Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malsh_k

Where and how do you store your Onions, Potatoes & Garlic

Dream
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm thinking it should be around the prep area in a cabinet next to prep sink. Or should I store in the pantry if the pantry is only 5-6 feet from the prep area?

Where do you store yours? Trying to get a feel for what everyone's doing.

TIA

Comments (14)

• H B
    7 years ago

Potatoes should be stored in the dark; on the cool side is better for potatoes and onions.

• tackykat
    7 years ago

Do not store onions and potatoes near each other. They will hasten each other's spoilage.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

People say this on the internet all the time, tackykat, but my mom always had the bins for each near the other and so do I and we don't have stuff spoiling any faster than it would on its own. I suppose if you kept them for months and months it might make a difference but even on my own I get through a whole bag of onions in less than a month, so…

I've experimented with keeping them in separate cabinets and I would say that the handling they've had in the store has much more influence on that than how closely together they are stored.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I think in separate bins is fine but if you put onions and potatoes together in the same bin it most definitely makes a difference. I have had the hardest time trying to get my husband to understand this and stop putting them all mixed in together. I have a set wire baskets that go in a rack each goes in a different basket. I keep garlic in the freezer. Easy to peel and very fresh last for a long time. Now I am going to have a walk in pantry and my baskets will go in there on the bottom shelf.

• User
    7 years ago

In my lazy susan.

• Patti
    7 years ago

ravencajun, my husband is the same. I store them in separate bins, one behind the other on the bottom pull out in the pantry. I put onions and garlic in one and potatoes in the other. He comes along and puts any or both in the front bin. We've been married 40 years, so I don't think it's gonna change.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Yes, store the onions and potatoes separately. They can be in the same room, just not near each other.

• lindsaymarie79
    7 years ago

I would keep the onions and garlic near the prep area if possible but the potatoes can go in the pantry. When I am cooking well, I use onions and garlic almost daily but potatoes only once or twice a week.

Dream thanked lindsaymarie79
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

For garlic, I get the frozen mashed Dorot garlic cubes from Trader Joe's. Love them.

• Dream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. We go through lot of onion and garlic so I'll store them on the island and the potatoes will be in the pantry along with other canned goods etc.

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

I store potatoes in my walkin pantry about 5 ft from prep area. Onions are stored in thie veggie bin of the fridge, it keeps them fresh much longer than in the pantry.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I keep potatoes in a giant bowl on the counter, in a darkish area at least. Garlic is in another bowl and onions in the crisper. they last much longer for me that way

I like to see my potatoes and use them fairly quickly. One rotten potato in a dark cupboard was enough to switch to countertop! No pantry, boo hoo.

• lana_roma
    7 years ago

I store the entire harvest of garlic and onions from my backyard in the cool garage. I keep only a small amount in nice ceramic trays on the countertop near the main prep area in my kitchen. I dislike supermarket onions and garlic because they tend to start rotting or shriveling in storage. The onions I harvest never seem to rot and my garlic stores excellently for two years, at least.

I don't grow potatoes, so I don't have a ton to store until the next harvest. The 10lbs bag I bring from the supermarket goes into a lower cabinet in the kitchen - I make sure to keep my potatoes in a dark place. No spoilage since I go through them quickly.