Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rerod

Solid surface suggestions for 57" wide bathroom..

rerod
7 years ago

I bought three kerdi shower kits and planned on installing tile
showers / floors. But after my divorce, reading the "tile your world" book and reading about people with failures and regretting the cleaning of tile shower floors. I now
realize there are so many ways to install shower tile the wrong way
and I'm reluctant to try because I have no experience and even less time since I'm alone now. I found a great
local tile setter, but he didn't want to use epoxy grout and stopped communicating with me.

So I'm considering a solid surface shower (yes it looks like a hotel and they use S.S. for a good reason) as I like the fact stains can be sanded/polished out and there
are no grout lines to crack or stain. It sounds easier to install and more bullet proof than tile. I found Onyx makes a 54" wide shower pan which is close to my 57".

Does anyone have first hand experience or feed back / comparisons concerning solid
surface shower's like Swanstone, Corian, Kohler
Choreograph, Onyx solid surface and cultured marble or any others? I'm not wealthy but don't mind spending money for longevity.

I want a shower that will out last me, and plan on renting my home out after I retire in ten years.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• H B
    7 years ago

I don't know how to link to previous discussions but if you search for "choreograph" a few will come up. I have a choreograph and a swanstone; didn't install either myself. Installation instructions for both of these systems can be found online. The wall pieces are very heavy, and you'd need two people for carrying those and fitting them (not all walls are perfect so the pieces need to be dry-fit, and trimmed to fit properly). I don't care to clean grout (and all the tile failure stories here scared me, we don't know a great tiler). I do think if one designs well, the material selection and integration can look nice regardless of tile or solid surfaces. Both the choreograph and swanstone have a matte finish, each is a little different. Swanstone, if purchased as a kit, comes with two soap corners and cove molding for the wall junctions (so that would cover/seal if there was a gap). Possibly it could be slightly more forgiving on the install because of this. The choreograph color goes through the product but not the pattern. Swanstone the pattern goes through the entire product.

rerod thanked H B
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I've built several solid surface showers, 1/2" or 1/4" thick acrylic or polyester panels, not 3/4" thick cultured marble or Swanstone. The latter are fine, but not to be confused with solid surface, please.

It depends on how handy and experienced you are with the product. A serious DIYer with a proven track record who can follow instructions probably won't have many problems. It's not that it's so difficult, but things have to be done a certain way.

The showers are spectacular. Mold and mildew cannot live on solid surface, plus no grout to maintain or clean.

rerod thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Agree.

These aren't your cheap motel plastic enclosure kits.

• rerod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks HB.. I searched "choreograph" and found the discussion you were talking about and seems everyone is happy except for a few factory and delivery issues.

Joseph Corlett.. When you say..

"I've built several solid surface showers, 1/2" or 1/4" thick acrylic or
    polyester panels, not 3/4" thick
    cultured marble or Swanstone. The
    latter are fine, but not to be confused with solid surface, please."

Why isn't swanstone and cultured marble considered solid surface? I think I read cultured marble has a clear coat so you cant sand/buff out stains, but the swanstone can. Which system do you feel is doable for one person and would be the best refinish able choice for a rental yet still look high end? Getting my son to help is like pulling teeth because he usually only shows up when he needs money.

nosoccermom.. I don't think Iv ever seen a cheap plastic enclosure in a hotel. The Marriott I stayed in had SS and looked like polished marble. Its been a long time since Iv seen tile in a hotel and I'm guessing its because of the grout, the time it takes to keep it clean and potential failures.

One of the reasons I wanted tile was because of my odd ball bathroom size of 57" wide. Does anyone know a system other than Onyx's 54" which would come closer to my 57", short of ordering a custom pan? On the other hand. If stains on the Onyx system cant be sanded/buffed out or if another system is vastly superior, I wouldn't have a problem using a 48" width.

Thanks!

