Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joker514

Small backyard bisected by raised patio

joker514
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

I have a backyard that's about 20x20' between the home and the detached garage. There is a raised patio (single step above the grass) that runs the length of the house that is approximately 5' wide. I'm unsure what to do with the grassy area to maximize the space. Ideally, I'd love it if the whole space (the patio + grass area) was the same level to maximize the space, but I'm not sure if there is anyway to do it well and affordably. The only thing I've thought of is perhaps a floating deck. Would love any suggestions. The grass is approx 16'x13.5'.

Ideally, I want to have a seating area (like a couch), a fire table, dining space and a place for a grill - which is a lot - hence not wanting to lose any space due to that patio....

My neighbor, who has very similar backyard, opted for pavers so now her patio is kind of dead space.

Here is the backyard in sketchup. The top is the little sidewalk to the garage. The top right is the house with the main door and sliding glass door. Grass in the photo above goes from sidewalk to the bottom edge of the patio and then there is mulch running the whole bottom part and side of the house. Appreciate any help!

Comments (7)

• Paul F.
    16 days ago

That is a broken link. I would add pictures and the sketchup layout here for the best response.

• joker514
    Original Author
    16 days ago

The link worked fine when I was creating it. Fixed it. Thanks!

• millworkman
    16 days ago

Can you back up and give us a view of the entire backyard?

• arcy_gw
    16 days ago

Your pics and description are not making your set up clear. Yes please take pictures from farther back. Off the top of my head I would say adding a wood deck just equals maintenance. I would look into a flower bedding area so it's an area you aren't walking on anyway then it's height doesn't matter.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

IMO a floating deck would be perfect for the whole space 5' is not even big enough to place a chair . I would do the floating deck to also include the walk to the garage. I need to see a to scale plan of this area with the gara ge and the house noted what spaces from the house are next to this all meausrements clearly marked . BTW I love floating decks they jusy make sense often use fake wood for decking lasts forever nut much maintenace . I do not love concrete usually for out door space Then add big pots of plants an umbrella and a propane fire pit. I think you should have ebnough space for all the stuff you want.

• joker514
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Looking at the sketchup, the photo is from the top right door (near the sketchup creeper) looking down toward the bottom . There isn't anything more to really see.. The 5' patio is one step up from the yard / sidewalk that goes to the garage door (~6").

The other thing I started looking into was whether a paver patio might be a better option. I haven't priced that out though yet. I saw you usually have to dig down quite a bit, but with the step from the patio, it would certainly be quite a bit easier to do.

The whole space of the backyard from garage to house is ~18.5' and it's about 20' from fence to fence.

• millworkman
    12 days ago

" Looking at the sketchup, the photo is from the top right door (near the sketchup creeper) looking down toward the bottom . There isn't anything more to really see. "

Except how it looks in real life, not a SketchUp view that does not tell the story.