Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skicounselor

Need advice for our newly remodeled room.

skicounselor
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We knocked down the wall in our traditional home between the living and family room to make one large room for entertaining. We love the space! I need advice on a few things. 1. The round cloth skirted table-suggestions for arrangements on table. 2. The stone table to the left of love seat-should I put a lamp? It's dark in the corner at night. What kind of lamp? How tall? Should I put artwork on the wall behind the table?
3. I was planning on hanging drapes. I was going to put iron rods at ceiling height, but unsure of drape fabric. Linen? Sheer? I know I want neutral color, so I don't have to redo. I sew well enough to make myself. I was thinking an inverted pleat. 4. Reading lamps by small chairs (on shaggy rug). I love the ones on Circa,(antique bronze) but $300 is out of my budget for one lamp. My color scheme is brown tones, with accents of aqua and a few touches of lime green. There is a burnt orange chair in the far part of the room, for interest.
Any other help is appreciated! Nanci

Comments (48)

• skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The third picture over with the giant chair, is before remodel. Please ignore. The site doesn't seem to be allowing me to delete it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Lovely job you're doing. Personally, I would eliminate the skirted table - very 80's and out of style right now. We always expect that if we raised the skirt we'd find a cardboard or plywood substitute for a table, so it spoils the effect of your lovely pieces. The other out-of-place and out-of-decade pieces are the two fat-armed leather sofas. That one side of the space seems to be completely out of tune with the rest of your new room. Looks like you might have one or two armless or slipper chairs that we can't see. I think there is a lot of potential here, but you're missing it. Start with the FP and remove the tall pieces flanking the TV. Try them on the hearth instead. Move the small round table and two chairs down by the stairs where the big chair was prior to remodeling. Pull the leather sofas out in front of the FP, facing each other with front feet on the rug, Really need a photo taken from the FP looking back to the stairs. It appears you have a table or something in the foreground of pic #4 (second posting) that needs to be considered. That piece might go where the skirted table was, but can't see all I need to. Please attache more images. We'll get it figured out. Thanks.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have attached more photos. The area where the giant chair was now has the armless chair and the hardwood furniture. You can also see the chairs in the part of the room with the shaggy carpet. Funny about the skirted table...I did most of the room on my own, except for that which a decorator told me to do. I also feel the sofas are out of synch with the rest of the room, but we can't replace due to cost. Interested to hear your take on furniture placement now that you can see the rest of the area.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the pics. The wall by the stairs needs some help. Hang the mirror vertically above the sofa table piece with the two lamps. Move the lamps toward the inside edges of the mirror for a layered effect, adding the photos from the skirted table to it. Find some shorter harps for the lamps to lower the shades a bit. Would replace the stark white shades with something neutral or a pop of the blue accent in the vase and your pot on the coffee table. I think that blue needs to be spread around a bit more. Put the smaller chest that is under the mirror where your skirted table is. This will open the passage to the stairs and door. Angle the armless chairs to flank the chest between the windows so the conversation grouping is more intimate. Pull the coffee table so it is 18" from the sofa. I can't see the chair behind the sofa by the stairs but I think it will work there by the round glass and metal table on the corner of the rug. Take the table that is by the FP and basket to the wall on the right, where the other slipper chair was. Put the round table and two straight chairs in that corner. Move the hassock and basket by the left FP window. Try these ideas out, take more pics and let's see how it feels to you. If this is not clear, ask. I re-read and realized I made assumptions you'd get my drift.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much for all your feedback. I'm going to play around with some of the moves and then will post pictures. I've attached a shot of the burnt orange chair by the stairs, so you can see it better.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wong photo! Hopefully this is the right one.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    The burnt orange works well with the blue accent. Hope my moving directions weren't too confusing. Anxious to see your results and we can tweak from there!
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco-I tried moving the armless chairs on the shaggy carpet in front of the windows, but there wasn't room for the one on the right window, due to the settee. I also tried putting the orange chair in front of that window, but again it looked smashed with the settee. I moved the couch as directed, so they faced one another, but it blocks the entrance into the room. I tried the love seat and it was just as bad. You had mentioned to move the large buffet to the back wall and move the small wooden piece to where the skirted table is now. I will give that a try today. My confusion is that you suggested I move the round game table to that same back wall, which will definitely not fit. In fact the game table and chairs won't fit there even by themselves. I don't mean to shoot all your ideas down as I like how you're helping me to think outside the box. Please don't give up on me...I'd love to hear more suggestions!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I told you my directions were confusing! lol No worries! Leave the armless chairs where they are but put all of their feet on the shaggy rug - that way you're making a more intimate grouping. I switched gears on you with the round table and chairs once I saw the back of the sofa and the stair area. Just do the sofa table, mirror, lamp thing there by the stairs. We'll find a spot for the burnt orange chair. I don't remember suggesting the couches be moved recently, but maybe early on. The only thought I have for them will be adjusting them forward or back to make room for or balance with other things we're moving. For example, I was thinking the straight chairs and round table would work well in the corner by the two windows to the right of the FP. However, that may be tight with the sofa, but hugging the corner with them and pulling the sofa forward a bit might help. When you move the smaller chest to replace the skirted table, the art may be too wide for it. We can adjust some there when we finally get to the accessories. I have guests at the moment so will check back this afternoon to see how you're doing.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I pulled the armless chairs onto the shaggy rug and it was so funny...my son-in-law was over for dinner and he noticed it right away. He thought it looked good and he's got a good eye for things, so thanks again. I will move around the heavier furniture tomorrow when I have my husband's help. I am thinking what you've said about the game table and chairs being tight with the sofa, but I don't know for sure until I try. Enjoy your guests!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    How did the moving work out?
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi deco, I've played around with a lot of things you suggested. Unfortunately I'm running into some snags. I like the look of the table and chairs in the corner, but there just wasn't enough room. I'm going to upload some pictures and you'll see there's the dang DVR box that I have to contend with. It's wired there, so can't be moved. I would have to slide the loveseat all the way down for L formation with other couch in order to work and still the DVR box would be at your feet when you're at the table. I tried the table and chairs between the two couches as you can see, but I think it looks odd. I moved the buffet as suggested, but haven't changed the mirror yet. What do you think? I also moved the little orange chair onto the shaggy rug, as suggested. Is that ok? I like the look of the concrete table, hassock and basket under the window. Is it set up as you envisioned? Also moved the ferns down to the hearth level. Thanks again for your input!
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Played around with some other ideas. I know these all have issues, but I thought if I gave you lots of looks at different situations, it might be helpful.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Sorry I've been out of pocket on this. Too bad about the DVR - TV seems to be the biggest issue in getting decor right! If you put your smaller chest on that wall, would the DVR box fit inside it, maybe with a longer cord? You could drill a hole in the back of the chest for the cord to go though from inside. Art above it and perhaps another piece of blue ceramic, plate or vase decor would complete that corner vignette. Set the basket on that side of the hearth close to the FP. Flank the FP with the two straight chairs and use the table in the corner formed by the sofa arms when you pull the sofas closer together in a tighter "L." Yes, center the mirror and hang it vertically to be flanked and slightly overlapped by the lamps. The orange chair looks good there. I was thinking of the concrete table on that more formal side of your space. Put it behind the slipper chair on the wall to the right of the entry, under the art. The greenery looks much better on the hearth. They say you can never have too many occasional chairs, so I hope this will work better.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Went to bed thinking of your space. If the sofas are pulled together in an "L" you may get enough space behind the long one for the round table and two chairs to sit opposite the chest and mirror. That area is more spacious than I thought so that is a possibility. Would make for a quiet area to play a game or cards, and could probably still glance up and see TV reflected in the mirror. I hope you have the energy to keep trying ideas, because it will come together eventually.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Awww, you are so sweet to spend time thinking about my project. I am rather obsessed right now with getting everything arranged correctly. The first thing I do when I come home from work is start moving furniture. ;) Yes, I can drill a hole in the small chest and put the DVR in it. I am posting pics with the chairs flanking the FP. I love the look except the right side is a bit crowded as you can see. I don't like to move the love seat down bc then it is not centered under the window and that looks off balance to me. I put the concrete table in the more formal space. I like it, but do you think it looks like too many tables too close? Now seeing your most recent post. I really wanted the table to be a game table so I love that idea. I'm going to post pics of that too. Sometimes the pics don't load easily, but I'll try to get up what the houzz site will allow. Don't fret about the skirted table...it will be moved it's just too cumbersome to move out of area for me. Looking forward to your feedback.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are the photos of the game table. View from the entryway where the double front doors are and other views.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Lynnette, Yes, I agree about the chartreuse planters. They were so fun and cheap I couldn't resist, but they'll be going on my screened porch now that the weather is warmer. I hadn't seen all the pairs before...you're right! The buffet table is "in transition". Decoenthusiaste has been helping me with that look. Question #3 in my original post was to gather advice about drapes. Any photos or help you can give would be much appreciated!
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the drapery site. I am happy to have something with good prices! I do sew well enough to make simple pleat drapes. The chevron is a bit busy for my tastes. I was thinking neutral, but am not against adding some color. More ideas?
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    here is one idea. neutral but with the bit of orange your rooms need.
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    another idea.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Lynnette. I know it's hard to tell with monitors, but the orange in the chair is more of a burnt orange, so a rusty tone. The other color in the room is the greenish blue like the vase and pillow. I'm thinking a cotton fabric would be best. Is that your feeling too?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Country Curtains has a lined cotton drape named Yorkshire that comes in a color called mist. They will send out 10 fabric samples free, is you want to check out what they have. I've been pleased with their items. How's the arranging going?
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco-Did you see the pic of the game table behind the couch? What do you think? Also, how about the pic with the orange chair? I'll check out Country Curtains...thanks!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Just now trying to see, but they aren't enlarging for me to get eyes on them really close up. Will let you know.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    OK! Got them to work. Looking great! Love the game table set up.Just a thought or two. When not in use you can angle the chairs and add a nice silk floral arrangement in the center of the table. Take the blue pillows from the game chairs and put them across the room on the brown settee. Bring the brown ones to the cream sofas.I call it cross-pollinating color. I like the round metal and glass table best with the rust chair and it works really well there by the FP. I had in mind to put the concrete table on the other side of the entry. Someone could come around the corner and break a hip on it! lol! The other tall little table might work on the left side of the brown settee. I don't think it will be too high above the arm. They say even with or slightly above, so it should work. I'd remove the large fern/plant though. You need some place for the eye to rest, and drapes will provide eye candy in that area shortly. So glad the chest/DVR idea worked. Do you have a piece of art to go above it? Here's a big one; what about turning the rug the other direction, centering it with the window? Put the front feet of the small sofa on the short side of it, and do the same with the large one on the longer side of the rug. Hope I'm not mistaken about the size of it, but since you have the game area and passage behind the sofa, we might play with this idea for some more coziness. Are you game?
  • catbella123
    11 years ago
    Deco thanks for all you FAB ideas. I will definitely be trying some of your ideas and will post a pic as I progress.
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    this might look nice in the windows next to the fireplace.
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    or something like this...not so busy in the other room...
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco-I can't turn the rug because it would stick out past the opening to the other room, but it was an interesting idea. I will take some pictures this weekend showing some of the other changes you suggested. Big news! My husband told me we can get some new couches!! Interested in any ideas you or others may have.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lynnette-I think we're getting closer. What site did you find those pics?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Hard to judge with pics sometimes. I thought it would center on the FP and still leave space. I'll have to think about sofas. My only thought now is two matching ones, and no loveseat, but I'll think about it and look for something. I do think the legs should not show, since there are already plenty of leggy pieces in the room. Also keep in mind the style of the settee you already have. Do you want to go totally different from that, or keep some of the straight, formal lines? If this is the one TV room, something a bit more relaxed and comfortable would probably be better, especially if anyone likes to stretch out.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Check my Ideabook titled "Sofas" for some thoughts.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Deco, I tried looking for your ideabook, but couldn't find it. Under my profile (and others) it has ideabook listed as an option, but I couldn't find it on your profile. Yes, I would want the couches to be more relaxed and comfortable. Also we have young grandchildren who live nearby, so it needs to be "kid friendly". I was thinking of something like Pottery Barn slipcovered couches. They have a slipcover in a cream/beige color. Good thinking to have a style without exposed legs.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some updated photos showing the cross-pollinated pillows (tee hee, love that term), the rattan style table moved to the end of the settee and some accessory changes. I found the egg tree in my dining room and since the colors were right and Lynnette had said I needed more of the blue carried over I thought that might work. Please give me your feedback on that along with moving the statue to the painted hutch in front of the windows. I am open to any suggestions on the placement of accessories. Thank you so much for your great eye.
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Photos are having a hard time uploading...trying again.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    My "Sofas" ideabook is at the top of my Houzz page - I did it just for you, but I didn't upload any slipcovered sofas, although i did see some. When shopping for them you might keep this idea in mind. The shag rug is much less formal than the settee and other furniture, so it might work better on the TV/FP side of the room, moving the more formal patterned rug to the opposite side. Are they close in size? If you like the switch, you may want to consider that factor into your sofa's color choice. Like some of your "tweaks!" I was thinking about the rattan table turned the other direction and on the other side, but that would mean feet on and off the rug and might be bad for stability of the table. That's what triggered me thinking about switching your two rugs. Why not move the lamp to the other side? I still would like to see the feathery tree go. I wouldn't mind a low fern but it just seems tall, artificial, gangly and awkward. Could you cut the stalk off of it and make it into a lower plant? Not crazy about the egg tree, but that's up to you. I'd pull it more in front of the art to give that layered feeling. Might set the short jar on a small book to elevate it. .What happened to the other tall piece from the FP hearth? Where'd you find the lamps by the armless chairs? Like the ceramic drum but pull it up to the chair, so like the other one, there is a place to put down a glass or coffee cup. Have you tried it in the other space with the rust chair? That chair really needs something more than the corner where the concrete table is. Have you found any art for the cabinet by the FP?Here are two sofas I like because they only have back and seat cushions to fool with.
    Dominique 89-Inch Slipcovered Sofa · More Info
    Carlisle Slipcovered Sofa · More Info
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    What about curtains with these fabrics?
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry I've been off the site for a while. Busy with work and family. Deco, I looked at your profile again and still do not see your sofas ideabook. As a matter of fact, I don't see any of your ideabooks. When I click on your name to go to your profile, there's not much there. Am I doing something incorrectly? I like the idea of switching the rugs...yes, they are similar in size. I'll check with my husband. I turned the rattan table and I like it better. The feet on and off the shag don't make it unstable. I haven't moved it (or the lamp) to the other side of the couch yet, as I think it looks too empty over there without the tall fern. Once I get my curtains, I will make that move. I moved the ceramic drum to the rust chair and I like it there. The dominic couch in your posting looks similar to Pottery Barn. Can you give me the site where I can look at it and price it? I haven't had time to look for art for over the antique table by the FP. Any suggestions or good sites for that I would appreciate too. Thanks so much for all your help. It's coming together and I'm getting lots of compliments!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Welcome back! You're doing something wrong 'cause when I clicked on my name above my last comment to you it opened on my home page, the tab was open for Ideabooks and three were on display plus a button to click on more of them. You'll have to navigate to the correct tab. If you're in my profile I haven't listed much info, but just go to my page and you should find the Ideabooks. You can click on the title below the Dominique sofa and it will take you to the page where it, the price, and the mfg are listed. I'd encourage you to find some local art if possible - university art department can be a source. Try a local museum for options too. I'll see what others are suggesting here and let you know if I see something you might use.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I think you have too many things on the chest near the stairs. I was going to suggest the bulky leather chair on the left side of the fp but it seems you moved it out of the room and you are getting new sofas. happy for you! It just seems that area needs something other,than the small chairs or that table I saw in one pic. What about a nice palm tree there if not a bulky chair or a chest or perhaps once drapes up nothing there will look good. Very nice house!
  • skicounselor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Deco and others -Long time since I've been on. Our second grandson was born on Wednesday, so I've been a bit busy. :)
    My husband rehung the mirror over the buffet, but I need help with positioning of lamps and what else I should put on the buffet. Ideas?? Not sure how to position the blue glass vase either. Forgot to tell you, the two new reading floor lamps in the front room are from Wayfair. I love them! Also I moved the other small boston fern that was on the other side of the fp upstairs. Lynnette Grant had said I had too many pairs and it made the room look contrived. What do you think? Hope you're still interested in giving me advice!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Congratulations! Looks nice! I can't think of much to put on the buffet except for perhaps a big decorative bowl with balls in it or a pretty good sized rectangle box or go simple with a floral arrangement or decent sized glass containers for candles, maybe three or four containers across. Maybe some kind of a figurine!
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    If you are still looking for art options, you can check out our page for some ideas. Here is a set of two pieces that may work above your table, for example. Or you can just hang one of them. Our art can be ordered in any custom size... Raisa https://www.houzz.com/products/leaf-study-i-by-ben-and-raisa-gertsberg-fine-art-print-prvw-vr~2961823
    Leaf Study II, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
  • Ann
    11 years ago
    I'm new to this post today and read through most of it - I'm a bit lost about where things are now :) I love the larger piece of furniture near the stairs with the vertical mirror and 2 tall lamps. I wouldn't put anything else on that piece but I might move the lamps in toward each other just a few inches each. That is a fantastic change since the original post. I also liked when you moved the two ferns from the hearth to the floor, but maybe that's changed again - not sure. The other thing I didn't like in the very first picture of the post was the metal and glass table with shelves that is under the window and right next to the pretty light blue chest of drawers. I think the chest is beautiful but shouldn't have a table right next to it. But, I'm not sure that's where it is anymore.
    Congrats on the new grandson. I have 4 young granddaughters and that will be it for me - but I have a son so I've had the pleasure of raising a boy too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Congrats on the new little one! I think the mirror is a great improvement. Move the lamps so that about 1/3 of the shade on each is in front of the mirror and reflects in it to get the layered effect going. I'd try to find new shades - maybe a way to pick up your blue again. Don't rule out new, slightly shorter lamps with bases that match the mirror frame. I think if you put a tall floral arrangement on the game table it will reflect in the mirror and all you'll need is a low bowl between the lamps. Would love to see how the settee, floor lamp and table arrangement has worked it you care to post. Are you still considering flipping the rugs? Guess you haven't had time to shop for a sofa yet. Well, we'll get back on track. Are the new parents nearby or did you have to travel to the birth?