Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarad

Babz
12 years ago
Love the sculpture and it's a fabulous contrast next to the horiz. ipe. I have a modern 50's home and would love something like this for the front. Can you tell me anything about it? Artist, material or where I could source something similar? It's so hard to find good contemporary garden art. Thank you so much!
Lovell Residence · More Info

Comments (4)

• Sheila Schmitz
    12 years ago
    I agree with you, barbard. This sculpture really completes this scene. I've been keeping an eye out for some contemporary sculpture, too. You might try your local gallery, or do a search for sculpture festivals. I know there's a big one in Loveland, CO: http://www.sculptureinthepark.org/
  • PRO
    Quezada Architecture
    12 years ago
    Thanks for the question... the sculpture was done by Dick O'Hanlon in the 50's I believe. He was the brother-in-law of the previous owners of our house and his wife founded the O'Hanlon Center for the Arts, a non-profit community art center which is adjacent to our property. I wish we owned it but they were kind enough to loan us the sculpture for the photo as it is part of their permanent collection. I agree with Sheila- getting something local (especially if it is heavy and made of bronze like this one) will be most cost effective for you and it is nice to have some connection to the artist . Good luck!!
  • ohanlon
    12 years ago
    Hi Barbarad-- The bronze piece in the photo is by Mill Valley, CA artist Dick O'Hanlon (1906-1985) and is called "Inner Fortress" (1961). Dick taught sculpture at UC Berkeley and traveled worldwide studying various creative techniques. He, David Smith and Henry Moore corresponded regularly and compared new approaches to working in metal and stone. Take a look at our website for more information on the artist: www.ohanloncenter.org/DickOHanlon.html I agree with the other two comments as well—local art fairs are great sources for new work, or if you are looking for something vintage you could try 1stdibs.com or even EBay.com. Good luck!
  • Babz
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful history and sources for contemporary garden sculpture.