Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbug_1971

Birch too near house - professional advice?

Val Lynn
7 years ago

I have a very large birch (not sure which type) right at the corner of my house that needs work. My insurance said is has to be cut back at least 5' from the house. I've gotten 3 quotes, and the 2 I got to speak with personally recommended very different approaches, so I'm stumped, so to speak. ;-)

1) Highly recommend removal because large root will absolutely eventually crack the house's foundation, but they'll gladly top it, cut it back from the house, remove a couple broken limbs, and even remove the 4th tree trunk whose branches hang right over the house and have been dropping stuff into my gutters and onto the roof for years, which of course causes other issues.

2) Told me to absolutely NOT top the tree; that topping trees will open it up to disease and put stresses on the tree, eventually most likely killing it. They also told me topping doesn't solve the problem that I'm worried about - the tree or part of it falling on my house or my neighbor's house. They said it would send out shoots right away and grow quickly to try to reach original height, plus the tree would be weaker and thus MORE likely to fall over in a storm. They highly recommended I have the tree pruned throughout, taking out dead wood and thinning somewhat to allow the wind to blow through so it wouldn't be knocked over as easily. They also told me that if the foundation of the house isn't cracked at this point, it's likely that the roots have found another way and won't crack it - that birch trees have relatively soft roots that don't necessarily crack foundations.

My tree is probably 27 years old. I'd estimate it's around 50-60 feet tall. There are 4 trunks, and I'd like to remove the one that leads to the main branch that overhangs the house. (I was told by both companies that this wouldn't damage the integrity of the tree and wouldn't make the other trunks any more likely to fall over because it's the root system holding the tree in place and not the trunk I want removed.) The large root going right up to the bricks of the house is probably 4-6" wide at the part I can see next to the house. It skirts around the side of the house where it meets the bricks, but I don't know how far back it continues on that path. The crawl space entrance is about 12-15 feet back along that side of the house, and it goes downward about 3 feet (no root showing anywhere else I can see). I crawled around the basement during a heavy rainstorm the other day. I couldn't see any cracks, and the worst I could see down under there are a few minor drips running down the bricks. I've been told that's not anything to worry about, but I'm not sure. That wasn't expert opinion; just friends. However, the drips there could also coincide with where the water has pooled up just outside of the house where puddles have formed because of clogged gutters above.

I'm thinking I'll probably have the low-hanging branches cut back to elevate the walkway underneath, have one entire trunk removed which would include the big branch that hangs over the house, have the rest of the tree trimmed back from the house far enough so it's not going to do damage in a storm, and have the dead wood removed.

If anyone has professional information on what's correct as far as birch roots being "soft" and probably not doing damage to the house's foundation 27 years after planting versus what the other company told me - it *will* absolutely crack my foundation, just a matter of time - topping versus not topping, removing an entire trunk, etc., please let me know. I would really appreciate some more information seeing as everything I've got is conflicting, and I think the tree is absolutely beautiful and love the shade, don't want to remove it, but I don't want to keep it in the ground if it's going to fall over and ruin a house or crack my foundation and ruin a house. ;-)

Thanks in advance, guys! I'll see how many photos I can post below... I took almost 20 just now for reference.

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I'd have that tree removed by the second guy. He's absolutely right about topping. I really don't know about the roots being 'soft'.

Val Lynn thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • lisanti07028
    7 years ago

I don't like cutting trees down in general, but I think that one has got to go, and soon, I am sorry that you will lose a good tree, but it's way, way too close to the house.

Val Lynn thanked lisanti07028
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Let me add that I greatly appreciate the importance of shade. Our home faces the west; our front door would get so hot that we couldn't touch it! The whole front of the house felt blazing hot until the sun went down.

The tree we planted thirty feet away from the house less than ten years ago has completely changed that environment, casting more and more shade every year.

Plant another tree and nurture it.

