Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdp0430

Curb Appeal: Need help with Exterior

mdp0430
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Exterior Ideas · More Info

We're currently trying to devise a concept for our exterior.

We are adding a garage and a master suite above the garage and tying both into the existing structure. We also plan on adding a canopy above the front door, supported by vertical posts. We live in a area that is mostly colonial-type houses (George Washington camped just down the street). We'd like to add some colonial aspects to our house, but understand that it will always be a 1950's split-level house.

I was considering refacing the entire front of the house in stone and using black shutters (or maybe no shutters at all). Any ideas what would work for a front door? My wife seems to lean towards dark brown, Craftsman style front doors.

Right now the house is the worst house in the neighborhood, LOL! Please help!

Comments (19)

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I assume that you have used an architect for the addition? Is the garage going in front of the existing house? Covering Windows? The architect should advise you on the new door covering, too.

It would help a lot if you could post pics of the new front elevation. In addition, what will the exterior be? Are you changing it up in order to blend the new with the old?

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

If its a quasi-colonial style split level, its best not to further confuse it with other architectural elements (eg craftsman) Ill let someone else speak to colonial style bc we dont have much of that round these parts.

Once again with these red brick "issues," I honestly do not think its the brick thats the problem - its the ubiquitous stark white trim/doors that people insist on putting everywhere and on every house, whether its really a good color choice or not. People think of white as a non-color, but really.... for design purposes it is. Next the earthier reds of brick, stark white can look very harsh.

If those elements were painted or changed to a dark brownish-charcoal or some other color or at least a darker, beigier "aged" white - all elements would be working together more harmoniously and consequently the entire effect would be more attractive.

Its a very handsome house IMHO and I wouldnt rush to add other new elements to it unless it was part of a clearly thought out, wholistic design incorporating the new addition. Whats the addition going to be, same brick? If the existing brick is old it can be hard to find brick to match exactly. BTW what is that roof - does not seem to be shingles? Will it stay that same color?

PS saw recently a vintage red brick house that had trim/doors/accents in dark inky blue and yellowy cream and it was just exquisite. Basically it was the classic triad of primary colors (red, blue, yellow) but in very well chosen colors that worked well together - cant just grab any old blue and yellow, has to work well with the brick. BTW its worth looking at classic color theory - either choosing within same color family or look at whats across the color wheel from your existing color. HTH!

• roarah
    7 years ago

Can you show your addition plans here so we can get a better idea as to what you are doing? I think I see a foundation on the right but am having a hard time envisioning the final outcome.

is this like your addition?

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any additional thoughts after posting the front elevation? Should I perhaps post in a different forum? Thanks!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    7 years ago

Did you try it with a window the same as the others in the master? To me, the two small windows look odd, almost an afterthought? I understand an architect is $$ you feel you don't have but....you are spending a chunk of change on this addition and they can help get maximum bang for your buck and perhaps offer some cost saving ideas. You don't want to get done with this and have regrets.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Not architect nor designer but I think a big chunk of white vinyl in the front is going to be unsightly.

Perhaps the Windows need a different shape? They do look small and I think it is going to scream addition.

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    7 years ago

RN, in my area an architect costs $8,500 for this project. That's about 1/3 of the cost for the entire project, so no architect. I can make those windows larger, but I don't want double windows like the center of the house because it want to make the addition subservient to the main house.

Hockey, I think I agree with you! I can do stone up in that area as well, I just have to add support for that weight - which is no problem. Thanks!

Also keep in mind that most of that white trim you see will be removed when the front is resurfaced with brick or stone and most likely trimmed with contrasting (but complementary) brick or stone...

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Sounds good :) could you maybe keep the window single size but a bit longer to match the length of the others?

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

Your new house has a lot of potential. Adding a garage and some new MBR space will really enhance value I'm sure. Agree your 2 windows look too small (like eyes) so do look at making them more in scale with the existing windows in length at least.

I wouldn't replace the brick, but would definitely look at using a siding color that coordinates with the mortar or the brick itself. Not white. Even if you have to replace the siding on the sides of the house, spend your money there.

Are you also removing the wrought iron railing when you re-do the front entry? Any plans for new steps to replace the existing entry? If you have a good brick/stone mason you could have them design a new set of steps that is more expansive and rounded and would taper down to the driveway and allow elimination of the railing.

• EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

My thought is considering how you might be able to break up the roofline a little, while also keeping the main part of the house the focal point, as you mentioned. I like the plan to add to the front door. Will the front elevation of the addition be flush with the house, or are you planning for it to slightly recede or sit in front of the house at all?

Do you have enough room to shift your addition forward to create more of an L shape? I'm sure a lot of that also depends on where you are routing your plumbing, etc. for master bath.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

here they are side x side. I couldn't get a good sense scrolling back and forth. Maybe this will help others, too.

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

I would give the master BR a brick facade also, and use one window the same size as the other windows on the front instead of two. I like the little roof over the garage door. Will it be a double or single?. A nice porch and rounded steps with maybe bricks on the treads would look very elegant. Of course some simple landscaping will help the curb appeal also. I'm glad you found a house in the area you like. It makes for a happy home!

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

You could make a nice porch with rounded stairs coming down to a beautiful patio/garden in the area in front of the two lower Windows. Move the driveway over to the new garage of course, then move some dirt and fill in that area with grass and some low plantings around the patio. Maybe you need the extra parking and plan to leave the driveway as is, but at least curve it to the right about 50' before you get to the house. Then fill in the removed paved area with grass and plantings. The curved driveway and curved stairs will soften the straight lines of your home.

• mdp0430
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the idea of the rounded porch to soften all the straight lines. The more I look at it, the more I like the two separate windows that "look like eyes." I think doing a double window looks odd. What do you think? Please forgive my lack of artistic ability!

Thanks!

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I think that looks better. I think the Windows should be as close in size to the others as possible!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

That last drawing looks like you figured out something that will look wonderful!

• EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

I do like the two windows, but if you are planning on shutters, I think I like a single window better. There are so many ways to divide and group windows, I think you can do one or two windows, it just depends on the type of windows you choose.

• EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

I like the way you drew the roof over the garage in your sketch, too. It gives me a better perspective of the proportions. The only thing I'm still wondering about is with the new roof right next to the main body of the house, it's quite a long line of the same roof. My first thought was a dormer on the addition, which I think would look good, but you made the point earlier that front door is on the other side of the house, and not wanting to compete with that, so I go back and forth. And I don't know about the middle of the house sandwiched between two peaks.

Maybe there's a way with landscaping, or by adding something to the facade of the middle of the house, that would give the middle a little more dimension and break up the long lines? Although, sometimes it seems the better approach is to go with the horizontal lines and build on them, in which case the windows in the middle would look less split level and better proportioned to the length of the whole house if they were wider.