Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyeondesignme

Having trouble deciding how to design and decorate many parts of the house, but I'll start with the stairs

eyeondesignme
11 years ago
I'd like to faux, or paint the walls. And art, make it unique. I'll take more ics when I can.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    First eliminate everything except the two chairs and the table and center them in the wall space. Secondly, find a tall piece of art to place up on the stair wall, second level. You then can take a look at the 1st level stair wall to decide if you want to pull a much smaller piece there.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I think you need more color on the walls. What is the furniture/color/style in the LR? Oh..I think the fabulous chandelier in the stairwell, that can be seen from anywhere downstairs will make a great feature and conversation starter...like...ahhh. what a great chandelier. I love it!
    Modern Staircase · More Info
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    I am with darzy but I hope that you have the budget for the chandelier other wise do like what darzy suggested with what you have faux finish paint will look nice
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    Here is a similar staircase and beautiful wall color
  • lastplace
    11 years ago
    love the chandelier idea. Do you really need a seating area there?
  • eyeondesignme
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really appreciate all of the comments, as I've never posted anything like this. . I will post more of the whole room tomorrow so that the bigger picture can be seen. I like the ideas I'm receiving. Thank you!
  • Dan Daugherty
    11 years ago
    Imagine a very large custom created Wall sculpture on the upper stair wall... Maybe not like this one, but Unique is always fun and interesting. The lights change like the one in the video.

• PRO
    Art Iron Works Inc.
    11 years ago
    Dramatic but effectively. Changing the staircase design
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Look forward to your photos. Some ideas --
    urban green · More Info

Contemporary Staircase · More Info

Apple Farm · More Info

Pandan Valley Condo · More Info
  • PRO
    Foxy Fauxs
    11 years ago
    Here is a simple faux finish done on a similar staircase - a faux finish can really help a space have a sense of belonging and create a beautiful background for art, photos, or furniture. I would stay somewhat neutral in color since the stairs are between rooms. I also agree with moving the vase to the middle of the staircase to draw your eye upward. Another idea is to have a design painted in that area that flows up the stairs - examples included.
  • PRO
    Foxy Fauxs
    11 years ago
    One final idea is to use a damask stencil in a subtle application (slight shade difference from wall color).
  • User
    11 years ago
    I agree with Keitha's pic 100%. Paint those walls! Great find : )
  • printesa
    11 years ago
    I agree with Karen. Remove the mirror and the tall pot and center the chairs and table. You can always have on the table fresh flowers. On the wall I would have a tall painting.
  • PRO
    Holly Anderson Fine Art
    11 years ago
    I always suggest a painting in the stairway. I build mine custom out of deep profile masonite. my art is collected around the world and is reasonably priced. I am happy to build whatever size you like and work with your color pallette. i specialize in modern, contemporary & abstracts i also have a huge network of artists i can refer you to if you do not care for my style. Your space is beautiful and original art will enrich the space greatly.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/holly-anderson.html?page=1
  • eyeondesignme
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some more pics from the area! We are leaning more toward the faux finish on the walls, with some creative decor or artwork to finish it. We need seating down stairs, it's a billards/living room. 30 plus year old shuffleboard table in another room. Traditional, but fun. If that makes sense!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    To Eye:...and all this time you were holding the trump card. What a hoot! I'll have to add this to my "A Different Drum Beat" Idea Book. I still would move everything except the two chairs and the table on that foyer wall. You could also nestle a small piece of art on that wall over the table. As for photo #2, I'm not enamored with two pieces of art same size across from one another. I would prefer a vertical piece of art over the credenza that is at least as tall as your front door frame. Also the two chairs and table opposite the credenza are taking up too much space, as they are really looking like sardines. Are the smaller chairs on the stair wall tall enough to comfortably accommodate your game table (seat height)? If so, I would suggest trying the larger chairs on either side of your little round table. The larger chairs might actually be more comfortable for billiards players to cool their heels while waiting for the next play. You might also want to post a photo of the area with your back to the front door.

As for what to do with the foyer walls I think a European plaster look could tie in well with the furnishings and oriental rug.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Martha O'Hare did this foyer with Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory. I very much like the simplicity of the texture. It's just enough to make a statement without being a distraction.
    Merilane Avenue Residence 2 Foyer · More Info
  • PRO
    Foxy Fauxs
    11 years ago
    The photo karen posted would be perfect!:) It is subtle, but just enough. I would go just a little warmer with the color for your space. Maybe pick out the lightest tone from your flooring.

And if you do not want to go with a texture, you can still get a similar look from glazing. (like the first photo I posted of the grey glazed staircase - just modify it to your color palate.) Here is another example of a glaze finish...