• H B
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't think solid walls are possible with one person. You'd need someone to help the day of the installation, because they are just too heavy to carry. I will try to post a photo of how they braced the walls so you can see what would be needed to do (it was up for 24-plus hours) after the walls were glued in (glue being whatever the directions called for, think it was silicone). (ETA photo below, couldn't edit it in to this post)

rerod thanked H B
  • Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

HB, thank you so very much for the photo! I have been planning a solid surface shower for my bathroom remodel for three years. I have purchased almost everything but the shower-pan and walls and am hemming and hawing about my shower pan issues because I need a roll-in type.... But seeing an actual photo of a shower in real life is SO rare! Is this the Swanstone wall? Which color? Swanstone Tundra? Ice? These are the colors I am deciding between, so seeing your photo is a gift, indeed.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

I have always heard the Swanstone product considered to be solid surface. I wonder if, because we are in the world of bathrooms now, the existance of the evil Veritek under the Swanstone name has downgraded the whole line in people's eyes. Rerod, don't forget that you may mix the walls and shower pan, as HB has done. It may be worth it to spend on the pan versus moving the walls. Another idea would be to add a toe rest shelf that is essentially a 3 inch bench to the side wall, as lkplatow did in their shower. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4261267/master-bathroom-reveal-cottage-farmhouse-vintage-style?n=6

It is the 9th photo down.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I meant to say that today's solid surface bathroom products in upscale hotels are different from the Motel 6 ones.

vs

• rerod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I asked a new question, "[Which solid surfaces are refinish able? Sandable polishable[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-solid-surfaces-are-refinish-able-sandable-polishable-dsvw-vd~4260627)" because Iv read the onyx collection has a sealer which I assume would need to be reapplied if you polished out a stain.

Joseph Corlett replied, "You want to get an acrylic or polyester sheet with an aluminum tryhydrate filler, Corian, Avonite, Staron, LG Hauseys HI-MACS available at lowes, Livingstone, Wilsonart" Im not sure why he didn't include Swanstone.

I imagine the above manufacturers are quite expensive. But so is replacing another shower when it starts to look crumby.

Mixing a shower pan with different walls is a possibility and if I did that, I would lean towards a cast iron receptor like kohler makes maybe.

Swanstone refinishing

I'm not sure why swanstone and cultured marble aren't considered SS. But Iv read cultured marble also has a sealer or clear coat like the onyx collection, which would make refinishing difficult.

Ahh decisions decisions.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Rerod, in bathrooms, Swanstone also makes a product known as Veritek. It is not like its usual solid surface kitchen counter material like its other colors, but a less expensive material that is available in two or three colors only. Because it is sold as Swanstone Veritek, it may, in peoples' minds, stain the reputation of the whole Swanstone line.

rerod thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Also, Rerod, I believe that we shall find that when we spend on the high quality solid surface showers, we will find that refinishing is not even ever needed. They will never look crummy because of their quality.

I agree that cultured marble is not in the same class as swanstone or other solid surfaces. It has that shiny outer finish and once that is worn, it looks like crap. As a matter of fact, I would say that having an outer surface that is not just polished, but that has a finish on it, disqualifies a material from being called a solid surface. Is that not right? A solid surface material is one that is the same through and through. It can take a shine if you polish it, but you may also leave it matte.

rerod thanked Nancy in Mich
  • rerod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Nancyunmich. Veritek isn't even on my radar as its a step down from swanstone, which Im not considering.

I hope I don't ever need to refinish my new shower. But if and when I do, at least I picked a product which can be.

I just received a call back from Avonite regarding a complete DIY kit
    for the 42” Neo angle shower. They do sell to the public and are
    emailing more information.

From what Joseph Corlett told me, Avonite is a solid 1/4" acrylic sheet with an aluminum tryhydrate filler which is renewable.

• weedyacres
    7 years ago

I've used both Swanstone and Onyx shower bases with tiled walls. Good results with both.

rerod thanked weedyacres