Ok, I've explained best I could.

But that's over I think -- your subway looks like color of counters -- but squares appeals? your handles have such rectangular, sorry I like subway.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @everdebz I certainly appreciate all your comments
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Those are just sample tiles. They come in 3 x 6 rectangular which is what we'd go with
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Thank you Jennifer, I try... :)

oh the same but rectangular. What color are they? Wish you could photoshop 1 row in darker.... are they both in counter - and are glass?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Whoever was holding up the tiles - reminds me how difficult / messy to find correct row for accenting with a row.... with outlets there. No pendants right? or fireplace etc... in adjoining room, yes curious.

• pat1250
    7 years ago
    Prefer the lighter tile to brighten the space. No band of tile as it will compete with the beautiful countertop, and make it very busy. Less is more. Beautiful kitchen BTW.
  • Ann
    7 years ago

No mosaic and no strip. I think you'll really regret it later (I certainly do after 10 years) if you do that.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I agree with no mosaic and no strip. Your countertops are the stars. You do not want to detract from them!! Not everything has to be the star.