Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedygs

Shower Bench yes or no?

hedygs
7 years ago

Our design calls for a shower bench but I am wondering if our shower is even big enough for one. The shower originally was 6'2" x 3'3" but was made smaller to accommodate the tile we purchased so it is now to be 6'x3'. Anyway the design included a 3' bench along the back wall of the shower. Went to a tile shop and checked out showers there and I think the shower is too small.

Any opinions please?

Comments (27)

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

I think it's big enough (same dimensions as the shower in my previous home and we had a bench) but I also think shower benches are useless.

• Katrina Tate
    7 years ago

Our design also had a bench on the back wall ( approx 5' x 3' shower). We took it out and will use a portable teak bench. Most people with shower benches that I asked said they never even use them although they take up valuable bathroom real estate.

• roarah
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a 3x5 and opted for a moveable light weight garden stool for my shower like that I can place it where I need it. I have planned for a built in bench outside the shower though for getting dressed and doing pedicures.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I'm definitely going to use my shower bench. A lot. All the time. Can't wait lol

We have a teak chair in our current shower-I don't feel it's stable enough, for my needs.

But our new shower is pretty big..don't recall the measurements right now. Also, everybody's different..I did everything to incorporate bench from the beginning of the design, since I knew it would be extremely important for me.

• vpierce
    7 years ago

If it's along the back wall, will the water even hit it? What do you envision using it for? I find tile benches to be cold and not at all pleasant to sit on....

• mark_rachel
    7 years ago

3' wide is going to feel tight, but 5' is going to feel large. I think a bench at the end would be just fine.

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

I have a similar sized shower with a corner bench (google Better Bench).

• zackin
    7 years ago

We have a corner bench, similar to Beekeeper's photo, but without the tile support. The triangle bench is attached to the two walls and looks unsupported - though it is very sturdy.

I use it a lot. I don't often sit on it, but I put bottles there while showering to get them out of the water stream; I use it for a footrest while shaving legs; and sometimes sit on it and use the nearby handheld shower. I would miss it if we didn't have it.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Funny I was all set to put one in this time and after using the one in our rental in NY, I have decided to put a removable bench in instead. Every time I sit down on the shower bench, I wind up jumping up because it's just cold. I hate sitting on anything cold.

• rantontoo
    7 years ago

I agree with cpartist; tried our once for 15 seconds...it was a waste of moneysince it is used for holding product and a foot rest for shaving legs. I did not want one...husband insisted...he has never sat on it in the three years we have had it. There are cheaper alternatives than a bench for foot rest and holding product/shower necessities. I would use a movable bench if you ever need one.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I do not have a built in but to those who mention how cold it is could you spray it with the hot shower water to warm it before use?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

vpierce, it can be solved, For example, we installed a hand held shower next to the bench. And I made damn sure the bench is the right size for me. I envision..well, being able to take a shower there:)

• Georgi
    7 years ago

Our shower is neo-shaped and I love the quartz-topped bench that is along one wall with the niche above it, so there is no clutter on the bench. The hand held spray is nearby, and when the water is warm, it takes one second of spraying to warm up the bench and the surrounding walls.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all for the input. Thought I had resolution but now my husband doesn't like the idea of using the same granite as our vanity top for the bench. It would be mounted in the wall where we have chosen some beautiful large tile and he doesn't care for it. Thank goodness we are just in the planning stages.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

I also vote for a moveable teak bench. Consider the benefits:

- You can always position it just where you want it to be: under the rainshower, over near the shower head, or out of the shower altogether if you want to fit two people in.

- It can be positioned in such a way that a child (or a sick adult) can sit down and a caregiver can stand behind him and wash his hair.

- In the future, if necessary, it can be removed and replaced with a full-fledged hospital chair.

- It doesn't interrupt the look of your tile.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am looking for a contemporary seat. If I find that it will certainly be a consideration. You'd think he could have mentioned his dislike of the granite bench while we were with our designer yesterday.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I considered this portable bench for my shower.

Taymor Urban Modern Shower Stool · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/taymor-urban-modern-shower-stool-prvw-vr~42389031

hedygs thanked roarah
  • sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Are you supposed to sit on that stool without a pad? To me, it looks very uncomfortable.

• roarah
    7 years ago

I thought the slats are spaced similarly to teak slats and assumed it would warm with warm water sprayed on it.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I saw that stool. Interesting. There are a couple possibilities that I found. I am considered, of course, that NOT having a bench might hurt us when we try to sell this house.

• arlinek
    7 years ago

Just my two cents: that chromed seat has sharp/pointed corners - don't like that. And boy, will this need constant cleaning! Will show every drop of water stain, will never look good unless wiped down after every use (that job itself would take me 10 min. due to so many sides and angles) and betcha those screws are not chromed or rust-proofed sufficiently. Even chrome eventually rusts up in spots. I think that would be a mistake.

hedygs thanked arlinek
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

i've considered this one; has anyone tried it?

• hedygs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Saw that one as well and liked it. Only complaint was how heavy it is.

• bahacca
    7 years ago

I personally could care less about a bench in the shower. I'd have more issue with it only being 3' wide, especially if that doesn't take into account the added inches of the width of backer board and tile. Mine is 33" and I despise it. When I am lathering or rinsing my hair and turn, I hit my elbows! So be sure to do a "wingspan" check!lol

• hedygs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not understanding your post. Does your bench infringe on your space so you knock your elbows on the walls?