Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrico

Need Help With Exterior Remodel / Updating

Nic Loe
7 years ago

We recently moved into a home that was built in the 1980's and needs updating badly! What to do is the question. I have no idea what style of home this is. I love the idea of having a large porch, beefing up the columns (perhaps to a ranch/craftsmen inspired style), maybe siding or just a fresh coat of paint?

Having a difficult time envisioning it all. Please help!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

What you can do with this house depends on your budget and where upgrades would put it in your neighborhood. Don't ever overbuild a house or neighborhood!

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

We had similar split. We added the porch, screened in to the long span down the side of the garage. Ours already had a roof and railing so it was an inexpensive transformation for us. Not sure how a front porch works with the window at ground level.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Definitely agree with eld161 regarding removing the boards (that is what we did and it looks 100% better). When we had ours redone, the contractor advised that those boards were added to cover up seams, not to try for a Tudor look, as I had thought. Therefore, I would use caution when removing the boards; find a very short one and see if it covers a matching seam or a gapping seam. If a gapping seam, you may have to replace the siding. Otherwise, you could just paint the current boards and siding the same color. Also would replace the current columns with three beefier ones.

• Nic Loe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you! Anyone know of someone who could create a rendering to visualize these changes? It is most difficult to visualize it all.
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What's the deal with the low window? Is that a sunken living room? Agree about taking Tudor-ish wood down and painting garage doors the color of house you choose or one shade down. I think that low window needs to be addressed .

Or, perhapes moving the shrubs in front of that window will help with making it look less disproportioned. Two glass doors would help with the proportion at the entry because of the glass above the door...both reflections would bring the eye up a bit and to that area. I would paint the brick the color of the house, right now it's being a bit of an attention hog. One's eye goes there first when it should go to the entry.

• Nic Loe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The window is a large window in a "sitting room" to the left of the front entry way. There's a bathroom on the 2nd floor above it. The vanity is on that wall. The window for this bathroom is on the side of house.

Keep the ideas coming! This is great. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can assist with the design to give us visuals and a plan?
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022