Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_patterson

Kitchen layout in new house issue.

7 years ago

We are working with very small kitchen layout. Tore out a wall to get more space but aren't sure in how to layout a kitchen to make it bigger. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

This is what we are working with. And this is after we moved a few cabinets and the fridge just to see if it would work.
This is the entire space. We removed a wall and put up a beam that will eventually be covered in bar wood Not sure where to put the fridge and how to expand cabinet space without any other major renovation (not moving windows or doors)

Comments (10)

• 7 years ago

Now you need to post a layout of this space and the spaces around it for our layout gurus to give you great ideas. I can see those doors are going to be a design challenge, but I'm sure they can be worked around. It's going to be a great space.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Dear Sam,

I
    think you now realize you should have worked this out on paper...before you
    started ripping your home apart. Real life is nothing like what we see on TV.

You
    can't renovate a kitchen on the fly without kitchen interior design orconstruction drawings, and expect it to turn out well. It is a construction
    project involving multiple trades people to get the work done properly
    according to local building codes.

Even
    if you do the work yourself you should apply for, and acquire the proper
    permits and get your work inspected.

What
    they don't show you on TV is the tremendous amount of preliminary work done,
    and all the time it takes to complete - ahead of time - that goes into the 60
    minutes of sound bites they actually show you.

They
    do home improvement enthusiasts a huge disservice by leading viewers to believe
    they can pull an idea from the ether, just by walking through the space. Then
    get right to work by taking a sledge hammer and start demolishing walls.

"Isn't
    This Great With That Wall Gone!"

So
    you can save some money by helping out and complete your renovation in a matter
    of days or weeks. Without a completed set of building construction documents or
    help from anyone but the shows celebrity host(s).

They
    don't show all of the planning, design work, and drafting of the construction
    documents that are produced by architects and designers they use on the show
    behind the scenes.

To
    get the necessary building permits to begin the work, pass the numerous
    inspections required to build to local codes, and when completed acquire a
    certificate of occupancy. So you can actually live in your home after the
    renovation is completed and you have passed all of your inspections.

It's
    not your fault and I think you're brave to admit to being in such a predicament.
    Hopefully sharing your experience will save many of us from making the same
    mistakes.

If
    you'd like help here, you'll have to post a floor plan of your existing
    conditions contributors can work from. You'll get better results if you include
    adjacent rooms to the kitchen so your kitchen can be seen in context to the
    other rooms in your home it serves. Also, appliances you’d like to use for space
    planning purposes.

If
    you don't have plans you should post a rough sketch with accurate dimensions to
    work from.

If you need it...attached
    is a kitchen plan measurement example with dimensions and helpful hints to help
    you dimension your rough sketch.

• 7 years ago

You need to show where the windows and doors in the expanded space. Can the hook ups for the sink and stove be moved (is stove electric or gas and is it on a raised or slab foundation?) is this a one story house? Are these rooms on the front side or back? What is through the white double doors? And the brown single door?

• 7 years ago

Hi Sam,

i recognize your name from the following thread, http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4230987/dream-kitchen-dilemma

In that post you ask for help, but with a kitchen that you've just finished remodeling and you've just realized you have no place to sit. A kitchen remodel is huge and requires a lot of thought about exactly what you expect out of the resulting space. It is a major oversight to complete a kitchen reno and not have a comfortable place to sit while the cook is working, especially if that's something if that's something you specifically want.

Now, in this kitchen, you have torn out a wall without a plan. Having a list of expectations for your finished kitchen is the first step and it's apparently one you missed on your dream kitchen. Whatever this kitchen is to you, I would suggest figuring out how you want it to function. Coming here is a good step, but if you actually want the help of the talented designers on this site, and not a few random ideas thrown at you, communicate those needs in your post, and DEFINITELY post a layout of the entire floor with measurements.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ok people. Number one I just wanted ideas on what could be done. This is not our gouse, it is a friends house. The stove literally wouldnt open unless you opened the fridge to make room. So if you think we went into this with no idea of what we are doing, you're wrong. We torn down a half wall and started moving the cabinets around just to get an idea of what would be the best way to maximize the space and layout. We do not need permits or inspections where they live.

In regards to my kitchen Reno in previous posts. I went into it knowing there wasn't room for an island or a table. We have a separate dining room so it was not an oversight or simple inexperience...I was looking for ideas for skinny tables and If people would think it was even worth it to add. We tore our whole kitchen apart, knocked down walls, put in a steel beam, ordered custom cabinets, flooring, appliances, LEDs and did everything on our own.

we built, added and attached a 34x30 garage, ripped our entire roof off and relayed everything all on our own. To say we don't know what goes into a renovation is a severe miscalculation on your part. I apologize if you feel that someone needs to be hired for every part of a Reno because that just isn't the case.

For those that want to be helpful, the brown door goes in to the garage. The double doors lead to the outside patio. There are no gas lines that need moved the only issue would be the water lines. They would like the sink to stay where it is

This is a photo of the adjoining room (living room). and there is also a hallway to the right of these rooms.
    That is a view of the kitchen from the livng room. I'll take random ideas thrown at me. They aren't looking to do an entire kitche design/overhaul. The kitchen area now is basically less than 8x8. They are looking for simple solutions. This is their first home

• 7 years ago

I'm not suggesting that only a licensed contractor can do a remodel. We're DIYing a lot of ours, including framing (not electrical or drywall). What I *am* saying, however bluntly, is that you will get the best, most usable, and simply *most* help if you share as much information as possible. If you're an experienced DIY remodeler, you are probably adept with home design software and could easily and quickly come up with a simple floor plan of walls, doors, windows and plumbing. Even a handwritten layout would help.

Sorry about the tone of my previous post. :(

• 7 years ago

I would consider cabinets along the garage door wall. That kitchen desperately needs some storage. This could either be all pantry or uppers and lowers with counter space. A broom closet in that location might be useful.

• 7 years ago
  • 7 years ago

Thanks guys! I wish I had the measurements and layout but it's not our house so I don't have anything like that. I agree with the suggestion of fridge and cabinets on wall between garage and living room. That was basically the only other idea we had except moving the fridge to where it is in the picture(there were originally cabinets there but we took them down to see how Fridge would look)