Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpweigelt

Paint and landscape ideas please!

Helen Weigelt
7 years ago
thank you for everyone's ideas when I posted previously! we have decided to enlarge the trim on the upper window, replace the upper window to match the lower ones (we will probably salvage an old one that has the divided glass paneling) and replicate the existing archway and columns but make it extend about 2 feet. Finally we will strip the door and stain it. We have it mostly figured out now! Can I have some ideas on landscaping and paint for all the trim?

Comments (17)

• Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    *The second photo (winter) is an older version of the house which is why the upper window is different
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

Can you identify any of the shrub species and what is the vine?

• Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    emmarenne- We don't close on the house until the 3rd of October so I haven't had enough of a chance to see what types of shrubbery/trees we have. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Jane- Great suggestions! I do not know that much about gardening but are the trees and bushes too overgrown to be saved at the point they are at? I would love to keep them, especially the tree in the right hand corner.
    Thank you for the paint suggestion, I love that!
    One more thing, why do you suggest brick veneer versus real brick?
  • PRO
    Jane Owen Interior Design
    7 years ago

Veneer vs. real. Only for the porch top and stair risers and steps; otherwise, you would have to tear out the existing concrete porch and steps. The sidewalk would be solid brick or the edging depending on what you choose, because you only have to remove grass and some dirt to install. Of course, you would want the veneer and brick color to match and that is doable.

And I would SAVE the existing trees and bushes. I believe the one to the right corner is a Blue Spruce. I cannot see the other bushes, from the picture, well enough to tell what they are - possibly Azaleas? Do you know if they flower? A good landscaper could certainly trim these bushes and save them. They are full and look very healthy and I would not tear them out.

So pleased that you like the paint suggestion. It is a really pretty blue. If you have a Sherwin-Williams paint store near you, go get a sample chip. You can also get a pint of paint in your choice of color for about $6. Ask for a 'paint sample' board, paint the board giving it two coats of paint, then take it outside to check the color and see how you like it for the new trim.

I personally love the blue and white scheme. Nothing is more classic. If I can help further, do not hesitate to contact me.

Jane

• User
    7 years ago

Pictures aren't high enough quality to determine the species (particularly on my phone!). I suspect that it isn't a blue spruce, however. if it were to be, it's rather close to the house. We have a mature spruce in our front, they get tall and spread wide. One on right looks more like an Alberta spruce or perhaps an arborvitae or something, but can't entirely tell. I don't think those are azalea either on the left, but can't make out lead shape or detail to tell.

regardless: though a little over grown they're not "gone". I would identify the species then when it's best to prune. You can gradually cut back over grown shrubs, depending on species you may be able to do a harder cut.

I would fill out withsome additional perennials and annuals. Plan to plant so you have ones that cover all seasons to give you a pop of color.

i like the blue gray color but would agree a slightly darker shade may look a little better.

if time and budget are on your side you could replace the walk with stone.

• User
    7 years ago

Here is an ex of stone referred in my post above:

• User
    7 years ago

Another example.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

I like the landscaping on the right and think it can be whipped into shape. I believe the shrub on the left corner will have to be removed. Since you know little of landscaping you are perhaps not an avid gardener. I can't imagine you would want to take the time to constantly be trimming the shrub which clearly wants to grow to a much larger size. Also, some evergreens cannot recover from a hard pruning. That is why I asked if you knew their identity.

I'm very curious about the piece above the door. How rusted is it?

• Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    photoninja- thanks for the ideas! When we actually have full access to the house I will do some investigating and take some better photos of the current bushes and trees. Great walkway and step pictures! I think we will definitely find it in our budget to upgrade the stairs and walkway, it's nice for a Tudor house to have some brick or stone tied in for sure.
  • Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    **** Unfortunately I can't edit my original post but I forgot to mention that it would be considered a full shade area. Which I think is challenging!

Also one more big point, I did not mention in this post that in October we are tearing off all the stucco because it had tons of moisture behind it and was sloughing off and we are replacing it. I haven't spoken with the stucco people but I am thinking that the big tree on the left would have to be taken down anyways or cut back considerably so they can get access to the stucco and also to let it dry properly.
  • Helen Weigelt
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    emmarenne- Honestly, I have been to the house a couple times and even though I did not know much about gardening all the bushes and trees looked like evergreen types to me, which would make sense since it a full shade area.

Oh yes! The archway. The columns are were originally wood, which were then covered in metal. the wood is rotting on the inside and the metal is dented in a few places and rusting on the areas closest to the house.
    The actual archway is painted metal, no wood but it is has the same problems, dented and rust eating holes in it.
    I really like the look of it and I am really hoping our carpenter can replicate it! plus tie in that overhang I want too.
  • Sandybean
    7 years ago
    I think a really dark grey would look great or even a deep red. As for the landscape, I think you have no choice but to take out all the bushes but maybe leave the tree, which looks to be a Dwarf Alberta spruce (just keep it trimmed to that size). If that is ivy, I would recommend getting rid of it. It can take over and ruin your stucco. Maybe plant some Nandina in place of bushes on right along with smaller perennials in front, and a nice hydrangea on the left.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

You might Google "Great Big Canvas" and check out their art work offerings. Prices are good, as well.

• flopsycat1
    7 years ago

Don't know anything about bushes, but I love the colors of your new home in the winter photo. Maybe it's just the lighting or the time of day, but the cream color stucco and dark grey trim looks perfect to me. We all love you house!

• PRO
    7 years ago

Helen, when you get access to your new home, please let us know what you decide. Thanks.