Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sek518

Tips of leaves turning brown- How to stop this?

Hi, I recently received an air plant as a gift and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I looked up how to care for it and the tip I got was to submerge it in water once a week for an hour, then get the water out from between the leaves with a paper towel to keep it from rotting, plus misting if it looks like it needs more water during the week. I've been doing this, but the tips of some of the leaves are turning brown, and I don't know how to stop it from happening. I've never cared for an air plant before so I was wondering if any of you have tips? Also if someone could identify the species it would be helpful :) Here are some pictures:

Comments (10)

• Samantha K (New England, 6b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! I'll try watering it more often and see if that helps.

• raxidor
    7 years ago

The plant looks weak, I think it needs more light and fresh air. I personally never dunk my plants in water, I just mist them according to the weather - daily if it's hot and once per few days if it gets bad.
    Tillandsias are slow growers, it will take few weeks or months to see any positive change.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, thanks! How much light do they generally like? I can put it in the window if that helps.

• raxidor
    7 years ago

This one looks like normal t. ionantha, so a lot of diffused light or some direct sunlight over the day. East or west windowsill are probably best.

Samantha K (New England, 6b) thanked raxidor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! My window faces northwest so that would be perfect.

• debbyabq
    7 years ago

Northwest should be okay, and if it begins to get cold near the window, or you get a lot of cloudy days, you can put the plant (and any other Tillandsias you acquire) under a grow light if you happen to have one of those. I have a lot of Tillandsias under grow lights, consisting of a regular "grow light" fluorescent and a cool-white fluorescent. I read about how that balances out the light. Mostly I simply mist the plants, only soaking any of them when they seem to be drier than they should be. I soak Spanish Moss more often, but tectorum almost never, and the others maybe once a week or less often (I do live in a usually dry climate).

Samantha K (New England, 6b) thanked debbyabq
  • debbyabq
    7 years ago

Oh, and your ionantha reminds me of an Ionantha Guatemala.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much! I have a lamp over there because my succulents need as much light as I can get them, but it's just a regular gooseneck lamp, not a special one... Do you have any recommendations for a better one? The one I have maxes out at 60W.

• debbyabq
    7 years ago

I've been looking into lights at Amazon and similar places, mainly because I don't want to take a long bus ride to the nearest Walmart or similar store. I note that grow lights now come in all shapes and sizes, including shapes and sizes that can be put in regular light fixtures like old-fashion light bulbs. You would want to make sure that any unusual bulb didn't stress or overheat your lamp. Currently I use fixtures (often called under cabinet light fixtures) with 2-foot long bulbs, and I have one elderly (+20 years old) shop light with 4-foot long bulbs. In both cases a mix of cool white and "grow-light" bulbs. You can also find info on YouTube, searching "grow lights". One video talked about those new lights with red/green/blue bulbs, testing them vs fluorescent grow lights. Poster wasn't impressed with the fancy lights... Anyhow, there is a lot of info out there so you can make an informed choice :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting