Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindadbartlett

Shiplap Quandary

lindadbartlett
7 years ago

I'm thinking about making this bare wall with pantry cupboard a feature wall with shiplap and two wide pine shelves (7 high x36 long x8" deep). The pine shelves are a mix of light and dark pine from Ballard Designs. The back splash above the counter on the facing wall is dark, narrow subway slate tile. My kitchen cupboards are a mix of medium-stained oak and darker mahogany. First Q: Is shiplap a good idea and, if so, what color? And, second Q: Should it be left natural lighter pine with some knots... or painted the same color as the other walls (pale gray/green sage) or even cream?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

IMO that concept doesn't work with the rest of your kitchen area. No shiplap. I would stain the pantry doors dark, because they look completely disconnected from the kitchen.

• lindadbartlett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought about staining the pantry cupboard doors dark and putting up the mantle-style shelves to display some dishes and glassware that I frequently use. But it seems like the wall could use some texture. Maybe I'm wrong. This wall is actually the backside of the fireplace and I considered bricking the wall, but that would be overkill considering the dark subway slate back splash.

• karielen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Instead of the shiplap, which I think might look a bit too rustic with the pantry doors, I would consider making it a feature wall, painting it the same darker color as the slate, with the shelving.

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I agree with Beverly - the shiplap and the pine do not go with your other finishes. If you want to change something, update the hall cupboard doors.

• oliviag55
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Shiplap is the next big tearout, imo. So many people place it where it has no purpose or meaning.

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    I would want to paint the cupboard doors on that wall the same colour paint you have on the wall and hang a nice colourful art piece. It would really add interest to that space
  • Pool Habit
    7 years ago
    Just wondering, are you thinking of making all your kitchen the mahogany color? I think that would look great and of course the pantry door too.
  • Angie B
    7 years ago
    Shiplap seems like a creative idea, a person should try a few pieces out on a wall to see how you like them, then make your decision. All those colors you have also work together and mix and match is whats in now .. just have to figure out how to bring it all together.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Linda, you have received some helpful suggestions. If you are still considering shiplap, there may be a product that might fit well in the space. Check out the Pioneer Series Interior MDF Wall Panels. The product is a primed tongue and grooved nickel gap giving a similar look of shiplap. Here is a sample photo that we installed that has not yet been painted. The boards are very clean and smooth. We have seen several applications of the wall boards where the finished product is painted the same color as the entire room. The addition of the wall boards gives the room additional character and dimension. Just a thought.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH