Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kessmi00

My house has no curb appeal, and is the ugliest house on the block!

mk
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I live in Florida by the water, in a cute older neighborhood with mostly mid-century modern style bungalows. My house was remodeled though back in early 2002, and the former owners went a totally different direction. Although the house is great on the inside - it's the outside that causes me distress. I need to repaint, but that's not going to help the dreary, ugly and bare facade. I'm at a loss - that even once I'm done with the landscaping, the house will have any curb appeal at all. My current idea is to have the house painted a light color, gray or an off-white. Landscaping will be zero-space with primarily rock covering on the ground, large square stepping stones around the sliding doors, and large Agave. Will probably remove a couple of the smaller Palm trees. At the front of the house - behind the short fence next to the drive way, is the a/c unit, and water filtration unti. I didn't move it to the side of the house (where it should have been installed in the first place) because it was way too expensive. So, how to give the wide open expanse of the front of the house some appeal? How to hide or better camouflage the a/c unit? Front door is inside the carport area. Suggestions are welcome as I'm at a loss.

Comments (12)

• jck910
    7 years ago

Post a picture of the house

mk thanked jck910
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Can you re-focus things by changing the sliders to be your main front entry instead of under the carport?

• mk
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it's a bedroom, so would be kind of difficult. also, cant see it in the photo, but there is a setback on the left side of the house with another slider to another bedroom. Inside is all open concept except for the bedrooms/bathrooms. Although I would prefer to have the bedrooms at the back of the house, it would require major reno to do that, move bathrooms etc.

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

Since your a/c unit has to stay where it is, how about making your fence a point of architectural interest instead of utilitarian? I think a woven horizontal fence stained a complimentary color to your paint would add some interest.

You could add some modern landscaping in front of it and possibly add a piece of modern iron wall art to the top facade.

mk thanked katinparadise
  • meganlarive
    7 years ago

I think this is your best option and if you do this also consider adding a more complex and perhaps curved garden along your driveway all the way to the side of your house I'd recommend a very small tree (fruit if you don't mind pruning, or the rarely seen Irish strawberry tree - arbutus unedo which has small white/pink bluebell flowers and colorful berries almost year round that atract birds and make a lovely jam, it does grow into a sizeable 20ft with a shrub like growth habit but you can easily trim into a regular tree like cape mertles) near the middle of the fence as well as small shrubs and flowers.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

What about building a courtyard around each slider so the bedrooms have a private outdoor space. Then imitate the courtyards with the same treatment around the utility space in front. Can the carport be reworked or even removed to build another courtyard that directs one to the entry?

mk thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    7 years ago

This front yard has lots of potential for
    curb appeal, here's a few suggestions.

• White exterior walls with a contrasting trim would look good
      and yes, choose a more decorative fence in a neutral color. Rather than
      see it as a problem, use the fence as support for a pretty flowering vine
      such as Sky-blue cluster vine (Jacquemontia
      pentanthos)
      which has blue flowers.
    • For the path to the sliding doors, install a similar paver as
      the driveway because this will unite the two distinct areas (garden and
      driveway). I agree a small patio area outside the sliding doors is a good
      idea. Paver restraint edging will keep the pavers in place, here's an
      example.
    • An attractive garden is a focal point and draws attention away
      from the facade of the house. You mentioned you were going to use rocks on
      the surface - choose several types of pebbles and rocks to create
      interesting texture and a subtle color scheme.

• Amongst the pebbles and rocks, plant a mix grasses and
      flowering perennials. Select plants that are indigenous to Florida because these plants require less
      water and fertilizer. They also provide habitat for birds and insects. For
      example, Blue Eyed grass (Sisyrinchium
      angustifolium) is a
      low-growing, drought resistant, native grass. It grows about 1' high and 2'
      wide and attracts butterflies. Another
      option is Tampa Verbain (Glandularia Tamoensis) this native
      plant has pink flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

Install garden edging to keep the pebbles in place and stop
    them spilling onto the path and driveway. This aluminum edging is
    flexible, useful for curved or straight edges. The low profile design
    suits the minimalist style of your house, click here to see some examples.

mk thanked Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
  • Mia Brown
    3 years ago

Growing some heirloom and organic seeds such as flowers, herbs, vegetables and fruits can bring a curb appeal to the house. https://www.seedmania.com.au/

• Sally W
    3 years ago

Do what Ital recommends!

• Peter Barnard
    3 years ago

I agree - stark white. I’d recommend a landscaper or landscape architect specializing in low water landscapes. You have some scale/balance problems and need to work with the asymmetry to make it look good - not an easy proposition for a homeowner.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Old post from 2016