Val Lynn thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Val Lynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good idea. Wish we'd done that 10 years ago like you did! Our house faces south, and the tree provides amazing shade. If it goes, we'll miss it for so many reasons.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    7 years ago

"I crawled around the basement during a heavy rainstorm the other day. I
    couldn't see any cracks, and the worst I could see down under there are
    a few minor drips running down the bricks. I've been told that's not
    anything to worry about, but I'm not sure. That wasn't expert opinion;
    just friends. However, the drips there could also coincide with where
    the water has pooled up just outside of the house where puddles have
    formed because of clogged gutters above."

Hello Val,

Not sure it makes the biggest difference, but is this a basement you have or a crawl space?

Also, there may be a way to split the difference so to say. Remove the one birch trunk now and plant a replacement tree outside the drip line. Come back in five years and remove the rest of the birch. That way you'll have a head start on a replacement.

Val Lynn thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • Val Lynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, boy... yeah, it's a CRAWL SPACE. Oops... haha! ;-)

I do like the idea of planting another tree now to get a nice start and just cutting back our current tree, one trunk included, at this point. I might call the 3rd company that quoted me (but that I couldn't meet with earlier) and ask their opinion about the sturdiness/safety of the tree at this time, and also talk to my neighbors to see if they're worried about the tree and how they would feel if I just cut it back somewhat now and remove it completely in a few years.

Great idea! Thanks. :-)

BTW, any idea if the market fluctuates much as far as tree trimming/removal prices go? I got decent quotes, and I'd hate to put removal off now if there's a good chance cost will double or something crazy in the next 5 years.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    7 years ago

Has a certified arborist looked at it? Tree companies generally don't know anything at all--certainly the guy who wanted to top the tree (better known as tree mutilation) doesn't.

Val Lynn thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Whatever you decide to do, stay away from the first guy!! As previously mentioned several times, topping is NEVER a recommended practice. And the "large root will absolutely eventually crack the house's foundation" is inaccurate as well. The threat of tree roots and foundation damage is typically highly overstated - very few tree roots can damage a foundation if the foundation is structurally secure. Any foundation damage that may occur is typically attributed to subsidence or the shifting of the soil (especially clay soils) during alternating wet and dry seasons, NOT to tree roots. When tree roots encounter an impenetrable object or surface - like a foundation - they simply change direction. So using the term "absolutely" is misleading, a bit of scaremongering and indicates a lack of knowledge on this individual's part.

Val Lynn thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

na na na..

na na na...

hey hey hey ...

good bye ... lol

get rid of it.. before you can not buy insurance for the house ...

personally.. i do not waste money by bifurcating the job into two very expensive jobs ...

plant a new tree after this one is gone ... making an obstacle course for the removers.. doesnt make the job cheaper or easier ...

when you replant.. do not go too large ... if you have read any of the other posts about such ..

where are you.. that a house like that.. does not have a basement .. and i wonder why??? ... are you in some storm belt.. which might answer why your insurance company is so interested ....

ken

Val Lynn thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Val Lynn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all of the opinions. I looked into it and found out that both companies I got quotes from already are tree companies and are not certified arborists. The third guy that quoted us turns out *is* an arborist, but they didn't coordinate when they'd be out very well and we missed them. I have a call in to him to hopefully get a professional opinion from an arborist that has been here to see it. Hopefully he gives me some solid info.

Rhizo_1 - Funny. I'd talk to the neighbors if I decide I might want to try to keep it cuz I'm torn between leaving or removing it so far, but if they're seriously worried I might lean toward removal more. They are fantastic folks. ;-)

Gardengal48 & Rhizo_1 & Laceyvail --- Thanks for letting me what you've heard about "topping" trees. Gives me a heads-up to stay away from that company.

Ken_adrian - I'm in the Midwest; maybe that's why insurance is worried about the tree. They had to retake photos recently to redo insurance, and they said it needs to be cut back 5'. No basement; I should have stated "crawl space" in my initial description. Thanks for pointing out the possibility of the job of tree removal being more difficult with another tree in the way. I think there's probably enough room to maneuver around, but I'll keep that in mind and check with whoever comes to do pruning or removal for their take on it.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

agree with rhizo. Remove and replace with something more appropriate.