Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
info249071

Anyway to make maple kitchen cabinets work in a modern kitchen design?

Maria
7 years ago

We are moving into a new house and will be redoing the kitchen. My husband wants to keep the maple kitchen cabinets. I wanted to have them painted white but talking to the painter might not be the best for wear and tear with a couple of toddlers. We are for sure going to adding an island, changing the flooring, lighting, countertops and updating the appliances to stainless steel. Also adding hardware to the cabinets and drawers. Any suggestion's as to how to make this look modern and updated with keeping the original cabinets?

Comments (25)

• Darzy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm sorry but paint will not make your kitchen look contemporary. The house is quite traditional with the cabinets, arches, columns, etc. What I propose is to go transitional to marry the traditional and contemporary together. You could leave the cabinets alone and remove all of the flooring in the home and install a tad darker hardwood flooring to give the floor and cabinets some contrast. You could install updated chandelier and pendant over the sink in a transitional style to mix things up. A nice size round transitional dinette table will break up the rectangles. Stainless appliances, etc.

If you don't want to change the flooring, you could sand and stain the cabinets a little darker color.

Maria thanked Darzy
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 years ago
    Google Lyme wax
  • Lizzy L.
    7 years ago

Paint them white.

• imhofan
    7 years ago

Hi Maria. I think you could get an updated look with painting your cabinetry a mid tone grey or greige to complement the new stainless appliances, dark granite and work with your existing floors. New stainless handles. I would also replace the current shelves with a stainless shelf (check IKEA). I think the current desk area would make a great under counter beverage fridge center, if can retrofit. Yes, new lighting will be important and is so key to any room!

• Maria
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for everyone's suggestions. Basically I am looking for options to update and modernize the kitchen without altering the cabinets with the exception of hardware. We are changing everything except the cabinets.

Darzy what tone for the island we will be installing and table would you suggest?
  • Donald
    7 years ago
    Paint them...toddlers don't stay toddlers forever and a painted surface can be touched up in the future.
  • yellowfingertogreenthumb
    7 years ago

Good Morning,

As an interior designer/Architect, I would have to agree with Darzy. You need more contrast, and what better way to achieve this than to fight flooring with cabinets. If you however would like to save money of flooring, you can take the approach Lizzy L. was suggesting; painting the cabinets. If you do push that way, I would advice painting the table as well. This will leave your kitchen nice and bright allowing the natural light to bounce more throughout the room without disturbing the eye with numerous ironic shades.

p.s : the table is the right nominee for a rust paint wash look.

• yellowfingertogreenthumb
    7 years ago

since I design everything in my home, from the flooring to the paintings, I like to play with different styles of designs and colors. So my table design is more on the industry form. Nevertheless, it is to show you the paint wash I mentioned previously. maybe try burnt amber or darker stain with a white wash over top.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    7 years ago

I agree your kitchen needs more contrast, but don't think you need to paint the cabinets to update it. Install new dark quartz countertops - I can suggest Silestone Marengo which is on the lower end price-wise for quartz. Install a new backsplash to coordinate, add some hardware in oil-rubbed bronze. Paint the new island white or dark gray. Stainless appliances would go a long way in updating the look also.

Newton Residence · More Info

Maria thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • acm
    7 years ago

I would paint. But if you don't want to do that, agree that the way to maximize the update is to darken the floor (I think I'd refinish rather than replacing) for contrast, and then go with light counters and backsplash. Going for something like this:

Robbs Run Residence · More Info

Sonoma / Sea Ranch Redux · More Info

Venice Walk Street house · More Info

I think it can look quite nice -- large pulls and updated hardware throughout will help. Be sure to treat yourself to a high-necked modern faucet too! :)

Maria thanked acm
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    If you're changing furniture why not get a round table (with a leaf if you need it occasionally). Light should be lower with the bottom of chandelier 30-36" from table. Light always looks better facing up. Island could be black.
    Maria thanked Jan
  • Maria
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The table is the previous owner's so we will for sure be changing the kitchen table!

• freedomplace1
    7 years ago

There are many people who prefer wood cabinets to white/painted cabinets, etc. White/painted cabinets have been a popular trend, but it is just one style - and does not necessarily delineate what is 'modern'. Maple cabinets are not 'un-modern'. Your cabinets also have clean, simple lines which would be consistent with one approach to modern design.

There are many ways you could go with an update. I think I might just work with the elements that are already in place, and keep it really simple.

I would:

- Bring in stainless appliances.

- Bring in new chandelier.

- 'Maybe' change light near window (I might just keep that one).

- Do some under cabinet lighting.

- Bring in a modern table in wood, with chairs that complement the countertop.

Something along these lines:

I also 'might' (and it's a big might) paint the kitchen to a neutral color that would complement all the woods... like a sand - or maybe go with antique white/off white... something to that effect. But I like the light sage color that is there (looks like a sage color on my monitor, at least). It's a nice color and goes well with the wood, etc. Those sort of sage greens are also nice because they offer the visual effect of more space. And it's also a really nice color to have, adjacent to - what looks like - an outdoor space. But if you do paint, I recommend using 'green' - i.e. 'environmentally friendly' types of paint. BM has a couple of lines, and there are others.

Maria thanked freedomplace1
  • cpaul1
    7 years ago

There is nothing you can do about those dated cabinets other than paint them. It simply has to be done. And it makes no sense to spend all of that money on updating everything else to leave those old cabinets that color. Nothing will look nice in the kitchen until you address those cabinets.

• Darzy
    7 years ago

I would consider a simple portable stainless island. Or, a stainless top and wood base/legs painted a color. (depending on your color scheme and wall color). I wouldn't even put hardware on the cabinets. You'll want to put contemporary knobs but it may look off with traditional cabinets so I'd leave them off. Also, if you'd like an updated look, I would suggest removing the microwave over the stove and get a small microwave and put it on the wall shelf next to the refrigerator. Then, you can put a beautiful stainless vent above the stove. Refreshing the wood cabinets will give them some luster back. With your new floor, stainless appliances and hood, new faucet, updated lighting and transitional furniture, you'll have a lovely updated transitional kitchen. :)

PS. What material is the counter now? It doesn't look so bad. If it's okay, I'd save the cash and get beautiful lighting and furniture for the home. The jewelry sometimes gets put on the back burner and that's the fun stuff. :)

Sample stainless island and hood vent...

PS...I'm not crazy about the wheels on the island.

Tobin High Bluff Waterfront Remodel, Camano Island WA · More Info
    Soter Vineyard Tasting Room · More Info

Maria thanked Darzy
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

Darzy has hit the nail on the head. The idea that a beautiful, natural wood cabinet has to be painted in order to be modern is beyond me. I just remodeled my kitchen and it's a mid tone stained flat panel maple. The stainless appliances and the right flooring and lighting will go a long way to modernizing your kitchen while still keeping with the more traditional feel of the house. In my opinion, painting a recessed panel cabinet white will make it feel more traditional, not more modern.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I really like some of the stained cabinet pictures that have been posted. Your cabinets are not "dated" and there is no moral imperative to paint them - the design police will not stop by:)

I agree a range hood and door hardware, possibly glass panels in some of the doors will all help make your kitchen more your style.

• Maria
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize there was no hood range. I must have a hood range! Didn't have one in my old house and it drove me nuts! Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

For what it's worth, a microwave over the range can vent outside and have a decent size fan to do so - obviously I don't know if yours does. But if moving the microwave elsewhere is going to impinge on storage or counter space, consider an outside vented microwave. (If the current one doesn't vent outside, you are going to have to add venting, whether for range hood or microwave fan).

Maria thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Less traditional - maybe drywall over current columns. With maple and simple stain, you see what the wood is. No question that it's beautiful.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

But maybe it's too amber I can't tell. Your and other comments are great. Post when you're adding new things? Is your current dining set so bad.....

• everdebz
    7 years ago

The cabinets off to the left - those could be changed to more neutral in paint or:

www.anniesloan.com

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I want to add another thought about 'boring' amount of wood. The standard of fashion's little black dress, to me is just ok. Many kitchens also start with a basic like that dress, but have to add on.... it's the way it is. So you're adding what you need to. Give 'her' chunky necklace/chandelier and maybe funky cork platforms,etc.... maybe she needs a scarf over glass doors.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Once appliances are steel, could this [or less-busy] fabric recover seats? Maybe dark-ish tone for table part? Trying to tie in new frig and wood tones and adjoining paint......

Mochachino Multi Stripe Fabric In Multi Color, 10 Yards · More Info